Tronical Tuner - 1 Year Update

• Well I've had the tuner for about a year.

I had the A tuner replaced last Sept. The E often is a bit sharp by a few cents. This week the A froze while trying to change strings and manually detuning (gears got stuck)

I don't use it much. About 5 hours every 6 months for some song-writing. Been into the Electric guitar this past year practicing.

I'm disappointed because you can't install the old tuner as it won't fit with the tropical electronics. You have to either wait for a replacement tuner, or else take them ALL off.

So I guess it's best to have a backup Bass and Treble tuner just in case. I'll contact the company and see what they say. I expected more for the price, but maybe not playing very often causes the gear oils to not keep the gears coated and they freeze?

Edited once, last by db9091 ().

• It,s very weird for me, because I,m using a few Gibson Robot guitars from 2008 without problems and I have 120-150 gigs/year.
    Only one battery has died last year.
    Maybe the older series of tronical tuners from the Gibsons was much more stable? It seems that the construction was stronger...
    Interesting...

• Yeah, interesting.
    i have bought two Les Paul Juniors and a Les Paul 50's tribute end of last year. The Juniors are all equipped with G-Force and the Paul with the Min-E-Tron system which seems to be the older version. So far all units have worked accurately and flawlessly.
    Tronical BTW is a company from my hometown and not very far away from me. From what I saw and read they're quite fast with support, too (not that I needed it up to now).
    Have you contacted them directly @db9091, Dennis?

• I wonder if it has something to do with NOT using it enough? Would sitting for period be a problem for gear oil settling? In any case, I described how much I use it (about 5 hours, 12 tunings every 6 months this past year) so the company would have accurate feedback. I contacted tech support. Last time it took a while because I think I contacted the wrong department.

My brother said to contact Sales because they talk to Management who gets on top of recurring problems (if it is recurring)

As you can imagine, picking up a guitar a few times and then it fails is mega frustrating (It's installed on my Taylor 510)

• UPDATE

The company got back to me and said they recognize a problem with earlier gears if they sit for a while. They recommend not storing them in cold/hot places of course. They said they'll send me replacements for the E (since it goes out of tune) and D strings.

I think this means I'm supposed to play the Acoustic more often. I've not been writing as much, just practicing Electric.

• UPDATE

The company got back to me and said they recognize a problem with earlier gears if they sit for a while. They recommend not storing them in cold/hot places of course. They said they'll send me replacements for the E (since it goes out of tune) and D strings.

I think this means I'm supposed to play the Acoustic more often. I've not been writing as much, just practicing Electric.

Thanks for the update.
    Sounds like good service.
    If I got you right you don't need to actually play the guitar, just have it tuned itself twice a week, no? ;)

• Thanks for the update.
    Sounds like good service.
    If I got you right you don't need to actually play the guitar, just have it tuned itself twice a week, no? ;)

Oh, I don't play at all. I just bought the guitars to talk on forums! haha

I forgot to mention that Tronical said they re-engineered their gears to be sturdier and not prone to seizing up. So the are New & Improved for those who get new ones.

I agree, they didn't have a problem helping me out, and their service response was 1 business day.

I like the convenience of going between Open E and Standard tuning. The older version isn't good at Black Sabbath drops for the Low E but their new PLUS circuit is. So that can be done now.

• Tropical are sending a replacement bass E and A and one for the Treble side of strings "just in case", FedEx. Comes in today.

I'm quite impressed. They were very responsive, and are replacing these when they are technically out of warranty. So the customer service can't be beat.

• I kept getting confused at what I needed. See they refer to the E,A,D as "Bass Tuners" and G,B, e as "Treble" but I was confused since MY left-handed tuners are the opposite type of tuners!
    But they said they knew my order was Left-Handed and so they use the Bass/Treble terminology for Right-Handed when speaking, but know to send the opposite for lefties.

So they sent out 2 tuners I needed replacements on, and 1 extra for the other side "just in case" to put my mind at ease, FedEx, free, and like in 2 days shipping (Germany->NC, USA) so it was fast, thorough, generous, and friendly.

I haven't put them on yet as I just installed Elixirs ($17) and don't want to destroy them just yet. I got a set of D'Addario 80/20 to try out. I think the fret-noise in the past was why I liked Elixirs (and that they are stock for Taylors) but some swear by the tone of these D-Addario's. EJ16-3D

Edited once, last by db9091 ().