Posts by alerich

I have a KPA powered head. When I first bought it I was running it into assorted conventional guitar cabinets. I left the cab sims turned on and though it sounded fine. I honestly could not tell much difference with the cab sims off or on in most profiles. I have since moved to a pair of Yamaha DXR10 powered monitors running off the KPA monitor output. Of course, now I can clearly hear the difference when I turn off the cab sims.

Of the models listed the only one I have used is the BOSS TR-2 and I was pretty happy with it. A few months before I bought my Kemper I built a new pedal board with all TC Electronic pedals and I have a Pipeline Tremolo pedal there. It was much more transparent and less"digital" sounding than the BOSS pedal but it is not on the list. I have been a big BOSS pedal fan forever but I love the TC Electronic stuff.

I have noticed the same thing. I have a powered toaster but use the monitor output to feed a pair of Yamaha DXR10 powered speakers. I think this is caused by the power amp boost. Mine is currently set to 6 dB. If I shut it off and increase the master 6dB it seems to be the same result or sounds very close. Someone with a more thorough understanding of the unit may be able to elaborate. According to the manual the power amp and monitor output are in parallel so the boost will affect both.

I don't think there is an objective answer to the question. Everyone's ears and needs are different. It would be great to find a local retailer who stocked all the major suspects so you could try them all with your own Kemper and decide. That wasn't possible so "flying blind" I trusted Yamaha's reputation and the overwhelmingly positive reviews I read from other Kemper users.

I use two Yamaha DXR10 speakers as floor wedges and I'm quite happy with the sounds. I would likely have purchased the Atomic CLR if you could actually get them but you can't. My two Yamaha speakers cost only 20% more than one CLR, suit my needs well and were delivered the next day. Can you tell I'm not a fan of companies who cannot solve the riddle of supply chain logistics?

I have had my Kemper for two months. Traded a like new Boogie JP-2C that I never played for a like new powered toaster, foot controller and Kemper bag. I picked it up on a Friday evening. It had a bunch of profiles in it but they looked mostly like the pre-loaded Kemper profiles. I dove right in to profiling. Profiled many of my amps that weekend. Nothing high tech. Just an SM57 and an XLR cable. I know the basics about mic placement. I went with the first take on all of them.

I'll echo the sentiments of the others in this thread. One of the things the Kemper has taught me is that there is not a huge world of difference from one clean tone to another or one crunch tone to another or one heavy distorted tone to another... when I'm the one playing them. I sound like me no matter what I am playing through. There was no real reason to own that rack of amps that I own. Get one good amp and play.

I bought a couple profile packs each from MBritt, Top Jimi and Amp Factory. They all sound great. Which profiles do i play the most often? The ones I made that first weekend of my own amps. I could easily gig with one performance slot with five profiles in it. If you are a record producer working with many different guitarists and bands I can see how a library of great profiles might be useful but day to day I don't really need that.

As far as the "age of the unit" discussion goes, the only people that seem to worry about that are Fractal owners who have been conditioned (by Fractal) to have to shell out a lotta long green paper stuff for a new model every so often. They keep trying to sell that paranoia to Kemper owners on a regular basis.

I traded for the powered unit because that's what the other guy had but I do not use the power amp. I did use it at first through a variety of guitar cabs and it sounds good but after about a week I pulled the trigger on a Yamaha DXR10 based on the reviews it gets here in the forum. Good choice. I really like it. Bought a second DXR10. I don't gig anymore or record much. My regular playing routine consists of cueing up a song on my stereo and playing along. I have my music connected to the DXR10's patched in stereo. I set them up as floor monitors. My Kemper and my tunes come both coming from the same source sounds great. Granted, I live in a farmhouse with no neighbors real close by so volume is not an issue.

if you want my honest opinion, a Kemper / Fractal / Helix / Whatever is way overkill for the situation you are describing. I have a Yamaha THR5. It's a great little device. Based on the information you have given I think a THR10 would be a great choice. It sounds like it would suit your needs (great basic clean, crunch and lead tones at a manageable volume) and save you a boat load of money.

I think you should get the THR10 and call it a day.

New Kemper owner. First time poster. I have this same issue, if you want to call it that. I find it to be only a minor inconvenience. I have a Mission EP-1 connected to the Kemper foot controller. The switch is connected to port 5 and the pedal to port 6. I have the jacks set up for 5 - switch and 6 - expression. On those profiles that I have a wah assigned I always do so in Stomp slot A. If I boot up the Kemper and the profile on boot up (the last one I used) has a wah assigned in Stomp slot A it is engaged as soon as the Kemper completes boot up. I have not moved the wah to other slots to test them. I simply turn the wah off and carry forth.

It's worth mentioning that in my setup my cable connecting the Mission EP-1 to the foot controller is a Dual TRS cable, meaning both sides are TRS. Using a TRS where you only need a TS should not pose an issue. I had assumed that my use of a TRS for the switch connection might have been causing my glitch but after reading this thread I doubt that this is causing it on my system since others are experiencing it, as well. Otherwise it functions normally. I use a Dual TRS cable since that is what I had on hand.

Edited to add: I just tried the Mono/Dual/Profiler switch setting advice in the post above and that seems to have solved it. Thanks!

Edited again: I spoke too soon. I had not waited until the controller was fully booted. Still doing it.