Rolling your own profiles.

• I have had my Kemper going on 2 years now. My plan was to buy/obtain rigs from others I wanted and use them which I have been doing happily. In this time I have profiled a few amps with a 57 or I5 with results that had me saying "I'll just use someone else's profiles done correctly". I was recording my nice stock 4104 with a condenser mic the other day and the recording sounded so good I thought I'd give profiling a try with that. (I never did before because of the need for phantom power). So I set up an inexpensive mixer with phantom power and ran the board out into the KPA and profiled. The very first profile I made that way (and not fiddling around, doing it very quickly) turned out great and as good as if not better than many profiles I have tried! Kemper really should have allowed for phantom power because dynamic mics (for me anyway) don't produce great results like this.

I want to share this profile and get opinions, can I do that here or only rig exchange? I had the mic a bit off the cone so it could be brighter when direct, but through a cab it sounds great to me. I wish I would have tried the condenser sooner, It's fun to use amps I "wrote" and done with a condenser make a HUGE difference! The amp recorded with a condenser sounded good but the profile of the amp sounds slightly better & more musical but still sounds just like the amp but like it's going through expensive mics and console with a good engineer at the helm. Not really altered just more "finished" in a good way.

I had no desire before, but now that I found out how and how easy it is to get good results, I'm going to mess with this more!

• I bought a Behringer C1 for a friend around November. $19 US on Sweetwater (Normally $45 US). So I made a few profiles with it before I handed it over. They sounded great.

I wish I had spent more time with it now. Still waiting for a sale and to test the other condensers I have floating around the house.

I feel that having a good representation of all the frequencies is sometimes better than having the peaks and valleys of an SM57 for example. Then you have more room to EQ the profile. But I have not done enough profiling to have more than anecdotal stories yet.

Profiling is the most fun I have had with Guitar in a long time.

• For recoding and profiling I'm always using a tube preamp.
    so my suggestion is (not too expensive)
    https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…tube-mp-microphone-preamp
    and
    https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…ragm-condenser-microphone

I was using a Spark and a Xynex 1202 so not snobby "high end" gear and got great results! I see the way profiling works just takes doing the right thing not really having killer recording gear. I could have used my neve, preamp, but wanted to see how the Behringer1202 would do. It did so well I wouldn't be bothered to connect to my other pres.