Might have to sell my Kemper.

• Just have not had the time to really use it. Love it to death, and it's pretty much in brand new shape sitting on my desk.
    But to keep up with college and my other profession/hobby m considering selling it.

Any tips on selling? I want to avoid Amazon and ebay and all those other fee infested websites.
    I'm rather nervous about shipping it as well.

I'm look at around $1500 range + Shipping.

Never toured or played with it outside my room. Pretty much had Plastic wrap
    on it for 6 months after I got it. And all the lights have been set to low.
    Has about $40+ of high gain profiles on it I bought.

• Even if you sell it to a private party mostly likely they are still gonna want to use Paypal for protection purposes and there will be fees; most smart people are not going to do a bank wire. You can add those fees to the cost but then again added costs could make it harder to sell. ebay has more fees of course but I have found that I usually can get more money for stuff than selling it on my own since there is a huge marketplace. There's always Craig's list too but that has a whole ether set of pros and cons. Personally I don't see the big deal with fees for selling merchandise, its the cost of doing business. Don't get into the art world. Most art galleries take a 40 to 50 percent cut when they sell a piece of art. eBay is a deal compared to that.

• Even if you sell it to a private party mostly likely they are still gonna want to use Paypal for protection purposes and there will be fees; most smart people are not going to do a bank wire. You can add those fees to the cost but then again added costs could make it harder to sell. ebay has more fees of course but I have found that I usually can get more money for stuff than selling it on my own since there is a huge marketplace. There's always Craig's list too but that has a whole ether set of pros and cons. Personally I don't see the big deal with fees for selling merchandise, its the cost of doing business. Don't get into the art world. Most art galleries take a 40 to 50 percent cut when they sell a piece of art. eBay is a deal compared to that.

Not to mention record companies! :D

• Quoted from "Animus"

Even if you sell it to a private party mostly likely they are still gonna want to use Paypal for protection purposes and there will be fees; most smart people are not going to do a bank wire. You can add those fees to the cost but then again added costs could make it harder to sell. ebay has more fees of course but I have found that I usually can get more money for stuff than selling it on my own since there is a huge marketplace. There's always Craig's list too but that has a whole ether set of pros and cons. Personally I don't see the big deal with fees for selling merchandise, its the cost of doing business. Don't get into the art world. Most art galleries take a 40 to 50 percent cut when they sell a piece of art. eBay is a deal compared to that.

Not to mention record companies!

Right! lol I think you might get a dollar for every record sold, if you are lucky!

• Right! lol I think you might get a dollar for every record sold, if you are lucky!

Oh, way less than that to be sure! :) (at least for the typical major label contract, as I understand it).

You get x amount of dollars up front, which may be the only money you EVER see. For each record sold, the company gets x dollars (what is left after distribution and the retail store etc. have had their profit). They take their own revenue from that, and then use what is left to pay off your debt for making and marketing the record.

What's that? DEBT, you say?

Yes. You didn't think the record company paid for the studio time, the producer, the engineer, the session musicians, the mixer, the mastering, the food and ... substances consumed in the 6 months in the studio, the advertising, the airplay on the radio, the whatever...? Nooo, that was a loan from the company. You don't have to pay it back as a normal bank loan, but they DO take their cut from the record sales. I mean, the actual sales. Not the free copies (or nearly free, so as to cover only their own running expenses) that they give to stores etc, so they feature the CD more prominently, thus increasing the sales rankings (but of course not the profit for the artist, quite au contraire)...

So it may be 20 years before you make a profit from actual record sales. Or it may be never, if it doesn't sell. They might, for instance, make a portfolio decision, for instance they just landed an artist that they really want to promote, so now you're on the back burner and selling less records because of it. Which is a bitch, because you already spent the huge amount (or what seemed to be huge at the time) of dollars from your up-front payment on new sneakers and taxis and expensive hotel rooms. So now you basically LEFT WITHOUT AN INCOME. Same as if the record sales just didn't take off. Of course your contract states that you should make a new record next year. But of course the label makes the record and doesn't release it. Or just doesn't promote it at all (to keep from cannibalising the new awesome artist ("Hey, i thought you told me all the time I was the new awesome....." but no... That was three months ago)). Or just rejects all the songs and have you stuck in songwriting mode for 10 months. Which is a bitch, because you have to tour extensively to even have an income at this point. which would be a lot easier if they would just promote your damn record instead of the new rihanna single, dammit! Especially since they made you ditch the bass player and drummer as being "not in line with the image we want to convey". And also because the original music you wrote was "not in line with the image we want to project", and they flew in three professional songwriters, so now you don't really know your own songs anymore...

At this time, booze is your only friend....

(This horror story is NOTHING I have experience with, thankfully! But it does happen. I'm also sure not all record companies are like this. Maybe. :-))