EV ZLX 12P Tips?

• I've been having a lot of trouble getting good tones out of my EV ZlX12p powered speaker. The low end seems really exaggerated and the tones just come out very fake.

Does anyone with experience with this speaker have any tips on getting good tones out of it?

I might just have to move on to the Friedman ASM 12 or the dxr10 but I though I'd give this a shot.

Thanks ;)

• I briefly owned one and my experience has been the same: like a big HiFi cab seriously lacking midi (=punch). No comparison to the DXR 10.

• I have a zlx 12p. I prefer my studio monitors but I use the zlx when playing with others. I adjusted the dsp to compensate for the bass. I think i have -6 bass -1 treble to even things out. Hope this helps.

I would skip the Friedman and go with a Xitone MBritt but thats me.

• When I compared one in a store to some other FRFR monitors, I also thought the the low end was exaggerated.

What physical position are you using? If you have it standing on the floor, you could try it as a wedge, or use a speaker stand to decouple it from the floor.

If you haven’t tried using the KPA Output EQ, that may help, too.

I have the speaker angled up at me from the floor. I'll definitely have to try the output EQ as I haven't been using it as much as this forum recommends :D

I briefly owned one and my experience has been the same: like a big HiFi cab seriously lacking midi (=punch). No comparison to the DXR 10.

Honestly, I think I'm just going to get the DXR 10 at this point. I tried the QSC k10 at my local store and loved it, but I also looked at a ton of your posts regarding the Yamaha after this and it seems like that really is gonna be the best bang for my buck.

I have a zlx 12p. I prefer my studio monitors but I use the zlx when playing with others. I adjusted the dsp to compensate for the bass. I think i have -6 bass -1 treble to even things out. Hope this helps.

I would skip the Friedman and go with a Xitone MBritt but thats me.

Thanks for the eq settings! I'll definitely be trying those out later. Would you say that the Xitone is really worth the extra money in comparison to something like a DXR 10? I've heard a lot of good things about it but I was really impressed with the amount of good reviews on the DXR.

• I have the speaker angled up at me from the floor. I'll definitely have to try the output EQ as I haven't been using it as much as this forum recommends :D

Honestly, I think I'm just going to get the DXR 10 at this point. I tried the QSC k10 at my local store and loved it, but I also looked at a ton of your posts regarding the Yamaha after this and it seems like that really is gonna be the best bang for my buck.

Thanks for the eq settings! I'll definitely be trying those out later. Would you say that the Xitone is really worth the extra money in comparison to something like a DXR 10? I've heard a lot of good things about it but I was really impressed with the amount of good reviews on the DXR.

The DXR is a great choice for sure. Ive tried the Friedman, ZLX, Headrush, DXR, and the XiTone. To me the XiTone sounded the best for mid to high gain crunch and lead tones but was very clear for nice cleans. Do you primarily play at home or out? If i only played at home i would buy a nice set of studio monitors. Honestly none of these speakers move air and get that thump that a nice 4x12 guitar cab gives you but they do sound good. it just takes time to get acclimated to the sound.

• The DXR is a great choice for sure. Ive tried the Friedman, ZLX, Headrush, DXR, and the XiTone. To me the XiTone sounded the best for mid to high gain crunch and lead tones but was very clear for nice cleans. Do you primarily play at home or out? If i only played at home i would buy a nice set of studio monitors. Honestly none of these speakers move air and get that thump that a nice 4x12 guitar cab gives you but they do sound good. it just takes time to get acclimated to the sound.

I play at home, but I need a speaker for if I were to play live as well. I'm just looking to get the most amp-like feel from my kemper. That being said, my best option for that seems to be the xitone. I just don't have the money for a $900 speaker, so the DXR seems to be my best option here.

• If you want more of an amp feel from any FRFR speaker like a DXR, place it on the floor, standing up (not in wedge position). “Amp in the room feel” is an indirect sound - not pointed directly at your head.

It will be a bass-heavy Sound, but, that can be adjusted globally, instead of one rig at a time:

The DXR has a Mode switch and a high pass switch that can be used to adjust the bass reflection to your liking, and the Monitor Output EQ will be useful, too.

• The EV is what I borrowed to see if I could get on with FRFR and it put me off the whole idea. It sounded distant and submerged in low end. I should have tried other speakers really, but ended up with in ears anyway.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7