Getting the in the room sound...in headphones.

• Typically I'm not a fan of close miced on axis guitar sounds. They sound a bit too brash for my tastes and many profiles I've tried (stock, user, and commercial) have that sound going on. The quickest cure is to long press the Cabinet soft button and then crank up the Character parameter. I'm not entirely sure what Kemper is exactly modeling here, but to me it really sound like pulling a mic back and even maybe turning it a bit off axis. The high end smooths out and the cabinet resonance comes through sounding more like a full audio portrait of an amp "in the room"...so to speak. Next long press the reverb button and choose either small room or matchbox. Crank up the mix to 100% wet, but turn the time down close to zero, predelay to zero, and the dampening up fairly high. You can now use the bandwidth to "tune" the room you're in and level to control proximity to the amp. Presto, amp in the room in your headphones!

• I'm gonna check this out tonight/tomorrow as well. Always looking for cool tips! Will post back.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks...THANKS!

• Just lost several hours to this tip :D

Surprised at the difference it makes when monitoring like this via headphones, makes everything sound a little more 'organic' and 50% "more realer" :whistling:

Now if I could only get my head around the studio EQ...

Thanks a lot for this.

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Will, this is a very good approach!
    There is not many users that really have discovered our deep parameters, such as Cab Character.
    The profiles are far away from being just a snapshot!

Edited once, last by ckemper ().

• Will, this is a very good approach!
    There is not many users that really have discovered our deep parameters, such as Cab Character.
    The profiles are far away from being just a snapshot!

Thanks! Believe it or not, I was actually slightly criticized for adjusting it when demoing some Amp Factory profiles! IMHO, a profile is a starting point not the ending point and I'm not afraid to twist some knobs to get the tones I want.

• That's why all those knobs are there: turn them! It is so easy with the Kemper!

I agree, but do disagree in a sense. At what point do you get so far away from the "true" profile, that it doesn't even sound like the original amp anymore? I guess one could argue, if it sounds good, who cares, and that is a good point as well I find that, with the general treb mid bass pres EQ, going much over or under 2db + Or -, you loose the "trueness" of the profile in a sense. Anyone else agree with me, or am I in my own little world here? :D

• I agree, but do disagree in a sense. At what point do you get so far away from the "true" profile, that it doesn't even sound like the original amp anymore? I guess one could argue, if it sounds good, who cares, and that is a good point as well I find that, with the general treb mid bass pres EQ, going much over or under 2db + Or -, you loose the "trueness" of the profile in a sense. Anyone else agree with me, or am I in my own little world here? :D

I agree. Things are not always what they seem.

• Meh, as you argued to your self, "who cares if it sounds good"

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I agree, but do disagree in a sense. At what point do you get so far away from the "true" profile, that it doesn't even sound like the original amp anymore? I guess one could argue, if it sounds good, who cares, and that is a good point as well I find that, with the general treb mid bass pres EQ, going much over or under 2db + Or -, you loose the "trueness" of the profile in a sense. Anyone else agree with me, or am I in my own little world here? :D

I completely and totally disagree with this perspective regarding the Kemper as I couldn't care less if the profile sounds exactly like the amp at the moment of profiling. That kind of parameter conservatism and devotion to a rigid virtual reality would be extremely limiting IMHO and you'll miss out on the best tones in the unit. Forget about whether or not the unit sounded exactly like a source amp you've never played before and simply adjust it to sound the best for you. Adjusting a profile cleaner or gainer than possible in the real world (along with many other deep parameters) is where the magic really lies in this box...

• To approximately get the "in the room sound" - you could try a headphone amp with crossfeed or perhaps a VST plugin like Isone or Redline Monitor.

A Planar Magnetic Headphone like a Hifiman HE-400 and up or Audeze LCD-2 and a decent headphone amp might even give you some sense of moving air. For that kind of money - I'll lug my gear to where i can go full blast for some years to come.

• To approximately get the "in the room sound" - you could try a headphone amp with crossfeed or perhaps a VST plugin like Isone or Redline Monitor.

A Planar Magnetic Headphone like a Hifiman HE-400 and up or Audeze LCD-2 and a decent headphone amp might even give you some sense of moving air. For that kind of money - I'll lug my gear to where i can go full blast for some years to come.

Seriously, try the tip. it works...

• Haven't tried the Asus Xonar cards but the Xonar U1 seems like a good portable solution for having Dolby Surround on your laptop without breaking the bank. Great for gaming too I would imagine.

Edited once, last by possie ().