Exporting IR's from Kemper Profiles

• Hey there,

I was told that it is possible to export an IR from a Kemper Profile using a sine wave through the Kemper, but I can't find anything any information on the internet about that procedure.

Could anyone guide me through this?

Thanks in advance,
    George

• You would disable everything in the kemper except the cabinet.

you play the sine wave (on your computer) and you feed the output from the audio interface into the kemper.

While sending the output from the Kemper into another input of the audio interface while recording the processed signal. The recorded sine wave processed by the Kemper can be used by a deconvolver software to extract the impulse response such as this one

http://www.voxengo.com/product/deconvolver/

• Thanks for the info! I was also searching on how to do this.

• Thank you so much man. Could you please describe to me what kind of cables and connection should I do in order to make this work? I have a scarlet 2i2 and many XLR and 1/4'' cables. I would really appreciate it if you could help me on this!

• Thank you so much man. Could you please describe to me what kind of cables and connection should I do in order to make this work? I have a scarlet 2i2 and many XLR and 1/4'' cables. I would really appreciate it if you could help me on this!

One mono connection is sufficient to get an IR. Make sure the Kemper output is set to mono and for this XLR is not really needed as you're not going to have a long cable run so regular 1/4 will do.
    1-Kemper mono output into Scarlet input one
    2-Scarlet mono output 2 into Kemper line in with sine wave playing in a track inside DAW that's output is assigned to scarlet 2.
    In your DAW you want to send track 2 (sine wave) to Kemper to process it and record it on Track one.

Depending on your DAW and this might be different but the idea is that you need to route each track to a different bus that's assigned to different physical output. If you end up with feed back loop consult the DAW help on to accomplish the proper assignments of the software created buses.
    Without giving specific directions something else would work. IF your software DAW allows patching of external hardware effects, that could also accomplish the same thing and could be easier. Your Kemper would be the external hardware effect and you bounce the track with the sign wave(processed with Kemper as external effect) in it to another track or export it and you would be almost done.because you will still need to use the deconvolver software.
    Once you have the final IR make sure you add enough silence so the length of the IR is 2 seconds.,

As you do this I'm going to look around for a tool that I had years ago that allowed me to make impulses of my hardware effects without using additional software. once and if I find it, I will share it with you. HTH

• I managed to export the IR!! I can't thank you enough!!

What kind of tool was that? I'm very interested!!

• It's my pleasure glad I was helpful.

I will send you the tool in a message. It's basically a small file (wave file less than a second long), you import it into your DAW and you no longer need to use any other software or sine wave etc. All you do is use it instead of the sine wave. You play it through any device and the result recorded file will be the IR itself. It works quite well for Reverbs as well as Guitar Impulse responses.

This will save you tons of time and it actually works just as good if not better than the sine wave. I don't know who thought of it but I had it years ago in my old machine. I will fire it up tonight or tomorrow and look for it.

I am not sure how to view the message or if I am even able to receive messages.

Thanks again, Dean!

• You're quite welcome I attached the file to this message as it small enough just download it from this message. It's compressed in a zip format and that has zero effect on the quality. First Try it out making some impulses of reverb plugins that you like and and I hope you will notice that it's pretty accurate and when you make impulse for speaker cabinet make sure you trim the resulting file perfectly from the beginning and insure that you increase the time by adding silence at the end. The extra length I believe is good to insure the full bass response is present.

Normal resolution is 20ms, hig res is 40ms and ulta is somewhere about 170ms. Please disregard the 2second comment earlier. I personally stopped bothering with impulse response ever since I got the Kemper because from my experience I haven't found any of my favorite Impulses that are quite as good as the Kemper, but I can see how this can be useful as the speaker contribute for sure to 50-80% of the amp tone.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make this work. It appears to be just one small peak, like a dirac delta function. And I used this instead of the sine wave, and I exported the recorded outcome but I got a nonsense IR, with a messed up spectrum. Dont know what I did wrong...

I also was very cautious to select the beggining of the recorded outcome when I rendered the track and I added some empty space at the end as well...