Polishing a profile with eq on the X and MOD spots

• I just did this, I think I got somewhere.

Here's a before and after clip:
    https://soundcloud.com/nakedzen/kemper-eq-tone-test

In a mix:
    https://soundcloud.com/nakedzen/kemper-eq-tone-test-in-a-mix (The mix was tweaked for the more middy "before" guitar tone, so it's not perfect).

What I did, was change first the amp eq to bass +0.5, mid -0.5, treble +0.5, pres +0.5 from neutral.

I then added these eq's to the X and MOD spots:

(X) Metal Eq: Low +2, Mid -2.5, fr 750Hz, High -4.2
    (MOD) Studio Eq: Mid1 gain -2, fr 280Hz, Mid gain +5, Mid fr 5.1 kHz (The second clip is +2.5 @ 5.8kHz, sounds less harsh)

You'll need to tweak them differently to suit your profile, guitar and pickups.

Anyone have any other eq tricks?

• I always have an EQ on the X spot. Always.
    Graphic EQ for the most part, occasionally a studio EQ instead - the graphic is simpler. Settings vary.
    The 'standard' is a 1-2db boost to the 10KHz, a 3-4db boost to the 80Hz and adjust from there - i normally try not to interfere too much. If something's wrong, i change cabs or play with the tonestack.

As for axiomatic 'tweaks', off the top of my head;
    -cutting on either the 160 or 320Hz depending on type of amp will tighten it up without losing 'oomph' and can 'modernize' some flubby amps.
    -a slight boost to the 1250Hz band will add a somewhat 'honky' and 'stiff' quality to a gain patch - used carefully it can make an amp 'stiffer' or 'softer' sounding without making it harsh or fizzy.
    -try this: +0.8 @ 320Hz, +1.6 @ 640Hz. +0.4 @ 1250Hz. Now dial back the mids on the tonestack. Try it in reverse as well (boost the tonestack and cut with the EQ).
    -easy does it. I try not to boost treble or presence in the tonestack more than +1.0, and never more than 2.5db to anything but 80Hz and 10Khz.
    -having said that, if using a studio EQ, a big boost in the 13-15Khz region can make the sound more 'airy' without any perceived fizz added to it.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Yup, very small tweaks amount to a whole lot together. A good way to find frequencies that need cutting and boosting is to use the parametric studio eq, cut/boost around 7-8 dB and tweak the freq around while you play to find them. Then turn the cut/boost back to around 2-3dB.

I pretty much always make a slight cut around 250-320 Hz too, to get more clarity.

• Here's my short list of eq for guitar (bear in mind I do metal/rock/punk):

<60Hz Cut everything, this is just noise
    80-120 Hz depending on how you want your low end to sound, either cut here, or boost slightly. This is where the punch of the bass guitar and kick drum lives. So you could do it like bass guitar 80 Hz, kick 100 Hz, guitar 110 Hz or any other combination of those. Or you can use the same freq for all of them to create an illusion of a huge punchy low end for the guitars. (You'll probably need to compress the low end with a multiband comp if you do this).
    250-320 Hz the mud/warmth region, cut here for more clarity, cut too much and you lose warmth. Add here to make sterile and cold sounding guitars more warm.
    400-800 Hz, lower midrange, either cut or boost here depending on if you guitar mix needs more power/mass/body. Cutting at 750-850 Hz. will give room for the bass guitar to come through the mix clearly, and make it more powerful sounding for smaller speaker systems.
    1kHz-2kHz More definition, up frontness. Too much, and it sounds like a cocked wah pedal.
    4-6 kHz boost here for more "in your face" bite. Too much, and it becomes knife-in-ear. Very easy to go overboard here.
    8-10 kHz for more "air".

Those are just general regions on where to look for a specific frequency, don't use the whole area. Like boosting at 5.5 kHz with a high q-value (=narrow band) for about 2 dB for more bite. Less is more, and always rather cut than boost. (Boosting raises the noise). Want more cutting and bright tone? Cut below 80 Hz, at 280 Hz and at 750 Hz. Your mix now sounds brighter without any boosting.

• Get a free vst parametric eq that has a graphic display (paragraphic) and play around with it. Much easier to understand what you're doing with a visual aid. :)

I disagree strongly..Sorry

For those that want to learn EQ, do not use any sort of Graphic EQ, use a blank EQ with no readouts (like most studio EQ's)
    Reason is that People tend to use there eyes rather than ears. - and ears are always correct, as our eyes are not.

So learning to use EQ for the first time is very important to physically listen to the changes your doing, not by seeing what your doing.

Ok you can shoot me down now. Im obv oldschool here, and I bet no-one agrees with me whatsoever. but this is my case, and I feel strongly for it :)
    (im talking about DAW EQing)

The EQ's on the Kemper are great tools! and are needed a lot of time in a band setting or just at home alone!
    I prefer one EQ Pre-amp, and one Post. as it can be useful & musical at the same time.

• Well I do agree with you strongly that it's better to use your ears than eyes, since eyes will fool you. (Tweak an eq with your eyes for half an hour and then notice it's not even turned on the track is a good example. :D) "Mmm, what a great eq this is, so transparent."

Just a suggestion for him to get an idea how a parametric works so it's not complete hebrew+010110110011 to him.

• I pretty much always have to cut around 4-6 khz with high gain profiles as I get so much fizz from that area. This is especially true with 5150/6505 profiles... Am I doing something wrong?

• I pretty much always have to cut around 4-6 khz with high gain profiles as I get so much fizz from that area. This is especially true with 5150/6505 profiles... Am I doing something wrong?

No, this is pretty common, especially if you have a bright sounding guitar. However, ff you are using hi gain profiles for recording i would always recommend to leave a little bit more hi end fizz in the sound and place a filter in the DAW afterwards. This makes sure you don´t cut the highs too much. In the mix you will often need a little more hi end. Once those frequencies are lost, it´s way harder to get them back without sounding shitty.