Should I be plugging into Line Level or XLR on the mixer?

• Hey guys bit of a noob question but what input should I ideally be running into the mixer from the Kemper when playing live or otherwise? I've been using and plugging into the XLR inputs (which I know is mic level) for a while now with great results but will going into the Line Level (which I believe i should be going into) provide a better signal/tone or any other advantages...?

• I'm not a sound engineer but as far as I know it is always better to use the XLR solution if possible because the signal is symmetric/balanced. So you can avoid hum even with long cables. Always be sure the quality of the cable. Since there are incredibly large difference in sound.

Play it like you mean it.

• Often mixers label xlr input as mic and 1/4" jacks as line but xlr accept line levels too.
    Stick with xlr and set the input gain on the mixer low and output level on kemper low too.
    Some mixers have a pad switch on the input, which when switch on will lower the input gain.

i go through xlr and use -20db and master volume on 3 on my kemper going to mixer with input gain set lowest possible so that i don't clip the mixer input when hitting my guitar hard. :)

• i go through xlr and use -20db and master volume on 3 on my kemper going to mixer with input gain set lowest possible so that i don't clip the mixer input when hitting my guitar hard. :)

Yeah thats what I do too. Gain is set lower than other instruments so I can push it for solos. Thanks I'll be sticking to XLR input unless someone can give me a good reason to go with Line In input.

• Try your solo patches too and make sure that they don't clip.

One mistake i was doing was set mixer gain with my rythm patches, then it was clipping when i switched to lead patch.

Now i do reverse, i set the mixer input gain level with my lead patch, then adjust the faders on the mixer to mix the right level with the other instruments.

• e XLR and the TRS

You sure about the TRS? Maybe someone from Kemper could chime in...

Wiki says:

Quote from WiKPA

Master L and R Outputs
    XLR balanced, ¼ inch TS unbalanced with ground lift max. output level: XLR +22 dBu, TS +16 dBu
    Monitor Output
    ¼ inch TS unbalanced with ground lift. Max. output level: +16 dBu
    Direct Output/Send
    ¼ inch TS unbalanced with ground lift max. output level: +16 dBu

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar