Posts by Wheresthedug

They're also in the Studio EQ. Hard to say why they've ended up in more than one place, but do they really conflict? One cuts at set frequency, another cuts a bit lower, etc.

They were added to the Cabinet block recently after prolonged requests by some users who didn’t want to have to use an FX slot for a studio EQ but also wanted control on a rig by rig basis as they found the global setting wasn’t flexible enough for their needs.

I'm just going to ask an old lazy man question (because I don't want to go looking for it), can you use the player profiles on a rack or stage :wacko: . Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just want the pack after watching the vid !!

It’s actually the other way round. All the profiles in the Player are from the existing factory content in Rig Manager. So if you already have a rack/head you already have access to all the rigs that come pre loaded on the Player (however some of the might already contain 2 extra FX that the player version can’t access.

The Output Section is global and not part of the Rig specific settings. Low and High Cut in the Output Section are global and in cabinet module are Rig-specific.

If you want to cut across all sounds, Output Section is convenient.

I have some sounds for acoustic guitar, where I want no High Cut. So I do this Rig by Rig in the cabinet module.

Could you clarify whether both sections work at the same time or if changes to the Cabinet Mode override the Output Section settings in a similar way to Pure Cabinet or Default Speaker Imprint V Rig Specific Imprint?

Although I am fully sighted I totally agree that reliance on a mouse is an inconvenience that it would be helpful to bypass where possible. My preferred solution would be for Kemper to allow user defined keyboard shortcuts like many other applications already do. In Logic Apple have a list of factory defined keyboard shortcuts but also the ability for user to assign any keystroke (or combination of keystrokes) to their own personal most used tasks. In my case as a sighted user I hate the reliance on Right Click and wading through Contextual Menus for simple tasks such as loading a new effect etc. The abilty simply assign a user defined keyboard shortcut would make like easier and more efficient for many sighted users while also making life better for unsighted users. That sounds like a win/win to me 🤞

“Sounds not pleasant” is quite a wide ranging statement so it could be any one (or several) of many things. However, when I find the sound is truly “unpleasant the cause is nearly always using XLR>XLR cables with a desk or interface that uses combination inputs that automatically engage the mic preamp when an XLR is plugged in. The solution in most cases is to use a TS>TS cable or XLR>TRS to bypass the mic pre amp which typically can’t handle the output ot the Kemper.

i know this is a bit off topic, but curious as to the basis of that statement. To whom do you refer to?

Yes, i agree, there are far more home/bedroom players than gigging musicians. After all, thats how we all started and 99% of us started playing because we enjoy it not as the path to our main income.

It was intended as tongue in cheek not a statement of fact.

The point is simply that the number of gigs available (at least here in the UK) is constantly dwindling. Most of the pubs that still have live music are still paying the same amount per gig as they were in the 1980's. That part isn't a tongue in cheek joke unfortunately. In Scotland pub gigs are paying around £300 - £500 for a full band, with all their own gear including PA, doing a couple of hours with a break. Of course there are more professional gigs and corporate work the competition for them is high. The days of the weekend warrior pub circuit which a huge number of semi pro players used work regularly or cut their teeth on before moving unto a higher level is dead and buried over here unfortunately. Live music venues are closing almost weekly. Even some great venues that have been going for decades have been closing over the last 12 months. It is tempting to blame it all on COVID but the truth is the decline was already well underway for many years before that. COVID just put the final nail in the coffin.

Therefore, if younger players want to make a living from music they need to think differently and exploit different avenues and markets. I'm not being a grumpy old man shouting at clouds and ranting about how good things were in the old days but everything sucks now. Far from it actually. I believe there is hope for good younger players (and even old farts from my generation) but the opportunities are simply different. Trying to make a living/career playing live music venues (other than weddings and corporate functions) isn't worth the effort now and won't be in future unless the world changes significantly.

That is only what I am seeing here in Scotland and hearing from other parts of the UK. The situation may be very different in other countries though.

Figured it out. It was interference from the wi-fi on the Kemper. I could get it to go away by lowering the gain on the pedal before the Player or simply turning off the wi-fi on the Player.

:)

Interesting to know.

I once had a problem with an annoying ticking sound in a studio with my Dual Rectifier and a Levinson Blade R4. I was running tons of gain and this ticking noise was driving us all nuts. In the end it turned out that the ticking of my watch was transmitting down the neck and through the pickups 🤦‍♂️ I took my watch off and everything was fine.

I typically send full out level from the main XLR but with the -12db box checked. This is often fine but sometimes the FOH engineer will request that I lower it a bit more. When running at home into my interface I typically run the same settings or reduce the output in RM by 6db to give -18db in total. Thinking about it logically I can’t really see any downside to leaving my default at -18db as Ruefus said so I migh just leave it there from now on but still be prepared to tweak manually if a particular engineer requires.

Exactly. I totally agree with this.

I don’t think any of the digital solutions sound bad. In fact I believe there is so little to choose between them from a sound perspective that sound quality of the basic amp and cab is no longer a distinguishing factor for choosing one device over another. I could be perfectly happy with any of the main devices if I put in enough effort to learn their capabilities. I didn’t like the Neural plugins personally but I am pretty sure that if loaded some different IRs I could have gotten something I was really happy with.

The point is that the workflow design and form factor are really the biggest differences between all the competing devices. Although I have no way of knowing for sure, I would be shocked if Neural didn’t FULLY understand their target market and designed the unit more for use in a studio on a desk but to look like something you could gig if you wanted. And if I wanted a desktop unit to double as my ultimate guitar rig and the only interface I used then I think the QC would need to be very close to the top of my shortlist.

