Probably a silly question (power down Kemper)

• I have my Kemper racked with a Furman power conditioner. Can I just power down from the Furman or should I still power down the Kemper and then the Furman? Thanks.

• I'd say you should power down the KPA first. In the newer firmwares, the KPA actually goes through a countdown during its power-off procedure. I never noticed this during the earliest firmware, so I am left to assume that the Kemper is doing something during power down that it wouldn't get to do if power was simply cut.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• That's what I've been doing since the beginning. All of my rig is powered by a power conditioner. (Equi=tech) A simple switch to power up or power down. No problems that I can detect. Most everyone I know does this for line level components and some even do it for amps. I just do it with line level stuff (preamps, processors etc.) Perhaps Kemper will clarify.

• I think I remember CK stating somewhere, that he powers down his unit exactly this way all the time. So there seems to be no need to switch off the KPA itself. I thought they implemented the count down just for the case that you switched the thing off accidently, instead of going into tuner mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

• This is an interesting question, I've wondered the same thing. I think it would be nice if a Kemper rep could chime in. What happens when you use the switch on the KPA instead of simply removing the power? For me, it would be more convenient to remove the power instead of turning the KPA off and waiting for the count down to complete before turning off the power to my rack that houses the KPA. It's really not a big deal to wait, but it would be nice to know if there are any possible problems caused by simply removing the power instead of waiting for the count down.

• Just going to pipe in here since it has not been mentioned yet. I've noticed that if I tweak a profile but don't save it, with a proper shut down te tweaked settings are still there next time it loads up. Settings dissapear if rigs are switched but the point is that the kpa probably has a cache that saves settings temperarily for you.

Other than that, you can probably expect a classic "proper procedure is to power down, so do that".

• lol, I remember when the HD500 was first released, guitarists cried 'they can't believe the HD500 doesn't have a Switch to turn it OFF'.
    Now the Kemper comes out with a switch to turn it OFF, and guitarists want to remove the power plug and not use the switch. :D

• Actually, there's more.

From the wiKPA (the .pdf, see my sig.)

HTH