Recording with Kemper

• Hi,

I've just been experimenting with recording and re-amping with the Kemper.

One strange thing is that the high gain sounds that I use live with my band, that sound massive, either through my DXR10 or straight to PA do not sound nearly as high gain or fat into the DAW.

I have the interface (Focusrite 2i6) set correctly, levels etc, so was a bit surprised.

When it came to re-amping, I found the (previously recorded) guitar level a bit low, however even taking the Distortion sense to its maximum it didn't really bring the drive levels up to what I was expecting.

I was doing these experiments at the other guitarist's house, and he uses an AX8. Now the sounds that he uses live, yielded exactly the same results through the DAW.

Any ideas? I didn't really want to have to use his AX8 for recording!!

Thanks,
    Andy

• If a recorded track is too quiet to drive the KPA like the original guitar, turning down the clean sense when turning up the reamp sense seems counterproductive to me.

Indeed, Paul, but I don't think HG implied that one should touch the CS setting.

It sounded to me like he meant to base the RS value on whatever the Rig's CS setting is, "polarity-reversed".

• It's not something I've experimented with yet, Paul; I was only paraphrasing HELL-G, but if you say it sounds like great advice, I'll be sure to remember it when I finally get to recording (reamping will be a big part of it, no doubt).

I'm guessing that setting your input level on the KPA correctly and using the DI-through feature to record and play back at unity gain should yield "perfect" results... for any given Rig. If one then changes Rigs, HELL-G's suggestion would come into play, no?

• Brilliant. Sounds like a plan, Paul. ;)

All along I've been thinking that the OP's track-output level (and therefore interface-out level) probably doesn't match what the Kemper, assuming that's what he used to generate the DI signal, issued in the first place.

To the OP:
    Did you add or remove gain from the DI signal when you recorded and played it back, whether at the interface-input or track-playback stage?

• Stumbled upon this summary in the manual:

For correct leveling and reproduction of a distorted Rig with a reamped instrument, two level settings must be performed: the absolute reamp level at the recording device and the amount of distortion by “Reamp Sens”. For clean-sounding Rigs, only the absolute reamp level is necessary.

So, as Paul and I alluded to, one must first set the level going to the KPA (duh). The same methodology applies as when adjusting it for your guitar - occasionally-yellow is very-good.

This is all hence my question to the OP earlier - is that level coming into the KPA the same as it was going out of it? That's the critical thing IMHO; everything should flow easily from there.

EDIT:
    You posted whilst I was typing, Shawn. Could be, but obviously only if he's switched it on or off from the state it was in originally.

• True, Nicky... just putting it out there and trying to help.

No offense but are you using a 2i2 or 6i6 because I don't think they made a 2i6? Recording/reamping with SPIDF? Isn't it auto leveled that way? Is pad engaged or perhaps using line level instead of instrument in mix control by accident? I know you said everything is correct but you know, something may have been overlooked or pressed by mistake?

• Hi,

I've woken up to a big discussion!

There are a couple of different things here. First - when I try to record the output of my Kemper the same high gain rig seems to render in a first last powerful / impactful way than that rig works live. Is that a typical thing? Eg I play loud live....so do I need a tonne more gain to mimic that at recording levels.

Second, when re-amping, I'm struggling to get enough signal into the Kemper. When I recorded originally I used a 2i2, I used the halo feature on the input and the peak control on Reaper to get the maximum acceptable signal into Reaper without spiking. This was done last August for our album but there have been delays!

I recorded a "Kemperised" track with gain sounds and a "DI out" track that was intended to represent the raw guitar. It sounded fine.

Exactly what output should I have used for the raw guitar to be used subsequently for re-amping and how would I know the output levels were appropriate?

When I tried re-amping, I tried putting that signal from the DAW (this time at my friend's house and he was using Logic) through both the front of the Kemper and through the alternative input. The alternative input sounded very weedy regardless of using various settings and playing with the clean sense, distortion sense and reamp sense.

I had better (but not fantastic) results through the front input of the Kemper but again using the clean sense, distortion sense or reamp sense didn't help as much as would have liked. At one point the reamp sense didn't seem to be operational, was greyed out with a padlock symbol, but I can't remember exactly how I got around it....the set up is all still at my friend's house.

