Beginner wants to make a video

• Hello people! I recently bought a Kemper and thought this might be the occasion to start recording and maybe even put some stuff out there! The trouble is that I am an absolute beginner in terms of recording audio and image. Therefore, I thought someone might be able to provide me some insight. So the stuff I'd like to do is record a video (with my phone so not necessarily a great image quality) but with the sound of the Kemper which is great. I have a Scarlett 2i2 as a sound interface but no idea what software to use and how to use It, nor how to "connect" the video with the audio.

Thank you in advance for helping the newbie that I am.

• You will need some video editing software to combine the signals and edit. This can be really cheap or even free stuff you definitely don’t need to invest in anything like Final Cut Pro etc. I use iMovie (free with Mac OS). If you are on PC there will be something similar.

Make sure you have a visual and audio cue for syncing the two files. When using live mics a habd clap is a good option. If you are using direct audio from the Kemper I would opt for a visible string mute before you star playing. You can then easily sync images and audio before chopping of the beginning and end sections you don’ t need.

If you plan to record any talking on the video too make sure you mute the mic in editing at any places where the guitar is being plYed otherwise you will still hear phone audio over the Kemper audio but the phone will pick up mainly pick/string noise and sound like s*&t.

Here’s a few I did in iMovie. The first one is all Guitar Rig (before I got the Kemper) the second is Kemper with phone mic for speach

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jump in with both feet and have fun !

• long

In steps:

1. record on cam
    2. record on daw
    3. end recording
    4. use vegas pro/anything to merge audio + video, at this time I also cut the start and ends of video (inconvenience of phone)
    4.X you can use vegas pro to alter video (higher brightness/change colors a bit anything to make it a little more professional)
    5. You can either merge immediately and convert to lower filesize or you can merge lossless video and audio and convert to lower filesize, both will look slightly different, the first one is a faster render because you don't have to render twice. (you have to make sure your audio is fully lossless though, this is done by doing all your video editing prior to merging audio)

the hard part of this trick is synchronization of the audio and video size but I don't have any problems with it. the phone will also acoustically pickup the guitar, so you can use this to sync the audio. (you'll obviously want to cut out the audio from the phone in your video editing program of choice)

That's how I do it, I'll take any tips from anyone if they think the way I do it is sub-optimal.

I don't have an actual real camera, but I use my samsung S8+ and it works really well.

personal tips:
    -make sure your master track volume is maxed out or close to maxed out when finishing the mix, if I max out during monitoring it will be much louder than I want to hear it, so occasionally I forget and mix the track in a low volume. It's a minor problem but it's whatever.

-you can tweak with your tone in your daw with EQs, basically cut/boost 400-550hz and 1k, cut highs (5k,10k, if they're annoying) have a low cut at 60 up to 120hz if you want, anywhere is game between there. and a high cut up to preference but not <8K IMO. People use a Q of 12 for these cuts normally, but really anything is game here.

-alternatively you can also just use your raw guitar sound if you're happy with it, but experimenting with EQ can help you dig in more into the kind of tone you want.

Edited 2 times, last by 0K1900 ().