Kemper power rack weak at practice

• i am running cab sim off, I think the issue is cut and fullness of the tone, basically need to increase volume so I can hear myself.

I think the problem is more in the 600w solid state power amp, it sounds thin and weak in the mix, I tried Marshall el35 monoblock 2x50w all tube power amp, feeding monitor out, that thing actually sounded much much better and I could hear myself..

The problem with digital is, that it's missing some frequencies that a real tube amp would have, not sure if you can get that fat tone you need to get in the mix with digital at rehearsal...

Not if you're running correctly made Merged or Direct Amp profiles. Then all the tone and interaction of any tubes in the power section are captured and the clean solid state power amp of the Kemper will reproduce them without adding colour of its own. If you're using regular DI profiles or Studio profiles, then you might be right.

• I tried direct profile of lee jackson GP1000 (no cab simulation nothing, just pure preamp capture) with the marshall 50/50 and that sounded amazing and was cutting nicely.

Anything else that i used the power out from the kemper sounded thin and weak for me, with the band.

• Something very wrong here. I am pretty sure the Kemper spec is accurate, i.e. it is a 600watt power amp. That is mind-blowing loud, I cannot imagine even a stage situation where you need that much volume.

Get in touch with support. And do look closely at your cab, as I mentioned earlier, if you were pushing the Kemper power amp at full tilt into a 60watt speaker, something must have gone wrong. Unless of course there's a fault with your power amp.

• It is 2x12 so 2x 60w = 120w

The 600w is probably not RMS power so that would be lower

Read the back of your Kemper. It clearly says: " 8 OHM: 600W RMS / 16 OHM: 300W RMS"

If you're pushing a 60x2 watt cab with it and can barely hear anything, I'm thinking there must be a problem with your power amp section.

Those are deafening volumes, I could barely stand a 100watt solid state amp at full tilt in a small room.

• I use a 2x12 with V30s as well. I had similar issues. My band would say it sounded like there was a blanket over my cab. My initial solution was running very mid heavy studio profiles to cut the mix.

I now use merged profiles and the problem is solved. They sound much more realistic and cut the mix, and have natural punch when palm muting.

I actually just bought my first commercial pack. The TopJimi AFD Marshall pack. Although there are many good profiles available for free, this is by far the best sounding set I have heard through a traditional guitar cab. Actually, it's just the best sounding set I have tried in general.

• Yeah, i know about this i was actually using main output fixed to minus 10 db and monitor output connected to the knob, i play with 10 db boost as well so basically settings are -10 for main 8.6 for monitor output and on top of that 10 db boost for the power amp..
    It is incredibly loud, but gets lost with drums bass and vocals, i do not hear myself if i go any lower than 8

Something is definitely wrong. Sanity check: You are using the actual red connector SPEAKER OUTPUT jack, on the back of your powered KPA, to connect to your guitar cabinet, correct? :P;)

I would recommend starting from a clean slate, in terms of KPA output settings, and connecting only to your guitar cabinet at first. Obviously, you would need to do this during practice.

To reset your KPA's Output Settings to factory default, here are the steps (from the KPA Reference Manual):

---------------------------------------------------------------

In case any inputs or outputs don’t operate as you would expect, or you experience any other unpredicted behavior, the soft button “Init Globals” in the System Settings will reset most global parameters in the System Settings and Output Section as well as all Lockings to their default state. This way, you are always able to recover a defined state of settings. Your stored Rigs, Presets, Performances, and Slots won’t be impacted by this reset.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

After you have reintialized Global settings, first check volume levels using only Master Volume. If for some reason, you need more volume output out of your Speaker Output, first got to Output Menu, and boost the Monitor Output Volume.

Next, If that still isn't enough, turn on the Power Amp Boost control in the Output Menu, and adjust.

Make sure you have "Monitor Cab/Off" activated, if you are connecting directly to a traditional guitar cabinet.

Another possibility, is to check any connected volume pedal (if applicable). You may need to recalibrate your volume pedal.

Cheers,
    John

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• Do you maybe have some example profile somewhere i could use to try it out ?

Not sure about the merged profiles, i always used just the free/paid usually M Britt or others, those sounded good at low volume.. if i play loud, they dont cut.. having the problems described above..

With mids on 5 it works pretty good even at lower volumes, but honestly saying, it sounds like shit.

• Studio has the cab sound more 'baked in' so if you turn cab off the separation is not as accurate as if you do the same with a merged profile.

