Replacement cable for Remote connection

• Sorry for reviving this. Can you recommend any (cheapo) 10m cable which is working? The Kemper one is way too long for most of our gigs as well as for rehearsals plus I need ethercon on both ends (patchpanel).

I'm afraid there won't be a cheap cable at this distance anymore.
    Kemper considers 7.5 m for an AWG 24 cable as the maximum length.

Quote: Reference manual:
    The diameter of the wire is the critical factor. The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length. AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e. g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.
    Cables in excess of 10m (30ft) might require a Power over Ethernet Injector (PoE Injector). This way, distances of more than 100m (300ft) can be bridged. Using a PoE switch even multiple Remotes can be connected to one Profiler. Supported are IEEE standard 802.3af-2003 as well as 802.3at-2009 mode A.
     Be aware that only mode A can be used; mode B is not functional!
    Here is a list of equipment we have tested successfully:
    PoE injectors:
    TP-LINK® TL-POE 150S
    PoE switches:
    TP-LINK® TL-SG1008P (8 port gigabit switch with 4 port PoE)
    Allnet® ALL8085 Switch (8 Port 10/100TX)

• Sorry for reviving this. Can you recommend any (cheapo) 10m cable which is working? The Kemper one is way too long for most of our gigs as well as for rehearsals plus I need ethercon on both ends (patchpanel).

Did you mean 3m? A 10m cable would be longer than the one that came with the Remote, am I correct? I haven't ordered it yet, but I am looking at this:

10' Ethernet Cable

The one review actually mentioned it as a replacement cable for the Kemper Remote! And if you want the RJ45 connector at both ends, there is this:

RJ45 Ethernet Cable

All sorts of lengths available.

Edited 2 times, last by marzzz ().

• Any Cat5e or Cat6 cable will do. You can buy ethercon ends and fit them yourself, eg Neutrik part NE8MC. Neutrik have a pdf on which 'ends' fit the connectors, but any non-booted cable should be OK. I made one up to replace the Kemper cable, which is far too long for me.

• Any Cat5e or Cat6 cable will do.

You should bear in mind that there is certainly a reason why Kemper indicates a relatively short maximum length and does this in relation to a cable cross-section.
    I think it's not the digital signal that causes this limitation.
    I suppose it is the current needed for the power supply of the remote at the given voltage level.

• Within reason - reducing the length of the std Kemper cable is certainly OK. I believe the standard allows up to 100m for POE over cat5e (48V 802.3af standard POE). The manual errs on the safe side. Longer may need an injector. However, injectors are pretty cheap. I would suck it and see. I made up a 2metre cable using a standard cat5e non-booted patch lead and a NE8MC and it is fine as you would expect.

From KPA Reference Manual:

The diameter of the wire is the critical factor. The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length. AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e. g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.

Cables in excess of 10m (30ft) might require a Power over Ethernet Injector (PoE Injector). This way, distances of more than 100m (300ft) can be bridged. Using a PoE switch even multiple Remotes can be connected to one Profiler.

Supported are IEEE standard 802.3af-2003 as well as 802.3at-2009 mode A. Be aware that only mode A can be used, mode B is not functional! Here is a list of equipment we have tested successfully: PoE injectors: TP-LINK® TL-POE 150S PoE switches: TP-LINK® TL-SG1008P (8 port gigabit switch with 4 port PoE) Allnet® ALL8085 Switch (8 Port 10/100TX)

• Not much to add, but in case it's helpful, I've been using one of the recommended TP-link power injectors (this one - Amazon Link) for over 2 years with various super cheap 100ft/30m ethernet cables (cat5e) and its been flawless.

The TP-Link power injector is only $16USD (in its own housing and comes with a power supply), so im not sure why Kemper didnt just build the injector circuitry internally into the KPA's ethernet port and be done with it. Would have resolved alot of cable length\gauge issues people seem to run into. Seems like a bit of a design oversight imo.

Without the PoE injector I never found an ethernet cable longer than the stated 7.5m/22ft that could reliably connect to the remote.

• Not much to add, but in case it's helpful, I've been using one of the recommended TP-link power injectors (this one - Amazon Link) for over 2 years with various super cheap 100ft/30m ethernet cables (cat5e) and its been flawless.

The TP-Link power injector is only $16USD (in its own housing and comes with a power supply), so im not sure why Kemper didnt just build the injector circuitry internally into the KPA's ethernet port and be done with it. Would have resolved alot of cable length\gauge issues people seem to run into. Seems like a bit of a design oversight imo.

Without the PoE injector I never found an ethernet cable longer than the stated 7.5m/22ft that could reliably connect to the remote.

Kemper have provided the required power circuitry, but presumably it does not quite meet the standard, power wise. Saving a few pfennigs, perhaps.

• I ended up getting that 10' ethernet cable I mentioned in my last post; it works very well (at least in my studio setting) and it is significantly more flexible than the cable supplied by Kemper.

Edited once, last by marzzz ().