Posts by xzyryabx

I had the same thing happen to me!

Just got the stage recently, was super happy with it then upgraded to the latest software and it started to sound digital, phasey, ice-picky!

I had not had much time with the Kemper before the upgrade so I started doubting if it really ever sounded good and maybe the honey moon period was now over and I'm now really hearing what this sound like.

I double checked all the global settings to see if I may have done something but they all seemed OK.

I contacted support and asked them how to do a full factory reset of the unit, followed their instructions and brought it back to factory spec, re-loaded all my profiles and bingo, back in business!!

Don't worry, you are not losing your mind and there is nothing wrong with your unit!

Firstly, do not underestimate the Forum's Search-Bar; There is (what feels like) an infinite amount of information on here, with many individuals asking the same questions.

Also, if you haven't already, download the Main Manual from this link https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

Note: Read EVERYTHING.. the Kemper has many tricks up its sleeves

I've actually started going through ALL the threads since 2012 just for the hell of it....only 180 more to go!

\m/

Thanks both.

As I said in a different thread I'm still trying to get my head about the profiling concept since I've only used physical and VST amps before!

Does the signal chain of profiles usually have a mic-pre in there or does the mic go straight to the kemper?

Thanks all.

Some great input here.

I've never used a modeler before, and my impression of them was essentially a digital version of a real amp, where all the components and circuitry was emulated to essentially make a copy of the amp, and I figured the kemper as a profiler was doing the same thing in a different way, so I guess I'm still getting my head around the concept and use of the Kemper!

I actually still have a tube-amp which I'm going to profile and A/B as suggested, I'm sure that'll help put things in perspective. I was using it with a Two Notes Torpedo since I sold off my cabs so I'm going to create a direct amp profile and run that through the two notes. Everything else in the chain will be exactly the same except for the amp, so that should give me a clear image of what this thing can do. Can't wait to get back home to test this out.

The amp is an ENGL Ironball BTW. I haven't seen too many profiles for that so I'll throw it up on RE once I get done in case anybody else wants it.

I'm pretty new to this Kemper thing so this may have been discussed before, but from what I understand the Kemper just profiles one state of the amp and from there extrapolates algorithmically how each of the EQs/Gain/presence/etc. pots would react. This results in a less-than-realistic emulation, so we are essentially stuck with that one state, and any adjustment to the pots pushes us farther away from the true amp sound.

To my novice mind ideally the pots would be swept during the profiling process to more accurately capture how they affect the tone and also give us 1-to-1 reactivity to more accurately mimic the amps?

It would be nice as well for the Kemper to have empty "slots" to account for additional functionality, as applicable, to capture things like a "contour" switch or the various Mesa Mark V mode switches.

I.e. get an amp-in-a-box vs sound-in-a-box.

I understand that that is more up the alley of a standard modeler as opposed to a profiler but I don't see why a profiler couldn't do that as well?

Say I want to find a direct amp profile of a few amps amps that are my bread-and-butter, say a few ENGLs, a few Diezels, a few Mesas, and I want to find profiles of each with all the amp EQ set at noon (flat). With the idea being of combining that with the Two Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound so I can choose not only the cab that I want but also the mic and importantly the mic position.

What's the best and most cost-effective way to go about that? There are so many profiles and profilers out there that it gets overwhelming, and each profiler/producer seems to only sell rig packs. Also, it seems to be more difficult to get pure amp profiles w/o the rest of the stack, and more importantly w/o any boost and settings at noon.

Is there anything wrong with this train of thought?

Sorry for the noon question, but maybe I have misunderstood the other posters, but from what I understand EQs can go in three positions: Before the stack, b/w the amp and cab, and after the stack.

The first and 3rd I know how to add....but what about adding after the amp but before the cab?

Are they referring to the profiles basic EQ (bass/mid/high)?

Or are they referring to adding an EQ in the loop (which in a normal amp is b/w the pre and post amps)? If this is what they are referring to, how do you do that in the Kemper with a virtual EQ?

And if adding a physical EQ in the loop, where exactly does that place it in the kemper since there really is no such a thing as pre and post amp?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes Ruefus, disengaging in output by unchecking, switch to another rig then back again....and it's back on.

Wheresthedugs' explanation seems to make perfect sense and explains what I have experiences....but that is so non-intuitive! I guess I'm going to keep it off in the Output section so my Rigs that don't need it aren't affected.

Since Pure Cab ins't a global setting then and shouldn't be in the output section, better to keep it rig specific to avoid this confusion.

Is Pure Cab the only setting in output which isn't truly global?

