Posts by poppunk

Not sure if anyone is following the thread on TGP (maybe someone posted it in this thread and I missed it?) but the tech from Diezel chimed in and explained that the device does not prevent profiling the amp, instead it simply remembers that the amp was profiled. The point being to give the dealers a tool to know when someone has purchased an amp to profile it and then return it for a refund. I'm going to be honest and say that I think this is a good idea, it does not seem fair that someone would purchase an amp, profile it and then return it for a refund, especially if they sell the profiles. I have no idea how often this happens but I suspect that it does to some extent.

I've posted over there on this; anything beyond just gathering information is a risk to them anyway. If they were to cut the amp out in some manner believing it was profiled, at a minimum they are opening themselves up to a bug that could disable amps and aggravate their customer base.

I definitely get the "buy the amp to profile it and send it back". It may be legal and within the framework of the seller/buyer agreements, but I'd argue that it's wrong, particularly when a profit is being made. That action violates the good faith existence of return agreements. Just because something is legal or agreed to doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, particularly with companies who go a long way to make sure customers are taken care of.

Even if you're not down with profiling and think it steals IP (I don't know of IP that exists that is simply things like frequency response and transform results, but I don't agree given my knowledge), there are lots of people who own the amps they profile and use it for convenience, including mid to high end touring artists. It's not as simple as "bought a Kemper, didn't own the amp".

Also, I'm pretty sure Sum 41 is straight up using Kempers now.

Except for Steve-O. That guy quit years ago and is apparently a real estate agent in Arizona or something.

Grew up playing the genre (and skate punk), am in a skate punk band right now (or at least I'll go back to being in one when we're allowed to do things).

General advice: unless you're in Pennywise and want to mid scoop and make the guitar hard to hear, it's still really critical to crank your mids.

While there have been some outliers, the bulk of guitar players in the genre have played:

- Marshall JCM800 (sometimes JCM900)

- Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier

- Orange AD30 (or more recently) Rockerverb 50

Standard gear in the early 2000s with two guitar players was:

- One playing a LP, the other playing a strat (sometimes two LPs, and sometimes a SG was thrown in there)

- Both guitar players playing Dual Rectifiers (it was endemic)

- Bass player playing a P Bass or StingRay through an SVT head and refrigerator cab

I've preferred Orange for awhile. For the stock profiles on Kemper, I've found I like the GB- Oranje RV 50 808 as my primary with Gibson 490T pickups. I found one of the Dual Rec profiles with an 808 that worked well for me but I can't remember which one it is without investigating. I don't like the Marshall high situation. Having that Tube Screamer thrown up front works pretty well for me too.

Note that I primarily got my Kemper for another band which has a lot of complicated amp/effects stuff going on. It's kind of overkill for this kind of music for me.

I've had my Stage for almost two weeks as well. I played my first show with it Thursday with one band. What was coming out of the monitor was insane. Just...insane. And all I was doing was mostly using the stock Orange Rockerverb/TS808 and a Dual Rec profile.

I've been using it in rehearsals for my other band; that setup is way more complicated and the entire reason I went to the profiler anyway. We have a show March 6th, and the thing already sounds way better and allows me to switch a bunch of stuff at once, which was my main problem without it.

Oh yeah, and I just hook it up to the PA right out of the case and play. That way I can focus on setting up the IEM and my vocal stuff.

I spoke with someone at the Kemper store last week and they said they probably wouldn’t have them for a couple of months - which is the same story I’m hearing from Sweetwater and Sam Ash. I had purchased one from Guitar Center, but apparently they don’t mind selling returns that are broken. “We can’t tell the difference in our inventory”. So I won’t go back to them. Plus, they are out of new ones too.

I got mine just under two weeks ago from Musician's Friend.

I had it on backorder with Sweetwater since December 27th. I then ended up putting out orders with Musician's Friend and Sam Ash the first week of February (there's some more details here about alleged availability that wasn't, etc.). Musician's Friend got an order of them so I ended up with one from them. Sweetwater up until that point kept think they were going to get some by the end of January with another shipment on February 6th, but then actually called me a couple days before that to say they had no idea when they were coming in because the supplies they thought they were getting weren't coming. I just went with three parallel orders and hoping multiple ones didn't ship out the same day and I had to do a return.

They're coming out in the US on occasion at the major retailers but it's unpredictable. I'd also suggest people check out the smaller retailers listed on Kemper's site and call them to see if they have them in stock. I found one place that apparently did if I hit a certain cutoff date I was going to order.