Clean Sense and Noise Gate settings make a HUGE difference

• Hi
    Tried it but only fast.
    With the profile I used I had quite a difference in sound when I lowered the clean sense (from aprox 9 to 3)and to the better in my opinion.
    The volume of the sound did not change more than slightly.
    Then I disabled the compressor (slot A) for that profile and then the volume dropped very much when lowering the clean sense (as expected) but the sound quality did not change as it did with the compressor enabled.
    With the compressor enabled changing the clean setting definitely changes the sound.

Mike

• It is very obvious that the clean sense modifies the gain of that profile. This is something that should not happen.

I don't know if it's of any use for you or your developers, but I noticed that behaviour the other day too after updating to 1.7 beta. I played around numerous times with clean and distorted sense before and it never happened. Clean sense was never influencing the distorted profiles. I was very surprised to find it did NOW.

But to be honest, I didn't change those settings after I found the settings for my guitars. It was just coincidence that I fumbled around with the clean sense setting since I changed the pickups on one guitar and was just adjusting the clean volume.

So there is a chance that I actually had this bug even before 1.7 but didn't notice it. What I do know is it used to work just like the manual says and now it doesn't.

• Ok, guys, here is the conclusion:

Everything works as expected.
    As you know the Clean Sense will change the volume of clean sounds. This is for leveling them against distorted sounds.
    Slightly distorted sounds will still be affected in volume by Clean Sense, since there is a certain transition window, not a hard distinction.
    The smooth transition is needed, since there is a soft transition between clean, crunch and heavy distorted sounds as well.

The change you are perceiving is just a change in the output volume, not gain or something else.
    The sound is not changed, just the volume.
    And it has always been like that. We didn't change this since the release of the Profiler.

CK

• Thanks for clarifying the matter for us CK! Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned, in fact I think it's nice having control over how hard the guitar signal hits the amp input, but I'd still like to know what is the setting that corresponds to the original profiled amp, be it relative to the input sense setting during profiling (not sure it even makes a difference during profiling) or an absolute value like 5.0 for instance.

• I rechecked it today after reading your post and it seems that you are right. It can be that it only affects the output level. It seems to affect sounds which are more than what I would call slightly distorted though. I guess that was not expected since the manual says that “Clean Sense” determines the volume of clean sounds. It is true that the more distorted they are the less it seems to affect but maybe it would be a good idea to mention this in the manual since for most people clean means no distortion at all.

For anybody who noticed the differences and wants to tests what CK says, you can lower the volume of your guitar right until you get a completely clean sound on your distorted rig, then play with the clean sense to the max and to the min and you will notice that the sound is still clean (at least on my end) in both cases, which means that at least the gain is not affected by the clean sense settings.