"best" expression pedal for KPA

• I realize this is an older thread, sorry.

I had been using the Boss FV 500 series expression pedal because I already had a few, and it worked as expected.
    I became interested in the Mission epi-kp, Kemper specific unit, but didn't see a need for the toe switch.
    I just purchased a standard Mission epi with spring installed to return to heel down, from their B-stock retail store.
    I love it !!! Having the Spring to return to heel down has a great vintage pedal feel.

I have the KPA wah setting to de-activate at heel down, which is perfect for my needs. I have it connected to my Ground Control Pro instead of directly to the KPA. I have tried both ways and haven't noticed any difference worth mentioning.

I also have global settings in the KPA set for wah to volume,( or visa/versa ?), so, any patch that doesn't have a wah active, switches the pedal to control volume, and activate tuner.

The Boss sure took up more space on my pedal board, so switching to the EPI had many benefits for me.

Lots of forum members seem to have the Kemper specific Mission pedal, do you guys see much benefit to having the toe switch?
    Maybe I'm missing something.

• I use a Rocktron Hex, with spring controlled return for wah with the kemper. It's a great pedal, always been reliable, and I don't miss the toe switch function as I always set the wah to bypass at heel. I think its relatively cheap, compared to the mission pedals anyway.

cheers

• I also have global settings in the KPA set for wah to volume,( or visa/versa ?), so, any patch that doesn't have a wah active, switches the pedal to control volume, and activate tuner.

I take back what I said about bypass > off... I tried your setup above and it's just magical! I'll only need my Gordius Big LG2 (on it's way!) and my Moog EP-3 on the floor and nothing else... I'm excited!! :thumbup:

But for you, or others who are looking at Dunlop, ME, Roland, Boss, other more expensive, big expression pedals... I've used them, and they are good ... but this Moog EP-3 is so solidly built, easily tweakable, great feel and response, is far lighter, and is a far less expensive expression pedal option at only $40 new!! Forget the EV-5 - that's horrible... try the Moog - you won't regret it!!

Gary ô¿ô

• I like having the toe switch so it acts just like a normal wah pedal would. Originally I used a normal expression pedal and set the wah for touch mode so it would turn on automatically if I moved the pedal. That worked great for what it was.

But now I use the wah to volume pedal feature in the KPA and having the toe switch makes it very user friendly to turn the wah on/off and jump back to volume control with one pedal.

Sean

• Just wondering whether having a spring in your expression pedal could be problematic. I was reading in the manual:

The PROFILER automatically prevents volume dips when switching from a “Wah pedal” rig to a “Volume
    pedal” rig, so you will need to reset the pedal after the rig change by first pressing it to toe position. Once
    you have done this, you will be able to smoothly fade the volume back to where you want it.

Likewise, you can link the pitch pedal to the wah effects by selecting “Pitch Pedal to Wah”. In contrast to
    the volume pedal, you must first reset the pitch pedal by pressing it to heel position after a rig change.

So I think having the wah default to any position might be undesirable, especially if both of your pedals are set like this and especially if using volume > wah.

I bought an FC7 based on the recommendation of a forum member. It is a pretty hefty piece of gear and works well. A very wide sweep, which I personally like. It makes it a bit more difficult to operate when sitting though.

• I like having the toe switch so it acts just like a normal wah pedal would. Originally I used a normal expression pedal and set the wah for touch mode so it would turn on automatically if I moved the pedal. That worked great for what it was.

But now I use the wah to volume pedal feature in the KPA and having the toe switch makes it very user friendly to turn the wah on/off and jump back to volume control with one pedal.

Sean

I think this would involve as much effort as just switching to another performance with a tap. Wah in touch mode is very handy, especially since it turns off the minute you take your foot off.

But then again, not everyone likes Morley style wahs, so YMMV and IMHO. ^^

• Just wondering whether having a spring in your expression pedal could be problematic.

I wondered that before I purchased it, but it has caused no issues. I use the Wah to Volume setting myself, and even though it is in the heel down position when not being used, when switching to a rig with no Wah active, it doesn't effect volume, or bring up the tuner without needing it to.

I like the feel of the Spring, it is very stiff, and feels tighter than the Boss FV when rocking back and forth.