A Confession!

• So, a confession from myself:

I have had a Kemper Toaster in the past. I liked it. It worked well. The LEDs went on it. It was repaired and then I traded it in for an amp head. At the time I traded it in, I was interested in a powered unit and Kemper had said they would offer an update to my existing unit. They did post a few weeks later that this would not be able to be completed due to logistics of it and I could totally see and understand why. The unit also didn't have the performance mode and several other features (drop tuning) that I urgently needed. I moved to my amp head and another solution for direct recording as well as a pedalboard.

Fast forward to late last year, I noted some of the new updates and I attempted to order a Kemper Powered Rack. There was nothing in stock. I waited for a couple of months with my deposit on order. One showed up at a store across the country in March. My retailer brought it in for me. I really liked the unit. It was missing the manual and the correct power plug. This happens when a retailer opens a box at another location and doesn't note what was inside. I didn't worry about it as I had another power cord and the manual was downloaded. I was using it through a 2x12 cab. I had it for a several months and the unit shut down on me twice without warning...once during a gig and another before I was starting to record in the studio completing a contract. I submitted my ticket for support on the second shutdown, re-set the unit as directed and it was fine. I was going to submit about the loose fitting glass on the front as a couple of larger specs of dirt got behind the glass and were lodged in the LCD but I figured I would do that later as I was too busy using the unit in the studio completing a project and playing live regularly. The unit shut down again on me before we started a gig in early August and as well had developed some strange flanging on certain profiles when running through the cab and poweamp but not through the headphones and I decided enough was enough and I returned the unit to my retailer for a credit based on the time I have had it. Not a problem, I didn't take much of a loss at all since I buy a ton of gear from them and they were very fair about it.

I then picked up a new tube amp in combo format in the meantime to use. I really like this amp but it weighs a ton and thus, my back wasn't too happy with it. I probably should have known better. I then looked at the logistics of buying and building a new pedal board, pedals, etc. The cost simply wasn't something that I wanted to put out. I was going to just use it as it was and leave it at that. Any gear that I purchase, I use my $$ made from gigs or recording, not out of my personal finances or income from my main occupation. I can't justify that having a family to take care of.

A very close friend of mine has an Axe II, Kemper toaster and an atomic CLR and nothing else that he uses live and for recording. He asked me to borrow my amp for some profiling and so I brought it over for him (much to my back pain! LoL) and I asked him if I could borrow his Kemper and Atomic CLR for a few days after he was done to try at my house in my surroundings.

That was a BIG MISTAKE and I'll explain why: I've only heard some very limited FRFR setups and none of them impressed me up to this point. I've never heard the CLR in action. I believe his is the neo version so it is a bit lighter. I was pretty shocked to say the least, actually really shocked would be correct! The spread on this thing is amazing! For me, any of the heavier gain profiles that I was using pretty much sounded all the same through my 2x12 or 4x12 cab. That is fine because it was something I was used to. That being said, the amount of clarity through the CLR is fantastic. A bit of tweaking and you can easily get a nice push. The thing that hooked me in was the fact that each and every profile was unique sounding. I know this is what it sounded like through my studio monitors and headphones but I really didn't think it would be that dramatic a change through this beautiful square box!

I'll have to make a call to Tom King at some point between now and January. I don't have an immediate need for live monitoring as I'm only playing a few small gigs and all monitoring is on stage as it is a smaller venue but I am definitely in for getting one, no question. I've spoken with and purchased from Tom in the past and he is a top notch guy. I'm looking forward to buying from him again soon.

So, back goes my tube amp this week and I have a brand new Kemper Rack (non-powered this time!) new in the unopened box this coming in on Friday. The strangest thing for me now will be to get my head around not having a big cabinet behind me on stage. I think I can deal with it but it will take me some time to get used to this change. Apparently it is better to put the CLR off to the side for better stage spread?

One this is for certain, it isn't going to sound bad at all! I did pick up a smaller tube combo as a backup. It's much lighter but still sounds great for those times when I miss the push of the tubes. With some of the great profiles and quality updates coming in now though, it's getting harder and harder to notice a difference. Also, really looking forward to the new footboard!

Sorry for the novel!

Edited 3 times, last by PBGas ().

• I can only imagine what a pair of those sounds like!!!! He had me hook it up via the 1/4" monitor out at the back. Was this correct? Some folks had told me to use one of the xlr's and set it to mono in the menu?

• Welcome back, and thanks for your story! :D

Yeah, a guitar cab is for those who like a specific sound or just believe they can't do without, but no doubt that only a very linear cab can make you hear the original profiled sound, your tweaks and your guitar :)

I use two CLRs as well.
    As per Mr. Mitchell's instructions, the best sound if you're not the only listener is got by mounting the cab on a pole.
    Whatever you do, set the DSP preset accordingly.

Of course, if you use two of them (or a couple of whatever cab) the Main Out is the way to go
    :)

• Thx Buds! All in all, I'm really happy with how I'm going to run this. I just hope the new unit is better than my last one. One thing that I do like about Kemper in general is that, even though they take their sweet time to make things happen, it is done very well. Looking forward to putting in some of my old favorite profiles and some new ones through the paces again. I got a nice portable 4U case for it with wheels and a furman power supply....not necessary because it is pretty light weight anyway, but hey....it was a great deal so I took it.

• I think I made the right decision for the THIRD time. :cursing: Grant it, I had major issues with the last unit I had. This time, I hope it sticks.

You know....when you look at the cost of things,
    If I kept my amp which was about ($1800 with taxes), I would need a loadbox for direct recording $1000
    A pedal board example of what I was looking at: Pedaltrain 1 HC $140
    Pedals (and I could have gone a cheaper route for this, no question but these were my choices that I wanted): Strymon Mobius ($499) Strymon Timeline ($499), Voodoo labs 4x4 ($210), buffer ($50.00), Decimator for the noisy gain stage ($130), Tuner ($100), cables and ends ($50-75 - I build my own), Overdrive ($150), Drop tune pedal ($190) and a Wah that I was looking at ($180)
    Total for that: 2198 These are my local prices in my area.
    You add in a Two-Notes loadbox and you are at almost $3100 not including the price of the amp!

Could it be done cheaper, sure. Get a mesa cabclone and use the two-notes WOS III program on the DAW instead of the Torpedo Live. You'd save about $500 there. Substitute some cheaper pedals and save about $300.

New Kemper - approx: 2200 CLR: 1100 (have to factor in taxes, duties and shipping for me)
    Behringer footboard about $150 (until KFC is available)

Still, no question on the savings, not to mention the variety of tones which is priceless.

• Awesome!

I LOVE my CLR and Tom King is one of the Best guys on the Planet. I cannot say enough great things about him, Atomic amps and all of his products! Cheers!!

Ralph

• I'm in Canada. By the time it gets shipped and taxed and dutied....the price is probably even more than that. Hence, why i was hoping to find something a bit cheaper that I could source locally.

• By the time you do the conversion, pay brokerage and taxes, it increases the price quite a bit. Oh well, have to bite the bullet on this one and just go with what I know works and sounds good.