Problems not with the KPA, but with my drums

• yo, ingolfo!

i have installed the jamstix demo, but cubase does not recognize the DLL, although it is installed where the functioning EZdrummer and so on is. ?????. comments?

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• yo, ingolfo!

i have installed the jamstix demo, but cubase does not recognize the DLL, although it is installed where the functioning EZdrummer and so on is. ?????. comments?

Make sure you have the right version (32 or 64 bit) for your cubase. Point cubase where you located the .dll and it should start.

• I have installed all of the three Versions. (32-bit, 64 bit and RAS). I do not know how and where to "Point" cubase to the DLL-file.

Any ideas?

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Go buy the groove monkee rock packs. In fact, just download their free packs first. I think there is a basic snare on the 2 & 4 beat included. If you want to vary the bass or hats, then do it and copy/paste the modified loop. if you want some incredible fills, check out odd grooves I bet some of the beats in there collection would even work as fills for you.

• This pointing to the Jamstix dll. I have found it. I do not understand why, but wtf cares. Thanx

• Thank you again for this much input. I have installed jamstix successfully after a while. Well, it does not convince me totally yet.
    And for other solutions than this or my own EZ and SD i do not have the time or money.
    viabcroce gave me a hint anyway, that solved a lot of problems i had with one particular song.
    Sometimes it is so easy and in front of your nose, you cannot see it!
    Gianfranco gave me the hint to work on the transitions of the three parts and - wow - you will soon hear the outcome in the link your music section.

• Here is a summary of what you have told me and what i have learned from it:

• Jamstix demo does not install correct, many problems, not in time, what to do, i installed it thrice. I gave up on it. Sorry Ingolf.
    • Because the Demo KoMa recommended (Addicted Drummer :D ) works fine. Every *.dll is in its place. the software works
      right out of the box. just the way it should be. It is like KoMa said. The sounds themselves are not so supergood, but it is easy
      to understand the tweaking here. Thanks for that, but i will stick to my software, because both Toontracks sound super.
    • The hint of Lightbox was interesting. Those presets of Superior Drummer would be of great interest. Unfortunately my hardware
      is at its limit, or so it seems, because it cannot load the presets, although i have given more and more RAM to it????
    • I like, after much thought my EZ drummer basic kit the most, with the exception of the hihat. Does anyone have a hint how to mix
      a hihat in the funky style of the 70ies. (Steve Gadd and Alphonse Mouzon are my heroes of the HH).
    • I have found some good grooves finally, so i'll stick to fine-tuning those MIDI files.

Thanx a lot again. Some further thoughts?

• I like, after much thought my EZ drummer basic kit the most, with the exception of the hihat. Does anyone have a hint how to mix
    a hihat in the funky style of the 70ies. (Steve Gadd and Alphonse Mouzon are my heroes of the HH).[*]I have found some good grooves finally, so i'll stick to fine-tuning those MIDI files.[/list]

To me that seems more a question of playing style than mixing style, so editing the notes to have a good groove would be my first choise. Then I'd guess most records in the 70's didn't use a separate close mic for the hh, so I'd mute that track and use only the overheads and/or room mic, and play around with low and high pass frequencies and compressor settings on those tracks, (fast attack, slow release, -4dB atten.). Without hearing the track you're working with I can't really say more.

• Naked,

i hope to post this groove soon where it becomes obvious ...
    But i am not after the sound of the 70ies. I liked the groovy feeling of those drummers. When i play figures of 16/16th on my hihat, for instance
    open/closed/closed/closed // open/closed/closed/closed // open/closed/open/closed // closed/open/closed/open and so on
    the whole track's sound so thin and "brassy", it is no fun. but we'll see...

• Why are you asking for mixing hints then? ;)

If you have thin sounding hihats, try lowering your high pass, and maybe boost around 250-400Hz. (This can be problematic though if there's a huge amount of bleed). Then compress the heck out of it.

SSL has a good character comp that works nicely with drums for free download, called Listen Mic.

• Thanks, Nakedzen

I will try this, i am still a noob when it comes to mixing. and thx for the hint to the comp :thumbup:

• Goodness, i tried to make this SSL plug-in work for hours. No way.
    How come that some plug-ins are working out of the box, and some demos, too.
    while others like jamstix and this mic-in plug-in only make my cubase crash?

the hihats drive me nuts!? whether HHs of EZ or SD, they sound like thin brass. i tried exactly what you said.
    but without a compressor ... Anyway, on thursday i will buy cubase 7.5 artist and it comes with compressors and a great reverb.
    i need a good compressor ASAP. thanx nakedzen!

here is the result of what i have learned from you. Used all those HPFs and LPFs and a lot of Eqing.
    At least the bass is audible and the groove gets more transparent. Forget about the guitars, just an exercise.

• hi naked zen,

i have dl-ed density as you recommended, but havent found a video with examples yet. this is nowhere near self-explaining.
    at least for a noob like me. i like it and would like to use it. you have a youtube link for me or sth else?
    or another idea for the hihat or an article where compression in general and in detail for drums mixing with comps is explained?

• The easiest way would be just to load a preset, then adjust the Drive knob until you get enough gain reduction on the meter, then adjust the Makeup gain so that you get unity gain with the comp on/off. There's a ton of vids on YT if you search for "understanding compression". But I just turn the knobs until it sounds good. :D

Edit: Here's one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4D6tDBsmWU

• Couple of things....I have Superior and EZ....and most of the midi packs and extension sets...and your right ....there can be a lot of complexity in the drum riffs. I am in the process of setting up a Duo project that will see myself and another musician playing behind a virtual full band , courtesy of Superior Drummer, the Many Bass VST and the live mixing and playback capabilities of RML Labs Software Audio Console (SAC) and SAW Studio (SAW).

We're doing Classic rock covers so I am doing Google searches for Midi files of the songs we are doing and then using those as a template for the tune. I'm importing the midi file into my DAW and then manipulating the midi file to sync perfectly with the original track. Apply the Superior Drum sounds to the Midi notes and you've got Charlie Watts, Tico Torres or Bonham playing behind you!

Most of the midi files are free and most have the basic grooves and tom / cymbal hits down pretty accurately. I also use an inexpensive Alesis Performace pad to tap out or play any drum beats or hits I need but I'm a terrible drummer so , thankfully, I rely on SAW Studio's excellent Midi editing functions. Hope that helps..