Passive speakers vs passive monitors

• Hi,

Just bought the powered Kemper and played it though a guitar cab. Sounds good :) . But I also want to go FRFR. What is a solution for playing guitar in a small room (5x4). Is the matrix Q12 passive an option or is it better to buy some passive (or active) monitors like for instance Adam's. What is better when volume is an issue.

Bart

• Monitors and 12" speakers 'feel' markedly different.
    It will be easier to get an 'amp in the room' feel with a larger speaker, even FRFR.
    A studio monitor will probably sound better at low volumes and give you a better representation of your sound in a mix, or even a band mix.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I tend to agree with Quitty. In order to try and kill the two birds, the solution I chose was a couple of active CLRs (12"), which sound great at low volumes and are good enough to work as monitors for music production as well.
    Of course they are bigger than any 8" or 10" monitor, and most probably heavier (the Neodimium version might be lighter than some, not sure).

• Yes Matrix Q12 will fit perfect for that. IMO the best choise for the buck if you want something that can do it all.

I have used mine for Monitors aswell for quite a while now.

Ist pretty simple. They put out exactly what you put in.

• Thank you for your posts. Good to hear that you can get the amp in the room sound on low volumes with the CLR/Matrix/Xitone and that you also can use these for monitoring. Maybe it's more logical to go for the passive CLR's then for the active ones because I have the powerhead already. I will check out these three amps.

• With a profiler or a modeller used in conjunction with a really linear cab, the "amp in the room" effect strongly depends on the IR/profile. Mr. Mitchell (CLR's designer) has explained this in detail. An IR captured by close-mic'ing a loudspeaker won't sound like the amp in the room.

OTOH, what you will be sure of is that with a really linear cab you'll sound exactly like the (tweaked) profile you're using sounds with your guitar and... you playing :D
    You'll hence be free to focus on these elements only in order to get the sound you want.
    PS: I've a close experience with the CLRs only, I can't speak for other solutions. "Linear" cabs are not all linear in the same way LOL

• OTOH, what you will be sure of is that with a really linear cab you'll sound exactly like the (tweaked) profile you're using sounds with your guitar and... you playing :D
    You'll hence be free to focus on these elements only in order to get the sound you want.

And once you've got a good FR sound, "in the room" often just takes a bit of mid-scooping and a touch of reverb. The Space effect in your KPA can be great for this.