I was using a Focusrite 2i4 - sorry about that mistake. The standard jack (TS?) outputs 1 and 2 were used for the monitoring speakers. The phono outputs 3 and 4 went to a small stereo jack with a converter to quarter inch that went into the Kemper.

The output (main output) of that went into the input of the Focusrite set at "line". I assume that is correct as instrument level is for a non-amplified instrument, but here we had been through the Kemper?

As I say this all yielded much better results with the AX8.

Sorry if I am unclear of have missed something...but please let me know so that I can provide the information needed to get this right.

Thanks,
    Andy

• Thinking about this more clearly having had my breakfast.....

A lot of the input audio was at a lower level than expected as the keyboard player had been using what I originally supplied and when he exported it back to me turned out to be at a much lower level than I originally recorded.

So, that is partly the issue.

Also, guitar rig (plug ins) that he had been using and the AX8 both dealt with the lower signal level stuff than the Kemper....but perhaps as the Kemper is more like a real amp that makes sense.

I did find a couple of pieces of my original Kemper raw guitar (on iCloud stored by Reaper in a thousand file fragments!) and that level was better.

The fundamental issue might be my first point though. I have a main high gain sound that I use live.....but recorded it sounds weak and thin....it's fat and massive live. I know that the sound comes out of my non-powered Kemper and goes through a powerful PA and out of huge speakers for the end result. So, my question is, what would I expect to do to that same rig output from my Kemper into a DAW in order to emulate what I have live?

If I'm not happy with my live rig into a DAW, I'm not going to happy re-amping the raw guitar through the Kemper either I expect.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    Andy

• Phew! I'll give this a go, Andy, but have to run 'til tomorrow, so I'll not be able to respond 'til then:

First - when I try to record the output of my Kemper the same high gain rig seems to render in a first last powerful / impactful way than that rig works live. Is that a typical thing? Eg I play loud live....so do I need a tonne more gain to mimic that at recording levels.

The high-gain recording probably sounds "more impactful" 'cause it's being heard through headphones / studio monitors and not through your live monitoring. Different setup = different results. Gain doesn't equal loud, of course, and you may even find there's more articulation evident with slightly-lower gain levels for the recorded signal. Tends to clutter up a mix less this way too. Something to bear in mind.

Second, when re-amping, I'm struggling to get enough signal into the Kemper. When I recorded originally I used a 2i2, I used the halo feature on the input and the peak control on Reaper to get the maximum acceptable signal into Reaper without spiking. This was done last August for our album but there have been delays!

Read on about the struggle I highlighted, but for one thing, I don't feel it's a good idea to maximise recording levels... ever... for any instrument. I and others have said plenty about this here on the forum, including just last week when I banged on about it quite a bit.

Exactly what output should I have used for the raw guitar to be used subsequently for re-amping and how would I know the output levels were appropriate?

I covered this a few posts ago. If you set your guitar's input level to the Kemper correctly, (occasionally into the "yellow"), the DI signal that's passed through the unit will be correct 'cause it'll reflect what you're sending to the Rig when you're playing it "live".

When I tried re-amping, I tried putting that signal from the DAW (this time at my friend's house and he was using Logic) through both the front of the Kemper and through the alternative input. The alternative input sounded very weedy regardless of using various settings and playing with the clean sense, distortion sense and reamp sense.

I had better (but not fantastic) results through the front input of the Kemper but again using the clean sense, distortion sense or reamp sense didn't help as much as would have liked.

This is probably because, as I'll allude to shortly, the level you're sending from the interface is way down. The front input probably sounded much-better 'cause this low-level signal you were sending was much-closer to a guitar's PU-output level (super-low) than the line-level signal the reamp input expects and is "designed" for.

At one point the reamp sense didn't seem to be operational, was greyed out with a padlock symbol, but I can't remember exactly how I got around it....the set up is all still at my friend's house.

I haven't reamped yet myself, but I'm guessing that this must've been whilst you were using the front input. The software wouldn't have allowed any adjustments of the reamp-input's level for obvious reasons (you can't use both at the same time).

