Profiling a 100 watt amp through a 100 watt cab

• I'm looking to profile a 100 watt amp through a 100 cabinet. More specifically, the amp is a marshall plexi replica and the cabinet is a 4x12 with 25 watt greenback type speakers. I want to profile the amp with the volume dimed. Yes, I know that a 100 watt amp will put out more than 100 watts when maxed out. Yes, I know this will eventually lead to blowing a speaker after a certain amount of time playing it through a 100 watt cab. Does anyone know if it's possible that I could make it through the profiling process without blowing a speaker? Or would the profiling process (specifically the last part) be too much for the speakers to even just attempt it once?

• I'll have to see if anyone I know has a cab I can borrow to try that. Although, I was wondering if anyone had already tried attempting this. I'd be kinda surprised if no one has tested this already, considering that's the recipe for the EVH sound.

• IIRC, I believe Eddie used to have only 1 speaker in it's own cab miked and the other 3 (or more?) isolated and covered in blankets and whatever else so it wouldn't be deafening in the studio, as well as obviously the variac to reduce voltage to the entire amp. It'll be freakin' loud

• Would putting a variac on the amp at ~90 volts like he did, reduce the wattage coming out of the amp (with everything else being the same)?

• Are they vintage 25W Celestions? If they're in good shape, a 4x12 with greenbacks 'should' be able to handle (and I believe it's rated for 100w). FWIW, I gigged with a 50W Marshall for several years w/ a 1x12 cabinet and a 25W Celestion, and often times dimed it with no problems. I also profiled my 100W Marshall through my 4x12 with a mix of vintage and reissue Celestions...and again no issue (and the amp was on 10).

Your mileage may vary depending on how much your amp is putting out and the condition of your speakers....so proceed with caution and at your own risk!!

That being said, I've never personally had an issue cranking my 100 through a 4x12, and think it would be unlikely to cause any damage for the short time it takes to profile. You also get a different sound than you would with two 4x12 cabinets, because with a single cabinet, the speakers are driven harder and have more cone breakup, which is desirable to my ears.

• As a side note, the amp will output its nominal max tension only when all its controls are maxed out: gain, master, tones and any witch that affects the sound.

Still chasing a worthy one :/