Posts by gtrplayr85

I primarily play along with songs on my stereo at home. I use the transpose function when I play all the time to play along with songs that are tuned down a half step and I love it. I have it built as a stomp in a few of my profiles so I can just tap a button on my foot controller and go.

Please tell me how to set this up? Is it an "effect" what is it called?

Your interface has combo inputs which are configured to automatically engage a mic preamp when an XLR is plugged in but bypass the mic pre when a 1/4” jack is used. By using XLR to XLR cables you are going through the pre amp which is boosting the already line level signal of the Kemper by an amount normally required to turn a mic level signal into line level. This explains why you need to trim the output of the KPA and the input of the interface.

You need to use XLR to TRS cables for a balanced signal or just a simple 1/4” instrument cable (TS) for an unbalanced signal. Although the Focusrite combo input accepts both TRS and TS I’m not sure if the 1/4” input is balanced or not. If the KPA is relatively close to your interface and you don’t have a lot of electrical/radio interference you should probably be fine with just a regular instrument cable. You can certainly try this in the first instance to see if it helps your level and tonal issues. If it does then investing in a couple of XLR to TRS cables would be a good idea.

I had the very same issue as you have. I bought the XLR to TRS cables as suggested and it fixed it on my UAD apollo twin X.

First thing I do is adjust the Amp volume in a rig so it is at the level I want it with rig volume at 12:00. I balance all my performances that way. Normally takes less than 2 numbers either way if profiles were done professionally. Then I use rig volume to morph lead boosts and maybe add a pinch of gain. I like to see that rig volume knob at 12:00 for "normal" and I can quickly set boosts that way with morph.

How do you do that first step? Are you using a dB meter or relying on your ears only???

And does adding gain to the profile get you sonically to a higher gain profile from that same pack? How close is it?

Just asking, why not just put it in another slot? Then you can have it either way.

Well there are certain Tone junkie profiles packs that have 30 to 40 different profiles. By having one morph into the other, I could store 10 profiles in one bank instead of 5.

No, the lock button should stay active even after switching off and on. The effects aren’t always on by default they are always in the saved state by default. If you know you want them off just turn them off (no need for lock) and resave the rig with them off. They will then still be part of the rig for future use if required but will always be off unless you turn them on. Remember that the Profile is the Stack Section only. The Rig is everything n the signal path. So if a Rig has a chorus turned on when it is saved the KPA assumes the user wants the chorus turned on.

If it is for recording I would set the output to DAW as Stack rather than Master. The guarantees to bypass everything after the amp.

DAW???I can't say I've noticed that option there before...that option is under stack?

I am really liking the idea of the morph option...however I'm not a huge effects guy so that eliminates alot of options.

What I am looking to do is morph from say a clean fender twin sound to a different fender twin profile that is turned up a bit with a bit more drive. Is this doable? Can I morph from one profile to another or does the drive have to come from an effect?

Tried selecting the wah>volume with no luck...must be doing it wrong

I believe I have it set as your last example and in the output selection. I didn't have it locked which it defaulted to input which I did not like. I like having the option of cleaning up the signal with my guitar volume and just turning down the entire output with the EP.

I watched the Kemper video. I did what they explain, enter the input menu, adjust the Clean Sens and Distortion Sens , then hit the lock button, in order to apply the setup to all the rigs. Then, all my other rigs kept their own input setup, nothing's changed !!

Can you please post a link of this video? I'm fighting this same battle at the moment.

at the moment, I have my stage running into my interface but it seems I'm always fiddling around with the volume to match the volume on my computer if im playing with a backing track on my computer or learning something on youtube

Think of it like a real amp. If you adjust the volume in front of the amp it will change the amp’s sound (like a boost pedal “pushing” and amp and adding distortion and possibly tonal characteristics). If you adjust it after than amp it will just make things louder.

Amp volume and Rig volume do exactly the same thing UNLESS there is an effect downstream that is volume sensitive (compressor/overdrive etc but not delay/reverb/modulation). Therefore, I would leave Amp Volume at 0 and use Rig Volume in the vast majority of cases as it is more visible and accessible (you don’t need you to go into the amp block).

Master volume affects everything together so is only relevant for sending the right level to FOH/DAW etc and Monitor volume is only relevant to the monitor output so generally your stage volume. Both of these controls are instant (adjust on the fly to suit circumstances) rather than save and forget as part of a rig.

Great explanation. What throws me off though is the link volume to the main volume options. Also I thought the volume pedal would be adjusting the master volume option on the stage but the light does not indicate that and stayed the same at half way.

has anyone come across a banjo-esque tyle of profile? I'm trying to record a 2 part electric/ banjo part and don't want to have to buy a banjo just for that.

Hey Folks,

Just wondering what is the optimal volume settings in your kemper? There are so many different places that can affect the volume that I dont know where to start. I have a mission EP that I use as a volume pedal...but what should the internal settings in the Kemper be set to for optimal sound and performance so to speak? Any suggestions?

Hi Folks,

I was gifted a second expression pedal for my kemper set up to go along with my mission one I already had (which is currently set up for Volume...although it doesn't control rig volume or master volume) and the switch activates my reverb. I dont use many effects but I do use reverb, delay, chorus...but I'm very used to physical pedals which I *think* I'm gonna use a traditional pedal board set up.

Which brings me to this question...what are some good ideas to set up my 2 expression pedals as? What does everybody have their exp. Pedals set up as?

hey guys,

I had a few issues when my kemper was connected last week and did a master reset and it fixed the problem.

Now I want to connect my kemper to my imac and UAD apollo twin X and start recording. Not interested in s/pdif so analog it is. What is the most effective way to connect it into the interface?

I have XLR to XLR cables as it is. Just run an XLR to the back of the UAD in the line 1 port?

I'm a complete newbie to all of this.