Someone else may explain it better… ;)

• It's in the Reference manual dude, but essentially this :

Studio : profile of the whole signal chain, including any mic pres, EQs, compressors and mics
    Direct Amp : profile taken with a DI box capable of attenuating a powered load, placed between the power amp output and the speaker. Captures the interaction between poweramp and speaker. No mic or mic pre involved.
    Merged : the merging of a Studio profile and a Direct Amp profile with the exact same settings on the amplifier. Enables you to send the full Studio profile signal chain to FOH while sending the amplifier minus cab, mic etc. to your onstage guitar cab (using the option "Cab off on Monitor out" in the Output menu) with more authentic results than just turning off the Cabs on Studio profiles (where the KPA has to "guess" where the power amp ends and the cabinet begins). Also enables the profiled cabinet, mic pres, EQs, mics etc. to be separated and used with other DA profiles.

• Do you maybe have some example profile somewhere i could use to try it out ?

Not sure about the merged profiles, i always used just the free/paid usually M Britt or others, those sounded good at low volume.. if i play loud, they dont cut.. having the problems described above..

With mids on 5 it works pretty good even at lower volumes, but honestly saying, it sounds like shit.

At the risk of being crucified, I will say the MBritt stuff doesn't work for me live. I haven't tried any of his merged stuff. In general though, his tones just don't work great for me in high gain applications with another loud guitarist. We also dont have Lonestar's sound guy or FOH support either...

• Phase issue?
    If your speakers are wired parallel, and one of them with switched polarity, sound of speaker a will be canceld by B

Low end issue?

When you dial excessivé low end, the amp will be working hard to amp those low end freq, but a guit cab cant reproduce those. Add a 80hz lowpass filter to check this.

Idnk the KPA power amp, in a degree it is however a classic issue with ss poweramps.
    What you did, boosting mids, the countermeasure.

I have tried other ss amps with the KPA, but my 9100 or mesa 50/50 sound a lot better.

• Had such issues with other modelers. Then used a tube power stage with them (kpa included) -- boom, didn't go back to solid state power amps.

• Just to add to the possible phase/merged profiles issues happening, you may want to try tweaking the Bass, Treb, Middle, and Gain while the band plays.

A lot of tones sound awesome by themselves, but in the context of a full band frequencies get lost and mushy. I used to be in a metal band with tube amps. The lead guitarist would get this beast of a tone on his own, and my tone sounded equally awesome. When we played together, however, neither one of us could hear ourselves. Then the volume wars started. Since realizing frequencies have a HUGE effect on perceived volume, I NEVER have to turn my amp up and the Kemper powerrack is more than plenty for me.

Kemper Power rack with Remote
    TASTY JAMS!! :D

• Just to add to the possible phase/merged profiles issues happening, you may want to try tweaking the Bass, Treb, Middle, and Gain while the band plays.

A lot of tones sound awesome by themselves, but in the context of a full band frequencies get lost and mushy. I used to be in a metal band with tube amps. The lead guitarist would get this beast of a tone on his own, and my tone sounded equally awesome. When we played together, however, neither one of us could hear ourselves. Then the volume wars started. Since realizing frequencies have a HUGE effect on perceived volume, I NEVER have to turn my amp up and the Kemper powerrack is more than plenty for me.

I completely agree. Our other guitarist is learning this lesson. He loves the low end chug when hes playing by himself but ends up buried in the mix. We finally got him to roll off some bass and tame the highs so he can cut through the mix and everything has so much more clarity.

I just played with my new TJ AFD profiles Sat night through my V30 2x12 and it was plenty loud enough. Tons of room to spare and tons of punch. The merged profs are the way to go. We just miced the cab traditionally and I got tons of compliments after our set.

One guy had a vert input JCM800 and my tone was better than his...He said so.

• I got some merged profiles that i use with my 2x12 and i must say that this is like a water and dirt, the merged profiles are just 10 times bigger and better sounding using a guitar cab, i would be interested if the FRFR cabinet would sound better and maybe solve my issue for the not merged profiles or not.

I got JP2C and it sounds huuuuuugeee

• I guess i can add my two cents here. Like everyone said, merged profiles do the trick. I use Origin audio 6505 and Archon profiles, and they sound massive. Also, in the output section, you have a "power amp +6db" option. I found that turning that on really helped me get super loud. I run my powerrack trough a 4x12 randall cab with V30s, and play with some LOUD people, and it works fine.