Changing Midi CC values on Kemper

• Hey guys, 2 year user of Kemper but first time post. Hoping to find some help!

I am looking at purchasing a Rocktron Midi Xchange to control my Kemper with due to it's small size but still having expression ports, and it has two expression ports to communicate on CC7 and CC17.

Channel CC7 controls volume on the Kemper, but I really need it to control Pitch Parameters.

I noticed there is a soft button in Midi Settings to change Wah to Volume (CC1 to CC7), and Wah to Pitch (CC1 to CC4), but there is no button to change Pitch to Volume, which is what I would need to make CC7 Pitch instead of Volume (CC7 to CC4).

Is there a work around for this? Just curious before I purchase this controller because if I can't designate CC7 to work Pitch somehow I will need to find another option.

-Alex

• Hey Alex, welcome! ;)

I don't think there's a workaround for this that I'm aware of.
    Does it have to be the Xchange when it's so restricted to these two CC numbers?
    I admit it would be great if we could switch the profiler to an advanced mode where we could specify all this.

• I really don't understand why they wouldn't make it where you could just specify what CC expression, pitch, and volume are. Doesn't seem like it would be a hard update and would help out a lot of people.

Im looking for a small midi controller for my pedalboard that also has expression ports so I don't need to run extra cables to my Kemper for Pitch expression. The Roland GFC-50 would be perfect as well, but same dilemma, the two Expression ports are assigned to 7 and 16. So unless Kemper releases an update adding the two blank soft buttons in Midi Settings to change Pitch to Volume, or allows us to just assign whatever CC we want to expression, pitch, and volume, looks like I'll be at the drawing board for a bit.

• Hey Alex, welcome to the club.
    You should post a support ticket asking for it - it's an easy fix, a firmware release is incoming and Kemper is very attentive, if you're lucky you might get it fixed soon.

Regardless, It's a little weird that the CC isn't changeable on the floorboard. Are you positive that's the case?

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Hi Alex...............at first I didn't understand the issue but now that I went into the pedalboard webpage I dig the thing. this pedalboard was intended to be used with rocktron stuff when refering to things other than the normal program change. this is from the rocktron specification page:

The CC17 port is the default volume controller for all Rocktron products. Thus, all you need to do to control the volume of each preset is plug an expression pedal into this port and it will control the volume on all Rocktron products. The CC7 port is the default volume controller for most non-Rocktron products. Note – the use of these controller numbers are not exclusive – by programming the receiving units (Rocktron processors or other non-Rocktron processors) controller assignments you could assign controller 17 or 7 to control various different parameters

as far as I know there will be no way that the kemper team will make CC assignement changeable at user will. I am not entitled to speak for them of course, thus everything is possible. but they have no motive to do that. this is because in a normal pedalboard environment like the Behringer and the Rocktron I own (All Access/Midi Raider) you have 100 + CC to assign.

the case of the MidiXchange is just a small alternative which clearely cannot have the same feature of a standard pedalboard.

just my cents.......

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• Here's an instant workaround: If you connect a pedal to the back of the Kemper, you can use one pedal for volume, wah, and pitch.

oh, yes, good idea. only drawback is the fact that you have two sets of cables coming out of the kemper.

in my case I really use only one single midi cable coming out form the pedalboard going to the kpa.

overall though with paults solution you have just 3 cables at the most: one for midi and two for the exp pedals. at least it is a solution

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• I am dying to see what the KPA Footcontroller looks like, boys.

All this waiting. And then more waiting when they run out of stock?

uhm.....I'm one of the official endorsers in my country........hopefully will I get a way to go first in the purchase? :whistling: