The first Atomic CLR test from a KPA user ?

• So... is the CLR best for one who gigs, or is it equally good for the home studio?
    I have Behringer FRFRs I've been happy with for years, but if the CLR can make an improvement, I would be interested. ^^

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• So... is the CLR best for one who gigs, or is it equally good for the home studio?
    I have Behringer FRFRs I've been happy with for years, but if the CLR can make an improvement, I would be interested. ^^

In terms of making the KPA sound I believe you can't even compare the two!
    If you ask about the use of two CLR as studio monitors instead, some users have reported they sound amazingly.
    Specs are very good so this is no surprise. They're probably not the best choice for a use as NF tho, but as MF I bet nothing can beat them in their price range and (well) above. :thumbup:

• I got the mail that I'm now on top of the list this morning.
    Placed my order and should have the unit within a week, hopefully.
    I signed the list only March 9th, so this means either the list is not too long or they really deliver quantities.
    This will be a good week! ;)

Nice!

I received my initial email confirmation for the active wedge on mar 11 so I should be soon! Did u get the active wedge?

• Their pdf manual has a frequency response chart. Cool! Very flat! With a dip at the very lows.

If the response wasn't perfectly flat (like 2.5 db dip in the lows) I could just compensate with a little master EQ to get it perfectly flat. Right?

Anyone know the total harmonic distortion rating (THD) and stuff for the powered versions? Can't see it on their website or manual. It seems to me this more important than the flatness; given that some EQ can adjust flatness, and that the Kemper's EQ is phenomenal.

• So, I received the CLR's 6 days ago when I was in Frankfurt at the Musikmesse.
    Therefore I didn't have too much time with it due to a horribly busy week.
    But it's been long enough to check if they are keepers and to compare them to my Yamaha HS80 Studio Monitors and my Yamaha DXR 10 that I normally use for gigs and rehearsals (and that I'm very satisfied with).

Initially I had planned to do a video shootout like I did before but this has to wait and will be done later sometime.

This is about my first impressions.

So, all in all, CLR vs. DXR 10, the CLR wins. BUT BY A VERY SMALL MARGIN.
    It's true that the CLR is very very faithful to the original sound and mirrors very well what comes out of the HS80’s.
    So 2 CLR's will undoubedly do a good job for studio monitoring.
    In direct comparison the DXR10 adds a little bottom end and subtracts a little from the trebliest high end which makes playing the DXR such a pleasing guitarplayer experience, very amp- like. But this can easily be corrected with the use of output EQ and is not of any practical significance anyway, IMO.
    Also the CLR sounds a little more open and differentiated in the midrange. OTOH the DXR doesn't sound 'boxy', only slightly different.
    Placing the CLR and the DXR right in front of me as wedges doesn't lead to a 'good side - bad side' impression.
    The similarities (clarity, punch, fidelity) are bigger than the differences.

What's the verdict?
    I'll keep the CLR's AND the DXR10. The CLR's are completely and undoubtedly worth their price, but the DXR10 is only 2/3 of the CLR's price and actually a steal.
    There's no reason not to use the DXR10 live, and I also like the smaller footprint very much.

• Thanks Ingolf. Have you used the CLR's live yet?

I'm on the list but... also on the fence :)