…… I tried putting the expression in front of pedals with no joy. ………….I can’t for the life of me find a way of putting the expression pedal into the signal path.

The key factor to understand is that a volume pedal or wah pedal are inserted into the signal path and audio passes through them. Whereas an expression pedal isn’t. The expression pedal only controls midi data or control voltage and no audio ever passes through it. This concept is fundamental to how you configure your setup and the units you are trying to control.

You mist connect to the Kemper Pedal inputs and tell the Kemper (in the system menu) how it should perceive information it receives; “should I treat this as a wah pedal, volume pedal, morph pedal or pitch pedal”. You can’t use the expression pedal to control the volume of the analog audio but you can tell the Kemper to treat expression pedal movement as if turning the volume or gain knob inside the Kemper itself. Where you decide to insert the pedal digitally/virtually will determine how it works but the pedal itself will always be connected to the same pedal input on the KPA.

I find that the Kemper Rack with FC is the height of gigging bliss. All the power you could ever ask for and a single cable that powers and connects the FC to the Kemper Rack to keep the cable clutter out from your feet.

That’s definitely my view too. i don’t like having any more cables at the front of stage than absolutely necessary. I can (sort of) see why some people like the stage but I still struggle to see an advantage over a head/rack and remote. Maybe I’m just a weirdo thpigh 🤣

I was baffled by the QC introduction. Surely they handed this thing out to beta testers that actually GIG for a living? A little simple competitive analysis should also have warned them that there really is a minimum distance between foot switches needed for ergonomics when gigging. A shame really. It is a really nice unit in most other regards.

Nobody gigs for a living anymore 🤦‍♂️ Those days are long gone. Its all about YouTube/Instagram/TickTock views and advertising revenue now. I’m pretty sure they beta tested with a lot of “influencers” so live use never really raised its ugly head. The market for people playing at home is probably exponentially greater than the market for people actually gigging so their decision is that baffling to me. Although the QC wouldn’t work for me, and I don’t personally like the Neural plugins that I’ve tried, I can see how they could have arrived at their design decisions.

Nobody except Christophe Kemper knows the answer to that. He has clearly stated that more effect will be added at some point. These might be free or might be paid for, again we don’t know yet and can only guess. However, I would be absolutely shocked if the Player doesn’t use the same chip for all audio functionality as the Head/Rack/Stage. There, this would suggest that the player should be capable of producing all the effects/amps of its bigger brothers if Kemper decides it makes commercial sense to do so. All we can do is wait and see.

The main manual makes it pretty clear. Unfortunately, I don’t know the page numbers in the German version but could direct you to the correct secin the English version.

In short you need to connect an expression pedal (not a volume pedal) to the pedal input on the KPA with a TRS cable.

Next you need to tell the KPA what you want the pedal to do (wah/volume/morph/pitch) in the System Menu by rotating the pedal type knob.

If you only want the pedal to perform one function (such as wah OR volume) just select this and you are done. If you want to use the same pedal to act as a wah AND something else like volume or pitch use the wah>…… checkbox (for example wah>volume). In this case the pedal will control Wah if there is an active wah effect in the rig selected but if there is no active wah in the rig the pedal will act as the alternative selection (volume/pitch). It’s pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it. The information isn’t fragmented if you have a copy of the full manual in your native language.

I know. But this is Touch Wah. What I mean is Auto Wah that is controled by an oszillator.

I believe the touch wah is a much more useful effect than an oscillator controlled wah but I take your point. I actually, believe the addition of oscillator control could be attractive for some people for many effects not just wah. Although it’s something I am highly unlikely to ever want or use I can definitely see how it would be useful to many players with a more experimental approach.

You can already update multiple rigs in bulk for the meta data. I've done it for most of my rigs to ensure standardisation. However, you can't perform bulk edits on actual rig parameters as the rig needs to be loaded in the edit buffer to make changes and this can only load one rig at a time.

As for the folder structures, I stopped using folders altogether some time ago as I found them more of a hinderance than a help for one simple reason - the search function doesn't work properly when folders are used. In my opinion by far the biggest improvement to folder functionality would be to allow sub folder searches like other programs and OS. For example if I performa a search from the all rigs level I get a true search of ALL Rigs (ie folders are simply ignored). However, using your example If I wanted to search the Thomas Dill folder and this contained say 4 sub folders, searching the main folder would only show results that are NOT in any of the sub folders. In order to search rigs in the Bread & Butter/ Amp & Drive Rigs. I would need to perform the search from within the Amp & Drive Rigs folder itself. This is bonkers and makes folders almost pointless and certainly unworkable in my opinion.

I'm with Niko on this one. Not the worst idea ever. The little graphic eq icons used by the OP reminded me immediately of Seymour Duncan and some other pickup manufacturers where they put a comparative rating on their websites to give some general guidance to buyers. It isn't a replacement for trying the pickups yourself but it can definitely help narrow down the shortlist to try.

I can certainly see a use for it and benefits from having it HOWEVER, I'm not sure how such a thing could be implemented.

What is the baseline to judge against?

Would users be responsible for entering their own perception? One persons' seriously scooped is another persons' mildly cut mids.

Could a system be created where the profile is analysed against the Kemper default Crunch rig (or some other benchmark) and a rating applied relative to this?

I think it only makes sense and works in the real world if Rig Manager can automatically analyse and compare to a factory default benchmark. However, I don;t know whether this is a practical/technical possibility.