Posts by ajbsmirnoff

Profiling is not hard at all and is done in a few minutes. I found the hardest thing to do was to run the cables to the Kemper and tell my wife to go outside for a while.

Cabling - already in place. The wife thing though.......... tricky.

edit - Actually, Kemper adding the control of profiling to RigManager would be something I should try out.

Maybe.

Full disclosure. I've only used my Kemper to play other folks profiles. (the free profiles in the K, and the Rig Exchange are great. And the profiles available for the unobtanium preamps are super). Sooooooo I may have a bit of learning curve to go through.

Have fun!!
    This was actually the amp I played for years before buying a Kemper. I played it with a Marshall 4x12” 1960V.

It has a lot of great sounds and with the Midi control it can be used for almost any style.

But… I used it mostly in the first two channels since the other channels have a lot of gain, to much form my taste.

Yep - OD2 gets really gainy !

Update.

WooHoo !! I've cabled the input and FX loop to my rack's patchbay to place the preamp into a Helix Fx loop for IR based fun&games. This works VERY well (and is how its going to be used goin forward).

Tried it with my realworld cabs to find - as expected - its great, and delivers volume in large amounts. I have the TSL C212 2x12 cab which was rebadged to the JVMc212 when the JVMs appeared -so its technically the matching cab for the amp (although a 2x 4x12 stack would be the day dream). It tames itself with the master volume fairly well - down to a 'usable at home if there's no one at home' level. Compared with the Boss Katana 100w head this bad boy delivers thump and volume fairly quickly on the master volume whereas the Boss delivers volume a bit more progressively.

Super happy !

So. I bought a Marshall amp. A used one. For my collection.

I had a TSL602 and loved it. Although I sold it as it was too loud unless you were taking its FX send into an IR at non-tinnitus inducing volumes. This one has a dedicated silent recording output. And more channels, gain, knobs and buttons. And MIDI !! Its way heavier than I realised. And physically bigger.

In my defence I was left unsupervised.

Yep

Its cool to be able to use the same cab with different amps / digital amp models to get a feel for how good the models are getting (Amplitubes new Mesa models are really very good). For a free bit of software (they had a giveaway a couple of years ago) its outrageously good.

I use Cantabile to string together FX chains of plugins along with real-world gear instead of a DAW. Nembrini have just releasd a similar application called Nexus which looks simpler to use (are guitarists simple people ? Maybe, maybe not :D).

I use my pc to edit my Kemper rack, and a Helix as a midi controller.

To add a midi PC assignment to a profile, I have to switch the kemper on, find and load the profile, then scroll through the midi PC assignments till an empty one appears, assign it, make a note of it, go back to my pc and HX edit and assign that midi PC to a footswitch. Sure it doesn't take long.

But if I could do it all with Rig manager, it would be way quicker and convenient.

I don't use performance mode at all -and dismissing a suggestion based on 'I can't personally see a use for it' isn't cool.

I can twiddle all of the EQ knobs and FX setting on the Kemper too - why bother having the ability to change them in a profile on RM ?

Why bother having the ability to edit profiles in RM with the Kemper switched off. But not the midi PC assignment.

NPD.

I got this early last week. Its pretty cool.

I've got a small collection of guitar synth devices, and I've been curious about the EHX pedals. They're interesting - no appreciable latency, and fairly nice sounds.

On their own, the mellotron sounds are fairly lo fi (as they were), they work really well with chorus (particularly the DC-3 above), delay, and reverb making them richer. I'm definitely interested in the Synth9 and String9 now.