Copying tones from Recordings / CD's

• Is it possible to "profile" the tone of a recorded Song? For example...let's say I was able to isolate a small section of the guitar on a song....no other instruments. Let's say I was able to copy and paste it together in my DAW to form a loop 3 minutes long or such. Can I then run that back into the Kemper and have the KPA "profile it"?

I recollect that the AXE2 was able to do something like this?

Of special interest to me as I play primarily in cover bands and I've spent huge blocks of time with my PODXTLive and HD500 using Ozone's EQ matching capability to model sounds. If there's a way to do this easily with the Kemper...all the better.

PS...I've placed my order for the KPA lunchbox and it will be here in 6 days!

• The Kemper cannot do Tone Matching, but if you have Ozone and a plugin modeler you can tone match the plugin and then profile it. TBH I also play in a cover band and I never needed to make it so complicate, the KPA is very easy to tweak

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• There are a lot of us here who play covers, amidst other things. And, many former Line 6 users, too, myself included.

You may not need to use Ozone to get a particular sound - you have the advantage of the profiles sounding and feeling like the amps. No "cocked wah" sound to dial out, and no limited dynamic range :) There are plenty of EQ options, as well as being able to change the cabinet. A cabinet change with the Kemper can have a more dramatic effect on a sound than a Line 6 cabinet change.

Rather than making a new profile with Ozone active, you can easily use the EQ matching function to compare the original sound with an existing Kemper rig, and then use one or more instance of the Kemper's Studio EQ to duplicate the EQ curve that is calculated in Ozone.

• Rather than making a new profile with Ozone active, you can easily use the EQ matching function to compare the original sound with an existing Kemper rig, and then use one or more instance of the Kemper's Studio EQ to duplicate the EQ curve that is calculated in Ozone.

Great advice....that's what I was figuring to do...

• Yep Great advice Paults! At least You can use ozone or any other Visual Eq just to check, and can allow you getting the right shape just using KPA's Controls!..You can discover in a better way Your KPA
    Honestly

I'm not an expert in that, but i've tryed ozone free version to compare with the only 'copying Session'.realized by myself.

at some point I figured out that with the resuts of you're efforts..(by Your hear or using Whatever) you can Play on That Song ..But If it is a lil different. or two guitars with basiclly almost Same Eq Output.. mmm it's not so cool.

So Even in that song Youre Sound must be a lil different, unless U've got all the other tracks and U Don't Use the Original guitar Track..... for practise.. You keep all the other instruments and Mute Your part.
    With Best Practise for ex (it was included in some tools' Install CD?..I don't rem.) You can Subtract some part of the original Song.. Mono Stereo.. in Ozone You have the same but with more options I Saw.
    Anyway..
    It's very Difficoult You need the Exact Tone Match .. but it's Fun to try it out.

if your'e gonna play with Youre Bnad libe the most bad thing is that you're not playing With all the Other Instruments EQ Copied!.. So?!??!

if' you're not Going to play That Particular Song.. What are You Coping for?!

:D just for saing

• Is it possible to "profile" the tone of a recorded Song? For example...let's say I was able to isolate a small section of the guitar on a song....no other instruments. Let's say I was able to copy and paste it together in my DAW to form a loop 3 minutes long or such. Can I then run that back into the Kemper and have the KPA "profile it"?

I recollect that the AXE2 was able to do something like this?

Yes it works very well like mentioned above. With the kemper you can put any eq matching plugin in the signal chain and create tone matched profiles from recorded tracks. The Axe fx 2 tone match feature was copied from the Ozone plugin but it didn't turn out as accurate, and you can use Ozone with the Kemper to create profiles.

Here's a forum guide thread link on how to make Kemper profiles with eq tone matching.
    classic metal tones done with EQ matching
    This is one of several ways to do it:
    GUITAR -> KPA -> AMP -> CAB -> MIC -> DAW -> PLUGIN -> KPA Return.

Som great results with matched tracks already uploaded by users.

Dream Theater kemper profiling + eq tone matching A/B comparison, by Ivan91.
    https://soundcloud.com/ivn-91/dream-theater-kemper-eq

Ozzy, Randy Rhoads Crazy Train kemper profiling + ozone tone match, by okstrat.
    https://soundcloud.com/okstrat/kemper-crazy-train

Boston - Peace of mind - backing, kemper profiling + tone match, by okstrat
    https://soundcloud.com/okstrat/peace-of-mind-edit

• curious to what the results would be like using a kemper recorded track sans the cabinet and then taking the curve converting it to an IR and then reimporting using cabmaker?

seems like it would be pretty easy? I'm guessing one disadvantage is it would be tying that guitar/pickup selection to the sound doing it that way, where as the other way it wouldn't?