Posts by Boardn14

Been playing thru the Stage today using Brit profiles. I think that's the guys name. Got them from a good friend.

Played thru my friends good PA on his studio. Also thru two of my amps, turning can Sims off and running into my cabs.

So far I can't get it how I'd like it. It feels like I'm playing a recording of an amp instead of actually playing am amp. I come from a world of cranking up my tube amps and feeling like I'm one with thr amp, speakers and cab.

Almost like I am playing the amp, not just the guitar.

Right now I feel like I'm not playing an amp but playing along with a recording. Hard to explain what I'm feeling.

I know a lot of guys have modeling and profiling rigs but still have their tube rigs and cabs. Maybe that will be me.

I don't think anything could ever replace the real thing.but this is a fun tool to have!

I don't know if I could gig with it, at least not yet because I can't quite connect to it like my tube amps. At least not yet!

Maybe I'll get there.

Most full range speakers on the market are powered but tend to come with unto 1000w so don't worry about needing a 600w power amp for full range. The real advantage of the power head is that you can plug straight into a regular guitar cab if needed. As others have pointed out, I always try and avoid this and very rarely play anywhere that doesn't put the guitar through the FOH PA. It gives much more control and generally better overall mix than running off back line (especially if running a 412 on stage - those beasts are the work of the devil and should be outlawed ^^).

The Kemper powered cab I saw is only 200w.

I don't mind using a 412.

I still think nothing sounds as fat and smooth.

And I used to gig modeling amps and full range speakers for years.

I noticed a live tonal improvement that was noticable when I went back to tubes.

This is my chance to dive back out of the tube world.

But I did talk to the guitarist of VH Nation. Great guy and knew his stuff. Said he has the full range setup and has run direct but disnt like it as much as using his 412.

So side note...

Other than Kemper, the Revv Generator Mk III was my other option. It's cool because it's a tube head but has most features and options I'd need no matter what, plus can be run without a cab, direct to PA, etc. Lots of options all in a tube head package.

I think that is cool.

That said, Kemper opens me up to more tones, effects and options.

The powered head is a great format for me. If I was a touring player I'd use a power rack, since power head is a bit awkward to move around. Where can you still show up with a 4x12 cab these days?

I recommend a power conditioner no matter what you decide.

Every place we play often either have a 412 or two or you bring what you like.

Do it all the time.

So, I didn't get the Stage yet as I have time to consider the powered head. A friend is selling one. If I got this, it would be more money and would need the floor controller.

He recommended the Fractal FM9 for authentic tone and feel but much more difficult to use and not user friendly.

Side note...

I saw Van Halen Nation play recently. Guitarist is so good, uses a Kemper powered head, some external pedals and a nice Marshall Jubilee 412 cab.

His sound is so good but no idea how his rig feels. I've obviously never played it, just heard him live.

I hear you but a lot of places we play have horrible PAs. Horrible.

Always sound better using stage vhme in those cases.

Many clubs bear us are really retro. They wants bands to bring 412 cabs and crank up, etc. We even have bands called Old School with double 412 cabs, etc.

It's a mix. I'd like both options.

I will say that I see a lot of local bands play like this, 412 or 212 on stage and no PA except vocals and am impressed with sound.

I also can't afford another cab for a year or so. I just finished paying off my Bogner 412.

I'm not saying I won't get a full range speaker system one day. I like having options and my tube amps and cabs are special to me so they will not go anywhere. That said it would be cool having a little good sounding Kemper rig.

Does anyone make a big sounding full range speaker cab? Again, most places we play only vocals go thru the PA. Guitars and bass are often stage volume only, hence my cab.

I have two 212 cabs and two 412 cabs. The 212 cabs I can run semi open.

I also had a chance to get a Revv Generator Mk III which is a very versatile amp with 4 channels, midi, presets, and a direct cab simulator. Cool amp.

Problem is that most full range speakers are only 112 or 212, I only use 412 cabs.