The output (main output) of that went into the input of the Focusrite set at "line". I assume that is correct as instrument level is for a non-amplified instrument, but here we had been through the Kemper?

Correct! Hey, at least you know you got something right, right? :D

I was using a Focusrite 2i4 - sorry about that mistake. The standard jack (TS?) outputs 1 and 2 were used for the monitoring speakers. The phono outputs 3 and 4 went to a small stereo jack with a converter to quarter inch that went into the Kemper.

Unless I'm missing something obvious (never used a Focusrite interface, so it's possible), this is a huge mistake and would explain so much. Phono outputs are traditionally known as consumer-level or "-10dB" in flavour. Think cassette decks, CD players and so on. The phono inputs on the interface would have been included with connecting such things in mind. The four basic levels we (as guitarists, otherwise there are three) deal most with in audio, from lowest to highest, are guitar (lowest), mic (a little higher, but still very-low), consumer (the one I described that I suspect you're using), and line (highest).

Line level is roughly 14dB higher than consumer, so there's 14dB you're missing out on with your reamp signal right there... if my assumptions are correct.

So, first point of call would be to try sending the DI signal out of one of the 1/4" jacks on the interface into the reamp input on the KPA and see what happens then. Adjust the Reamp Sens to be the "inverted" version of whatever the Clean Sense parameter is set at in the Rig you're using - Clean Sens at -4 = Reamp Sense at +4, for example, and that should be about all you need to do. It'll get you into the ballpark at the very least, I'm guessing.

I'd suggest making a short recording of your KPA's DI-out signal, with no volume adjustments on the interface (covered this in an earlier post) or in the DAW, and with the guitar-input levels on the KPA set as described earlier, to see how loud it is when played back in Reaper. This'll be your reference. Try to set the old DI track to play back as similarly as possible to this. Future recordings won't necessitate this step as long as you've set the KPA's input correctly for your guitar. IOW, your guitar's level both hitting any selected Rig as well as appearing at the DI out is gonna be consistent.

Between recording the DI signal at the original level, and sending that back out to the KPA via a 1/4 jack (line level) without fiddling with the volume, you should experience a massive improvement. Unless of course I've got this completely-wrong!

OK, HTH, Andy, and I'll check back in tomorrow morning (dinner time now). ;)

• Thanks Monkey Man.

A couple of things quickly.

1. I'm not sure I understand your response to me liking my sound live from the Kemper to DXR10 or PA but not when recorded. My question is why it sounds weak when recorded....it sounds weak hearing the results back through the studio montiors...which is how you judge how the guitar is sitting in the mix?

2. Where is your post about setting the input level correctly on the Kemper? I had assumed that if I plugged my guitar straight into the Kemper than it would automatically be the correct level?

3. The Focusrite spec is this:

Dynamic Range Outputs (1-2) 106 dB (A-Weighted)
    Dynamic Range Outputs (3-4) 103 dB (A-Weighted)

3-4 being the phono out. They are 3dB down. For practical reasons I did that as this was the first attempt me and my friend tried. His speakers only accept mono jacks, and we didn't have a pair of phone to mono jack cables.

I would have thought we could compensate for a 3dB difference?

I think points 1 and 2 are the key things for me - always good to learn!

Thanks,
    Andy

• Finally, for anyone, surely there is a simple way to record the raw guitar from the Kemper such that it is at the optimum level (and sound to noise ratio) for having gain etc added afterwards....whether reamping through the Kemper, a modeller, or even using plug ins.

What is that?

Thanks,
    Andy

• Proper gain staging isn’t “guesswork” and taking the signal in digitally doesn’t guarantee that it’s at an appropriate level.

When people say ‘it sounds smaller when I try to record it’ my FIRST suspicion is their monitoring, not the recording chain.

• Proper gain staging isn’t “guesswork” and taking the signal in digitally doesn’t guarantee that it’s at an appropriate level.

When people say ‘it sounds smaller when I try to record it’ my FIRST suspicion is their monitoring, not the recording chain.

Very interesting. They weren't my studio monitors but I was going on the assumption that if my guitars sounded weak in the mix, that they would also sound weak when mastered. What would you do as a next stage?