Atomic CLR quality, but less power... does exist?

• Sooner or later I'll go for an Atomic CLR wedge, suitable for all the purposes I usually need, both indoor and on stage, but I wonder if there is ALSO a smaller solution of the same quality that has less power, dimensions... and weight, to be easily carried with the KPA for occasional low volume gigs... small house concerts, etc...
    (Using mainly clean sound with classic fender-ish profiles)

Weight considerations apart, I think that at (relatively) low volume, a smaller amp can be turned up and work better than a big one at 1 or 2 (on a scale of 10)... right?
    And especially at these low volumes I don't want to compromise sound quality.

...are you experienced? :)

thx in advance

• Weight considerations apart, I think that at (relatively) low volume, a smaller amp can be turned up and work better than a big one at 1 or 2 (on a scale of 10)... right?

There is no benefit to "pushing" a neutral speaker (IOW, any FRFR monitor).

And especially at these low volumes I don't want to compromise sound quality.

I fully understand your interest in smaller size and lighter weight. There is, however, no compromise in sound quality in using a CLR at any volume, not matter how low.

• With a profiler (or any modelers) you don't have to push tubes or speakers to get your tone because all of this is already in the profile (or the model). If you really don't need gig power (no drummer and a very intimist session) maybe a quality studio monitor could do the trick for you? I sometimes use one when I jam with a guitarist and a bassist. Lightest solution!

• You're right too...

Maybe I could revive my old M-Audio Studiophile SP-5B ... the speakers are exposed, so I'll have to be more than careful... but it could easily be carried in a gigbag with the KPA...

• With a profiler (or any modelers) you don't have to push tubes or speakers to get your tone because all of this is already in the profile (or the model). If you really don't need gig power (no drummer and a very intimist session) maybe a quality studio monitor could do the trick for you? I sometimes use one when I jam with a guitarist and a bassist. Lightest solution!

Yes and no.

Remember that we perceive sound differently at different volumes. So while a good FRFR speaker will produce the sounds the same way at different volumes, we will hear it differently. This phenomenon was described back in the 1930s by a couple of Bell Lab scientists, and the effect is shown across the audible spectrum as the "Fletcher Munson" curve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

What this means for us in using good FRFR speakers is that we must make EQ adjustments for lower volume playing in order to perceive our tones the same way we do at louder volumes.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• No problem in that at all, but the way i read the OP he is looking for a FRFR solution. But could also be me who read it wrong.

That have happened ;)

Your idea however would give him a ridicolously lightweight setup, with an amazing sound, so might be worth to try out.

• No problem in that at all, but the way i read the OP he is looking for a FRFR solution. But could also be me who read it wrong.

That have happened ;)

Your idea however would give him a ridicolously lightweight setup, with an amazing sound, so might be worth to try out.

I'm actually still experimenting with an EHX Magnum 44 and a Celestion GT75 speaker...
    Sounds decently, but my final idea is to have only two "bricks"(KPA and cabinet) and a couple of cables to carry around, and possibly the best sound quality
    (or in other terms, why spend thousands of €/$ to obtain the same sound of a cheaper modeling pedalboard? :) )

EHX Magnum 44 is fantastic but a bit "hissy", using clean sounds. I expect a FRFR cabinet built-in amplifiers to be more silent and transparent...

So far, the best solution seems the CLR wedge (quite heavy) or a Matrix Q12A (lighter, comparable quality)...
    But I'm wondering if for low volumes exist something even smaller (10" or 8") of comparable quality...

Anyway, thank you guys for the hints. I'm starting to get rid of some combo amp I won't use anymore in a little time :)

• My two cents:

I'm in the same boat. I would like to carry only 2 blocks. I've been trying a couple of solutions: MatrixGT1000FX (awesome lightweight, powerful & great sounding poweramp!) + guitar cab, pair of DXR10s (awesome small footprint, powerful PA cabs!), and more recently a Camplifier 180 (awesome great sounding, no-footprint poweramp) + guitar cab.

To me, the latter solution works best so far. The Camplifier allows me to match the toaster with pretty much any guitar cab, or a non-powered FR cab.

I am currently using an ENGL 2x12 cab and it sounds great. Very loud if you need it to.

• To the OP, I completely understand where you're coming from. I have been using an RCF nx12 as a wedge for about the last year and while I'm really happy with it I find that it is a little heavy and cumbersome to haul to small gigs and lacks any place for me to actually set my toaster making set up a little more awkward than it should be for simple small show.

I just received the matrix Q12a yesterday and should have time to check it out over the next few days/this coming weekend. I'm optimistic that the sound will be to my liking because the footprint sure as hell is: my full setup is now not much larger than a Fender Blues Junior!

That said, if you are looking for something smaller it couldn't hurt to pull out your old M-Audio, especially if its just sitting around idle!

• So far, the best solution seems the CLR wedge (quite heavy) or a Matrix Q12A (lighter, comparable quality)...
    But I'm wondering if for low volumes exist something even smaller (10" or 8") of comparable quality...

I'm using the Q12a, lighter than the CLR and still a very good cab, here's a little shootout about CLR, Q12a and Camper 112 CX.

For lower volumes I'm also using a AER AG-8 , very light (8 kg), 8" speaker, 60W, quite "big" sound for the small size, but for sure CLR or Q12a are a different story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• My Q12a just arrived this morning!!! It is a very well built, small cabinet.

I'm really looking forward to firing it up this afternoon. Yippee!

Congrats!

I'm very interested to hear what you think of it.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• I'm using the Q12a, lighter than the CLR and still a very good cab, here's a little shootout about CLR, Q12a and Camper 112 CX.

For lower volumes I'm also using a AER AG-8 , very light (8 kg), 8" speaker, 60W, quite "big" sound for the small size, but for sure CLR or Q12a are a different story.

The AER is another great product from Recklinghausen, home of the Kemper.