A big reason why I'd still use my cabs that I just spend a ton for.

Problem with rack is ide need a power amp, power conditioner and rack case. More garbage to buy.

Either way I'll be giving my Bogner 412 and tube power amp.

Also still looking at the Kemper FM9 as another one to grab eventually.

I hate how small 112 and 212 cabs sound.

I've tried so many small cabs and always come back to my slant 412.

None of the places we have played run guitars thru the PA, only vocals.

Whatever I produce on stage is it.

Ok so you guys who love the Stage and find it gives you the real tube feel...

Does the powered head provide the same?

It may be the ones stop solution for me.

Nice thing about the Stage I'm getting is that it gives me a chance to give this setup a try. If I end up loving it, I can move to the powered head.

I have never found the Kemper to be lacking in real tube amp feel. I played Mesa’s for 30+ Years before going Kemper and the reason I chose Kemper over any of the other great alternatives was because it felt most like the real deal and responded best to the guita”s volume knob for cleaning up the sound.

So you use the Stage?

I have the Stage on the way and did play one.

I have tube power amps and guitar cabs.

I can't afford to replace all my amps and cabs as I've invested a lot. Maybe one day.

Curious if any specific tube amps for best if you all found that!?

My current situation is tube amp and cab, so I'll work with it for now.

Thanks guys...

For now I'll be using the Kemper Stage with a tube power amp and my guitar cabs.

Some day I can do thr full range thing.

I have a lot invested in these cabs and tube amps so trying to make use of them.

I tests fit out and with good profiles, the feel is like the real deal.

I actually find the profiles easier to play than a real amp. Almost like there is some compression happening. I have a nerve disorder and that helps me with leads!

Do you guys think we'll see a new Kemper hardware and software soon. I know this is an old design.

I checked out a Fractal FM9 but found it harder to dial in and use. I prefer intuitive.

Have some of you done side by sides with Fractal?

Rich

The funny thing is that in most comparisons I have seen the QC and Helix sounded too bright and the Kemper sounded warmer and smoother. You can make any of them sound great.

Another comment I hear is that profiles feel more like you are playing a recording of an amp......like a perfect recording.

I was watching a video of Alter Bridge and Shine Down. Not a Shine Down fan but thr guitars it who used Fracal Audio said he missed tubes and went back to tube amps and now his Fractal is hardly in use.

I don't see that happening as much with Kwmper. Guys seem to stay with it.

this. Almost always out of context. Here’s a solo I did with mine. Not promo just for interest.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Very nice! What amp profile was this? Kemper direct or tubes involved? Awesome!

^ Stuff like this is annoying and have no bearing in real world applications. They generate eyeballs and income. That’s it.

I can show you a Profile so bright, it’ll take your head off just above your eyebrows.

I can also show you one of the same amp so dark you’d think your Telecaster was a hollow-body Jazz box.

Comparisons like this are less than meaningless.

Thanks! Good to know.

This is the stuff that scares me! Many demos and reviews I hear talk about the Kemper being rhe brightest and listen to this demo.

I like darker tones by far.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I started with a Studio .22 back in the 80’s then added a V-Twin Pedal. Next I added a Rev G 2 channel Dual Rectifier and a pair of 1x12 Thiel Ported EVM12L cabinets. Then a Mark V:25 and finally i got a Triaxis and 2:ninety stereo power amp and a Rectifier 2x12 Horizontal cab which I rewired for Mono/Stereo us. I still have them all except the V-Twin pedal but use the Kemper instead of any of them 99.99999999999% of the time. Every so often I bring them out and fire them up then realise my Kemper Powered Head is just as good an WAY less hassle so I pack them up in their flight cases again.

Wow, so you recommend the powered head!

I was getting the Stage unit to use with a tube amp. Sometimes I miss my Mark V and a few other Mesa amps I've had. With the Kemper into my tube power amp, I should be able to get all those tones I love and the feel!

Going to get the Mission Engineering expression pedal as well.

Thanks!