Yamaha DXR and Monitor hiss

• Hi guys, i have seen that some, not everybody, is experiencing some hiss when using the KPA monitor out with the line input of yamaha DXR cabinets.
    Consider that threes no hiss when i plug a simple zoom g3 at the same TS input.
    I wonder if anybody has a workaround to solve it and/or which are your output settings (monitor volume) in order to reduce this issue.

• Using Monitor Out I maybe have a similar problem with noise. Right know I am Using a small mixing console using the Main outs and the noise is gone. I also did set the out a little bit hotter. Seems to be the case if the DXRs got a "to weak" signal.

• Where is your Monitor Out level set at? Chances are it's a bit low... try around -15 dB or even louder if it's lower, and reduce the Yamaha 's input sensitivity accordingly but set it as high as possible. Set the cab's volume where you need it.
    This will reveal whether the Profiler is "noisier" than the cab.

Rule of thumb, increase levels on the more silent unit :)

HTH

• I'm glad someone started this thread because I'm having major issues with this and it's a MAJOR problem. I've used both the DXR10 and DXR15, and the exact same issue happened with each, so it's not a case of a defective speaker.

• When using a high quality Mogami 1/4" cable from the Monitor Out and into the Line 2 input on the Yamaha, there is some MAJOR hiss. This happens even when there is no guitar cable plugged into the input. And even when I have the Kemper turned all the way down. On the DXR, I had the Line 2 level set at "0". On the Kemper, I had the monitor out set at -11dB. If I turned the monitor output up louder (closer to 0dB) and turned the the DXR down, the hiss was still very loud.
    • If I used the same settings and simply used an XLR cable out of the left Main Output and into the Line 1 XLR input on either speaker, the speaker became practically dead silent.

So how do I fix this? I want to be able to use the monitor out so that I can control the volume levels of my monitor on stage and the signal going to FOH separately. I tried using a cheap Hosa 1/4" to XLR Hi-Z to Low-Z adaptor, and while that did eliminate the noise, it reduced the overall volume of the speaker drastically.

I could unlink the monitor output and link the main output to the master volume, allowing me to use an XLR to my DXR. But then I'd have to use the 1/4" monitor out to send a signal to the mains, which is really just swapping one problem for another. Would using a direct box in some way fix this? If so, how should I hook that up so that it doesn't damage anything?

• I'm just surprised that simply using the monitor out adds such a high amount of noise. When compared to the XLR outputs, it's ridiculous how much noisier the monitor output is.

• I'm just surprised that simply using the monitor out adds such a high amount of noise. When compared to the XLR outputs, it's ridiculous how much noisier the monitor output is.

I don't think it's the monitor output. I think it's the input of the Yamaha.

I use the monitor out to my CLR and have no issues.

• I don't think it's the monitor output. I think it's the input of the Yamaha.

I use the monitor out to my CLR and have no issues.

I don't understand how it could be the Yamaha because without the Kemper plugged into it, the hiss is minimal and is typical of a powered PA speaker. It's when I plug the Kemper in to it using the monitor out, that the hiss greatly increases (even with the Kemper's master volume turned all the way down). When I plug the Kemper in using an XLR cable from the main outs, the hiss goes back down to the level that it was before plugging the Kemper in (very close to being silent).

• You say you use a 1/4" cable - is it a balanced cable? Is it TRS, or just TS (guitar cable)?

It's an unbalanced, standard TS cable. I've used a 10' Mogami Gold cable, and a 1.5' cheap ProCo cable. Both with the same results. Then plugging an XLR cable into the DXR from the main outs takes the hiss almost completely away.

I haven't tried using a TRS to TRS cable for this because I'm assuming the monitor output on the Kemper isn't a balanced output. Do I need to use something like this; plugging the 1/4" from the monitor out to this direct box, and then an XLR cable from the direct box to the DXR? Or will this not cure the hiss either?
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Li…x-with-Attenuation-Pad.gc

• It's an unbalanced, standard TS cable. I've used a 10' Mogami Gold cable, and a 1.5' cheap ProCo cable. Both with the same results. Then plugging an XLR cable into the DXR from the main outs takes the hiss almost completely away.

I haven't tried using a TRS to TRS cable for this because I'm assuming the monitor output on the Kemper isn't a balanced output. Do I need to use something like this; plugging the 1/4" from the monitor out to this direct box, and then an XLR cable from the direct box to the DXR? Or will this not cure the hiss either?
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Li…x-with-Attenuation-Pad.gc

Yeah, you're right - on both units, only the XLRs are balanced. Huh.
    Could you use one XLR for the FoH and the other for the DXR, taking care of the levels at the DXR, maybe?

I'm not sure that unit is the right one, since it has hi-Z inputs (normally for pluggin in instruments directly.

• Another option might be to use a small, relatively cheap 2-channel mixer next to the unit, to control volumes individually.

Yeah, you're right - on both units, only the XLRs are balanced. Huh.
    Could you use one XLR for the FoH and the other for the DXR, taking care of the levels at the DXR, maybe?

I'm not sure that unit is the right one, since it has hi-Z inputs (normally for pluggin in instruments directly.

I guess worst case scenario I could do that, or use the separate mixer as you mentioned. But it's certainly not convenient to have to reach behind the monitor and feel around for the knob I'm hunting for mid-performances to adjust volume. But it's a little disappointing to need to have to buy extra gear to get the Kemper to do something it's supposed to do on it's own to begin with.

I see that this issue has come up quite a bit, so I don't necessarily think it's my unit being defective so much as it is a common issue with the Kemper. Maybe there are 1/4" to XLR cords that I could try. I'd really like to be able to keep the volume controls of the mains and monitors separate and accessible on the Kemper itself.

• I didn't read everything but have you tried the ground lifts on the back of the Kemper?

I haven't tried that because it's not a hum or grounding issue type of sound. It's just a lot of hiss and a bit of "wind blowing" kind of sound.