Posts by ajbsmirnoff

So.

About 10 years ago I got a JMP-1, and started collecting rack gear. Around 4-5 years ago I got a Triaxis and decided to try and get the ADA MP-1 to have 'the big three' . This week - we've unlocked this task.

Yes, there is some crossover between them (the Triaxis does a british crunch and Fenderish clean, the MP-1 does blistering Marshall tones, as does the JMP-1 etc etc etc. I don't care.

This one is the MP-1 Classic with an improved noise gate, and a 'brown' channel to go with the solid state/tube clean, and tube distortion. Its in exceptionally clean condition with very little wear and tear.

Sounds decent. And I'm always surprised and delighted when midi controllable devices change preset/react to midi commands.

Well now, I have done a thing

I've bought something I've desired for a while to add to my preamp collection

Its an ADA MP-1.

The last of the 'big three' midi preamps to go with my Triaxis and JMP-1............. and the rest of my retro rack.

I've made a space in my rack and prepared some pre-wiring for when it arrives.

Sure, I bought my Kemper as a way of not having to buy ANY of those preamps. Or amps, but it kinda made me want them more.

I don't think everyone is gonna sell their Stage for a ToneX One tomorrow......

Me neither. This week we have the wave of dudes who got a freebie to review under embargo.

But the YooToob 'KeMpEr Is DoOmEd' bandwaggon is probably leaving the station right now with dudes frantically recording as we type....

.....with the internet pitchforks and torches on standby.

Although. To be fair. I bought my Kemper at a time when lots were being sold as a way of getting a bargain.

I like things like the Tonex. Getting folks into profiling amps and having access to a huge array of tones.

FX. At a great price. I don't know if the wee Tonex One can profile (possibly doesn't have enough i/o), but its a great pedal for adding amps or drive pedals to a board.

The Kemper is a self contained profiler - no extra devices necessary. Tonex needs a computer and software to do the profiling while the pedal acts as a usb audio interface.

Kemper is also a fully featured digital multi-FX. Direct competitors ? Maybe not - but I can't see everyone ditching their Kempers to go full Tonex. Though I can forsee a plethora of Youtube videos suggesting "Everyone is selling their Kempers" like the "Everyone has sold their Helix" videos last month.

Thanks for all the responses! ...................................You are all nice people.

So we're not getting the torches and pitchforks out ?

Bah !!

Also, that is a nice rig Ruefus !! Nice !! I got a KoT for my 50th birthday....... Although it arrived sometime around my 53rd birthday.

I have profiles I've added an FX loop to (in the signal chain position for that effect) - then resaved them as a new profile. It may be a pain losing a slot in a profile you've bought - or having to edit it to move an FX - but its not the end of the world. While its simpler to have the fx loop locked in place, its also cool being able to have the loop anywhere, making it specific top each profile - which is0 what I eventually settled on. If it was fixed in position - there'd likely be a mob with a whole bunch of pitchforks and torches waving in the air.

I have the FX loop permanently cabled to a patch bay (patchbays are COOL in racks) so its really easy to patch pedals - or a whole pedal board into the loop. You could have a simple loop pedal on your board cabled to the Kemper.

I really like those hangers for the headphones and cables.

I use some (sadly discontinued) folding coat hooks screwed to the side of my Ikea rack. And an Ikea book stand to hold pedals on my desk. #meatballsoptional