Here's the response from support in case anybody is interested. The last part talks about the issue I was having with the volume displays. Surprised they didn't clarify the not-so-global Pure Cab like Where did, or maybe I misunderstood them.

the Output Section is global, which means it is locked by definition. Pure Cabinet has a global and a Rig specific component. This is what the Main Manual says about

PURE CABINET

As mentioned in the previous chapter, mic'ed guitar cabinets often have an unpleasant, “phasey” sound in the high-end frequencies – something you don’t get if you listen to a guitar cabinet directly, without a microphone. PURE CABINET™ will gently polish the sound of the virtual (mic'ed) guitar cabinet to bring it closer the sound of the direct guitar cabinet. The fundamental character of the sound will still be maintained.

All applications that use the mic'ed sound (virtual guitar cabinet) of the PROFILER can benefit from PURE CABINET: recordings, live venues, full-range monitors, in-ear monitors, or just noodling with headphones on. It adapts naturally to the individual sound of each guitar cabinet - the more unbalanced the original guitar cabinet, the more impact it will have. With amp sounds that are fully clean, PURE CABINET is hardly noticeable.

PURE CABINET is available as a global setting in the Output Section and affects all Rigs that you listen to. However, the original sound of each Rig remains unchanged, and you can switch PURE CABINET on or off whenever you like. There are two parameters for PURE CABINET in the Output Section, on the “Output AddOns” page: use the corresponding soft knob to set the desired amount and use the corresponding button to do a quick A/B comparison against the original cabinet sound. To completely disengage the global PURE CABINET, you must uncheck the switch, as it still has an effect even when the controller is at zero.

If you would rather have individual settings of PURE CABINET per Rig or cabinet preset, there is a second parameter in the cabinet module. There is no switch for the local parameter - it is disengaged by setting it to zero. Both values of PURE CABINET interact such that the larger of the two values is always given priority and will be applied as the actual intensity of the PURE CABINET effect.

! Check out tutorial videos, which explain and demonstrate PURE CABINET at: www.kemper-amps.com/video

Regarding the greyed out Monitot Output Volume and Link … this might be a left over of a slightly different MONITOR OUTPUT architecture of classical PROFIELR models. Please make sure to use latest OS revision e. . 7.1.1 and perform the following reset of global settings:

Thanks both.

Yes, I did double-check that I did not have a wah in any of the FX slots. I don't have an external pedal.

Since I made this post I came across a number of other threads with users complaining about this cocked way kinda sound. It seems to be associated with some higher gain amps and an on-axis 57. A number of "fixes" were suggested and I will try them out when I am back home.

I appreciate that this is the sound of a mic'ed cab, but I have miced cabs before and the tone was much cleaner and more robust.

I have also played with the Pure Cab feature, and that does not seem to be the cause.

On that note, can someone help me out with this:

Are Output Settings Global?

I will post a clip of a free profile that I'll get from RE so others can compare if needed. I think that is the best way to explain what I am hearing and to figure out how to resolve.

In the interim, can someone please let me know how to do a factory rest on the stage so I can rule out that I did something to cause this? The instructions I have found here and on the web all appear to be for the toaster/rack and haven't worked on the stage. I contacted support over a week ago and never heard back.

Hi Guys.

New to the Kemper (got a stage) and have been on a roller coaster of emotions recently.

I thought I was in love, then I tried to record and it sounded terrible...my tones sound thin and have this cocked-wah kind of sound and are noisy. The sound is even more pronounced using headphones (Suhr SRH840), but generally similar to my monitors (Yamaha HS8)I've tried a whole bunch of free/paid profiles and none sound even remotely as good as I remember.

Now I can't unheard that sound...and starting to doubt if it ever sounded good!

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

I just went through the system/input/output settings and everything seems to check out.

I'm on the latest firmware BTW (Rig Manager asked me if I wanted to update last night).

Is there any way to do a complete system reset so I can rule out if it was b/c of anything I did?

The manual says yes, but I keep turning off "Pure Cab" and when I change to a different rig and come back to check "Pure Cab" is back on....the lock feature doesn't seem to work for the "output"as it does for the "input".

Also, I am connecting my Kemper via the monitor outs to my two Yamaha HS8s, so I set both main/monitor outputs as master stereo on p 1/7 and send 1 output as off, but on p 2/7 monitor volume (and monitor out link) are greyed out. So are the send volume and link but that makes sense since they are off. Main volume/link and headphone volume/link are not greyed out which also makes sense since on p1/7 they are both on.

When at the main rig page (landing page) and I change the mast volume, main/monitor/headphone volumes have an asterisk next to them, but only main/headphone have values that change with the knob.

Help!

I'm using a Kemper Stage BTW.

The Looper text on my Kemper Stage looks like it should be back lit, I even get bleed from the tuner text backlight....but it never goes on!

I thought mine might have a faulty backlight but I've checked out a ton of other Stage videos and they all behave that way.....what's going on?

And yes, I am using the latest available stable stage firmware.