Problem with recordings!

• Hey there.

I started to record some tracks for our next album. My setup would be this:

Guitar -> kemper -> spdif to focusrite scarlett 8i6 3rd gen -> cubase elements 11

Now, my biggest concern is that when i record my track, on the direct monitor of my audio interface and also by playing alone and not in cubase, the profiles sounds just fine. After a day i heard what i was recording and the tone sounds very fizzy and very gainy. I am using high gain profiles and i am setting my profiles in order to have less gain because we quad track the whole album.

As i said, the tone is very fizzy and gainy. Kemper with cubase are in sync in 44.1 khz. Also, the SPDIF volume is at 0.0 db. The spdif output is git/master mono.

How could it be possible that i have two distinct tones?

No post processing on the cubase, the tracks are raw!

Thank you

• Ok. Found out that after i recorded the DI and the tone itself, when i am reamping the DI through the same profile it clips sonically. If i play my guitar through the same profile with the direct monitoring of the DAW or monitors, the tone is there.

So my next question, what is the volume of the SPDIF i need to set in order not to record so hot?

• And you don't need to use less gain for quad tracking It's already been proven by a member here that did it and not extra gain was applied with quad tracking.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Ok. Found out that after i recorded the DI and the tone itself, when i am reamping the DI through the same profile it clips sonically. If i play my guitar through the same profile with the direct monitoring of the DAW or monitors, the tone is there.

So my next question, what is the volume of the SPDIF i need to set in order not to record so hot?It's

Safe levels are around (-12) to (-6)db but you can go lower. In the Kemper Output settings the SPDIF volume is default at 0.0db so just lower it until the clipping goes away with no peaks above (-6)db in your DAW.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Are you using the Kemper as your clock source?

On my interface you choose SPDIF as the clock source.

Kemper is the clock source.

Safe levels are around (-12) to (-6)db but you can go lower. In the Kemper Output settings the SPDIF volume is default at 0.0db so just lower it until the clipping goes away with no peaks above (-6)db in your DAW.

I have managed to figure that out.. i completely forgot about this issue and it was not going into red but the meters were above 0 db...now i have dialed back the faders in daw. What is the best thing to do? Drop the daw faders until it reaches -6db or lower the spdif output from the kemper?

• Kemper is the clock source.

I have managed to figure that out.. i completely forgot about this issue and it was not going into red but the meters were above 0 db...now i have dialed back the faders in daw. What is the best thing to do? Drop the daw faders until it reaches -6db or lower the spdif output from the kemper?

I would lower the SPDIF level so you have more headroom. You get better results bringing up the signal than dropping it.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Why would someone ever want to change input levels to control output levels?

And apart from that neither of the "Sense" settings are input level controls either. You're doing something fundamentally wrong.

I don't know what am i doing wrong. For now, the levels going into the audio interface is SPDIF volume is set to -5db. I want to record a DI track also for reamping. The meters are showing me the maximum height at about -6 db in my focusrite software and also in my daw for both the wet and dry tracks, with the mention that clean sense is at - 7db. If i raise the clean sense, it also raises the level of the DI track and when i reamp it, it adds a ton of fizz and muddines, just ruins the tone. What am i doing wrong?

• Does it clip in the DI channel when recording? Have you listened to the DI's before you reamp?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• The DI itself it's not clipping but the reamp track has this artificial clipping sounds in the high frequency. Also, the DI is clipping the Kemper as the guitar played through the kemper is not

• Pickups are Seymour Duncan JB's and it is not cliping the profiler input. Basically, if i don't use clean sense, i have to lower the input of the di channel in cubase with aprox -6 to stay in the safe zone, BUT recording the DI at full volume as the wet track and reamp it and change the reamp sense or clean sense, it still alteres the tone badly