Possible New Feature Idea - Guitar Transposer

• This is where we'll have to agree to disagree.

I was referring to what you wrote about "why would there be different profiles for eg. strats and les pauls in commercial packs". I can assure you that those are there because the reference amp was tweaked to those, not because the profiles were refined with those particular guitars at identical amp settings. That would be ridiculous - if you go through the hassle of creating a new set of profiles, why not tweak the reference amp, even just slightly, to better fit that guitar??

Without a test (or the designer to weigh in) I suspect Z may very well be discernable. Yes, the KPA will reproduce something, but is it the same something a tube amp would produce once the guitar is changed?

The designers HAVE weighed in on very numerous occasions. There is no reason to speculate much beyond that.

While it is within the realm of possibility that the refinement step may yield very slightly different results, I think we would be talking miniscule differences. What about other nuances? where you pick the string? Which pick? which pickup position? how high output from the pickups? which pickup height? Pickup brand?

Either the refinement process works as close to perfectly as is possible, or there is a difference but with way too many variables to ever do anything about. The only thing that matters is that the person doing the profile makes sure that the profile is identical to the reference amp in sound, and does a through playthrough.

All this talk is just a red herring. Are you asking because you have experienced a deficiency, or because you have surmised that there must be one???

• A bit of a tangent but since it has now been mentioned.....

It might be nice to see a refinement procedure that allowed both the gain and the tone knobs to mimic that of the amp. I could envision this by having a refinement procedure where the KPA would start slowly lighting up the LEDS around the desired knob and a person could start moving the corresponding knob on the amp while the KPA sends it reference signals. This way the KPA could learn how each knob actually impacts the tone. Same for the gain knob. In theory this would be really cool. in reality, I'm not sure if it would help or hurt things because the way an amp's tone stack is often designed (and how the prescience is designed) often times they are not statically linear in behavior (in fact usually not). One given knob will behave completely different depending on how some of the other knobs are set. They are often tonally interactive to each other. Having said all that, maybe at least a feature that refines the gain knob might be a worthwhile effort as that is less likely to have wide swinging interactions, all else in the tone stack being left alone. Anyway, just tossing it out there, even though I suspect somebody already suggested this by now.

• Just to add my two cents:

Guitar profiling doesn't make any sense, and I don't think there is any reasonable algorithm to profile a guitar against another -- you'd have to have a dozen or so variables to remove as well.

Profiling the Gain knob however is a smart idea. It's really a matter of combining multiple profiles and morphing them on the gain knob. Many profiles exist with 10 different profiles on each gain knob setting.