Bare Bones Basic 101 Kemper / iMac Setup

• Apologies are in order, as I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere. However, I would simply like to know What is the minimum that I need to do to connect my Kemper to my iMac and hear the output through my speakers. Things that I have if required:

- Logic Pro
    - Garage Band
    - Appogee Jam
    - Saffire Pro 14
    - Various cables

Again I apologize for what is probably a beaten to death topic, but I would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks a bunch. :saint:

• Plug one cable from Kemper SPDIF out to Saffire SPDIF In. One from Saffire SPDIF Out to Kemper SPDIF In.

Set up the Saffire interface in Mix Control to accept SPDIF.

I have mine set like this (the DAW 5 and 6 boxes)

Set you input on Logic to Either Mono Track In 5 or 6 or Stereo track In 5-6. Set output to 6 if reamping otherwise use Stereo outs.

Hopefully that will get you going but I use Saffire Pro 14 and Logic X so let me know if you need anything more.

Have fun.

• Hi Alan,

So I've got everything set up as to where I am getting signal in the mix control. What I need assistance with now is the Logic config. I had to upgrade to Logic X due to upgrading my OS. Can you help me out with what to do in Logic? Thanks for everything thus far.

• You would usually have the speakers connected to the Focusrite Outputs 1 and 2.

What speakers are you using? Are they active or passive. If active then plug straight into the speakers (that how I run my Adam A7x). If they are passive run into the L&R inputs of your poweramp.

I would suggest setting the Focusrite as your default audio interface on the computer and play some audio to check the connections are all set up and working.

Then in Logic you need to select the appropriate Input on each channel before starting to play or record. Typically you might have the Kemper feeding Channel 1 or in stereo to a Channels 1 and 2. In order to hear what you are sending to the Logic channel you need to engage the little”I” button (Input) on the Logic channel and the “R” button if you want to record.

The output of the channel in Logic would be set to Stereo Out.

After that start playing and enjoy.

Loxic is a very powerful tool. It can seem overwhelming at first but it’s pretty logical and once you get a hang of the basics you will be making music in no time. The built in Drummer which automatically creates Drum parts in various styles is brilliant for some quick jamming to get you started.