Worship Guitarist now a Kemper convert

• Do you guys program your sets every week into the kemper?

I build a MainStage concert each week I play and use that to rehearse, playing along with recordings. If I'm not using anything outboard of the Kemper, then I just bring the KPA & remote. Otherwise, I mix stuff through my MBP in MainStage, going direct.

I make a performance for each song & save them all for future use with the RM. I only keep the 4-6 performances I'm using that week onboard the Kemper.

• Do you guys program your sets every week into the kemper?

I've got a performance for each song, then set up the set list for the week. I do that mainly because we don't have a click track and I need to have the song tempos preset on certain songs. Each performance has Intro/Verse/Chorus/Bridge and I leave slot 5 as a swells/ambient rig. That way I can always jump to that if necessary to fill some space. I do have a 'standard' performance set up that is set up to get me through just about any song, but I like to have the set list to sort of follow along and make sure I'm playing the right thing!

• I generally don't need more than a rig or two for most songs. So I usually have 2 performances full of rigs for the 5-song set, with the rigs in a row for that weekend. I generally only use a few different base rigs for my core tones, with settings on post effects being the big difference between songs. Thus I generally have the BPM programed in for each rig used in those two performances. I find it's easier to do more with a fewer rigs than needing to bank between every songs. Thus I've started using morphing, with the morphs set to instantaneous with the remote stomps. This way I can lower the gain and up the delay mix for quiet parts with one step. I've also been using some external OD boxes in front, so I can just toggle one of these for a bit more gain. I generally have the internal screamer programed to a pre slot as well, so I always have the option to toggle that for a little bit more gain.

• I generally don't need more than a rig or two for most songs. So I usually have 2 performances full of rigs for the 5-song set, with the rigs in a row for that weekend. I generally only use a few different base rigs for my core tones, with settings on post effects being the big difference between songs. Thus I generally have the BPM programed in for each rig used in those two performances. I find it's easier to do more with a fewer rigs than needing to bank between every songs. Thus I've started using morphing, with the morphs set to instantaneous with the remote stomps. This way I can lower the gain and up the delay mix for quiet parts with one step. I've also been using some external OD boxes in front, so I can just toggle one of these for a bit more gain. I generally have the internal screamer programed to a pre slot as well, so I always have the option to toggle that for a little bit more gain.

I have been thinking about setting something up just like this. I only use one profile, and ever since morphing came out, I can use that to change just as you describe. That is basically what I do with my 'standard' set, and I could play a whole set with that one performance. Coming from using a full pedal board setup with a loop switcher and multiple stomps, this is the way I'd prefer it, but I really like having the song names set up too.

• I have been thinking about setting something up just like this. I only use one profile, and ever since morphing came out, I can use that to change just as you describe. That is basically what I do with my 'standard' set, and I could play a whole set with that one performance. Coming from using a full pedal board setup with a loop switcher and multiple stomps, this is the way I'd prefer it, but I really like having the song names set up too.

I have a single Rig or two for most of the songs in our team's current songs. They fill up like 10 performances. Most of them are set to the same few amp stacks. Then I copy the rigs I need in order into a couple performances I write over each week. I'm learning though that it might save me more time if I just dial up my favorite base rigs with the browse knob in my live performances and create presets of the Post effects section, since you can save all four post effect slots as one preset. Then I just have to go through and put the correct tempo in each rig. I think I like this new approach as I keep changing my mind about the amp stack I use and how I tweak it, which leaves my rigs for songs I haven't used in couple months with an different amp stack than I'm currently using, forcing me to do the copy paste save save save thing a lot. On the other hand, now that I'm integrating morphing and remote settings more, it probably would serve me better to just continue to create song specific Rigs. For a while though, I have been working entirely within Performance mode, and it might save me more time to create my song specific Rigs in Browse mode, as I can dial up rigs faster with the browse mode when in performance mode than I can scroll through 10 performances to find the one I'm looking for.

• I'm looking at getting a Boss Es-5 so that I can place me OD boxes in their own loops and trigger the right combination with the Kemper's midi. The problem is that currently, the Kemper can only send midi message on rig changes. I recently requested a mini toggle effect which would give you the ability to assign on and off midi messages that correspond the active status of an effects slot. Then you could assign that effects slot to one of the remote buttons and just like that you could toggle two combinations of pedals without leaving your current rig. For example toggle loop 1 and 2, hit a button and turn 1 off and activate 3. And so forth.
    Even without the ability to do so on the remote, if I keep everything on my pedalboard, I can trigger a certain combination of OD pedals with the correct midi message sent from the Kemper to the ES-5 on rig changes, and from there hit different OD presets on the ES-5. However, expanded midi functionality would allow me to leave my whole rig, except my remote off stage. Currently, everything including my Kemper Head sits on my pedalboard!

• I have a single Rig or two for most of the songs in our team's current songs. They fill up like 10 performances. Most of them are set to the same few amp stacks. Then I copy the rigs I need in order into a couple performances I write over each week. I'm learning though that it might save me more time if I just dial up my favorite base rigs with the browse knob in my live performances and create presets of the Post effects section, since you can save all four post effect slots as one preset. Then I just have to go through and put the correct tempo in each rig. I think I like this new approach as I keep changing my mind about the amp stack I use and how I tweak it, which leaves my rigs for songs I haven't used in couple months with an different amp stack than I'm currently using, forcing me to do the copy paste save save save thing a lot. On the other hand, now that I'm integrating morphing and remote settings more, it probably would serve me better to just continue to create song specific Rigs. For a while though, I have been working entirely within Performance mode, and it might save me more time to create my song specific Rigs in Browse mode, as I can dial up rigs faster with the browse mode when in performance mode than I can scroll through 10 performances to find the one I'm looking for.

If you only want to run one amp stack at a time, one way to fix the issue you are having with your old songs being a different rig is to setup a performance with a rig, then lock the stack section. That way, all of your performances use the same amp/tone stack. This is what I did for awhile when I was switching but wanted all my tones to be the same so I wouldn't forget and run an old song with a different rig. I also set up presets for the 4 stomps as a section and the effects (I have one for each delay type actually - 1/4, dotted 8th, 8th, dotted 8th + 1/16, etc.) That way, I can drop one in to any song that requires those typical types of delay and have all my other 'effects' section remain the same when I copy and paste)

• If I have something like a fixed setlist, yes. I am using fixed performances (with delay times pre programmed). For anything else I use one or two performances which cover up everything I need pretty much.

• I'm finding a weird issue: most of the time we use a click, so our tempo is completely locked down. If I set up a performance to use a set tempo, the Kemper doesn't send clock.