Will Kemper ever release a FRFR Cab?

• Well, I agree with you bd. In any case, I'm gonna buy the Kemper to be use in the studio and at home... but I was also thinking that if I can just purchase the poweramp and a cab, it would be a perfect device to be use for small venues, bars or even to jam with some friends and would light me a lot to not carry-on heavy stuff :)

However, due to my past experience with isolated box, I know that's not what I'm looking for... So if it's the case, I better to not invest in the poweramp and FRFR cab.

Since I'm doing 90% of studio work, I do know the impact of mic choices, placement of the mic or even the cab in the room, etc... That's why I think the Kemper will be PERFECT to "capture" the sound I want on the record, and I will do a Profile for every single session. That way, if an artist wants to re-record some part of a song we did 2 or 3 weeks ago, I will just load the profile. So don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the KPA at all.

But since I never had any real success with modeling (11R, Pod, Digitech, etc...) with real amp, I'm just more sceptic about the sound you get "in the room".

In any case, I'm gonna run some test (with loadbox, IR, etc..) when I will get the Kemper Rack (The KPA is arrived at my friend's studio, but I'm waiting myself for the rack version for home).

Anyway, thanks all for your comments and suggestions and your very important feedback.

Phil

• The kemper is very good at doing the amp in a room sound thing with direct profiles.
    I tend to use it in the house and studio with regular profiles.
    With my band (who all insist on using old style bass amps drums etc) I currently use the direct profiles with power amp and cab.
    There are a few direct profiles on the rig exchange now, and they work better in this context IMHO than any other digital device out there. ( I previously owned and axefx2, and my son owns one). If thats your bag, then leave mixing up to the sound engineer.
    Christoph has in the past hinted at providing some direct profiles in a future rig pack, but if you do a search there are a few direct profiles on the rig exchange.
    Ive put up some EVH5153, Marshall AFD and Marshall YJM ones. I know there are some Boogie ones too.

• Drummers, Singer, Keyboarders all go thru FRFR monitors on stage.
    I have never seen them discussing the best FRFR solution, that they could buy and carry on stage.
    Why is that?

CK

Because guitar players are nuts :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Jet city amp has made something like that.

Sounds interesting, I'll have a look at those.
    I'm mainly recording and producing these days but if I will gig with the Kemper I would like to have the variety of cabs available that is one of the strong points of the Kemper and that rules the direct-profile->power amp->guitar cab solution out. So I would give the FOH my main out and use this FRFR-Marshall cab just for the look and because I am used to have my guitar sound coming out of a big cab behind me. It doesn't have to be absolutely linear - heck even my studio monitors are not fully linear. I just want the look and a fairly flat-response speaker. It wouldn'T get mic'd anyway, the audience would get the main out of the Kemper.

• How about using the monitor out with cab off straight?
    Should be a valid replacement for direct profiles.

Tell me your experience.

I had a quite good experience, even if a full parametric 5 band eq would have been better, since some frequencies can be too much for certain guitar cabs, while others need to be boosted.
    Anyway i hardly use the cab off option, since i prefere IEM's.

• Ok I didn't see it on their site :)

To my knowledge, Jet City has not mentioned anything about their 4x12 style FRFR cab called the 700dp since the Namm show. I even emailed them 2 months ago to ask about it, and never got a response.

I use an EV elx112p monitor cab with my KPA and I'm pretty happy with the results. I liked this much better than running it through a traditional guitar amp & cabinet. However, like others have said, I miss the "look" of a guitar amp backline.

I have an empty Marshall 4x10 straight cabinet, l've been considering gutting the EV and putting the parts in the Marshall, just to have the "look"....

• Tom Scholz wasn't nuts - he used his own custom (800W, I think they were) FRFR cabs on stage with Boston. Of course, he also designed his own amps to go with those cabs. :love:

-djh

+1 and I'll add , live on myths 24/24 7 days a week ..a good sound is a good sound whatever produces it

• I have an empty Marshall 4x10 straight cabinet, l've been considering gutting the EV and putting the parts in the Marshall, just to have the "look"....

I've been thinking of exactely the same thing only that I don't have an EV to gut ;) I might be looking into 12" coax speaker and suitable crossovers. Should be fairly flat and full range and would have the "look".
    I also would like the look of those stylish boutique cabs (like the /13 cabs) somehting with the tolex, piping and grill-cloth in the same color scheme as the Kemper. Now that would be cool.
    Uhm, well guitar players are just plain nuts I think ;)

• Drummers, Singer, Keyboarders all go thru FRFR monitors on stage.
    I have never seen them discussing the best FRFR solution, that they could buy and carry on stage.
    Why is that?

CK

Maybe because they needed it from day one, it wasn't an option, for guitarist this is a new reality(or a new option)... on the other end there is plenty of dedicated FRFR monitors for drummers, singers and keyboarders, but at this point almost none for modelers targeted at giving you the look and feel of the many guitar cabinet you are emulating.

Honestly, I would not want at this point to bypass your cabinet system to go back using a regular guitar power amp and cabinet since for me it would be loosing too much of what the Kemper is offering. On the other hand I would really like to be told "to get the best out of the Kemper use that FRFR system", there is simply too many options at an incredibly wide range of prices and none seems to bring consensus.

Also, you seems to have work very hard on your cabinet emulation technology, so I though you might also have an idea on what system and speaker would be the best to reproduce it....

Thanks.

• Recommending would be an option, but wouldn't it still be subjective?
    For someone one system is too bright, while another would be too dark. Even flat response speakers have some colouring which some users like and some don't. Some like Genelecs, some hate them and that goes with all different brands.
    The way it usually works with cabs, monitor speakers etc, is to listen to a few and buy the one you like, the one that fits your style and character of what you believe is your personal sound.
    :)

• I think I cannot answer fhis question.
    I find this "what is a good FRFR" questions a bit odd, it's like asking somebody what is the best home speakers to listen to your favorite record.

The best FRFR might be the one, where your favorite record sounds the best.
    Your Profiler should sound great with it.

• I think I cannot answer fhis question.
    I find this "what is a good FRFR" questions a bit odd, it's like asking somebody what is the best home speakers to listen to your favorite record.

The best FRFR might be the one, where your favorite record sounds the best.
    Your Profiler should sound great with it.

Chris, being a keyboarder as well as a guitarist and having a small studio myself I know where you are coming from. But guitarists minds work different from other musicians ;)

I think this question comes every so often because guitarists are used to think of their cabs as a part of the actual sound, the look on stage and they are used to hear their amp from behind - even at rehearsal we put our amps and cabs behind us. We are just used to put an amp head on top of a 4x12 cab and plug it in. We just don't like the idea of putting something on top of a PA wedge or a hifi-speaker ;)

So if somebody would release an active cab in the size of a Marshall slant cab with a built in neutral power amp and say 4 12" coax speakers we could just plug our Kemper in, this would be the way to go for many people. Just make it plug and play. You take that fucking cab and just plug your Kemper in and you would be set. That would work pretty much like a conventional amp/cab system and would appeal to guitarists I think. With the tolex in the color scheme of the Kemper and the Kemper logo etched on a pinstripe grill cloth and you've got a winner ;)

There are some cabs already (from Atomic and I think a guy in Germany builts some as well) but they are either very expensive and/or don't look much like rock'n'roll - at least not to me ;)
    I've already thought about getting in touch with Tubetown (TT-cabs) in Lemberg and talk about a possible build.

Edited 2 times, last by Garrincha ().