Posts by Virtuoso

Quote from ckemper

If you have a listening situation like that, an A/B comparison is impossible by definition.

As I said in my first post... :rolleyes:

I understand that it would not give a perfect A/B comparison as the Kemper is profiling what the mic hears, not necessarily what we hear from the amp in the room, but it would make the workflow easier for those of us profiling at home rather than in a studio. :)

At the moment the workflow for those of us monitoring in the same room as the reference amp is needlessly awkward and the fix is trivially simple to implement.

I don't know why you are being so stubborn on this issue - are you saying the product is only intended for people with an isolation cab or a soundproof studio? That rules out a very large enthusiast market. ?(

I'll try rolling back to 1.0.6 and see if the profiles I created yesterday work properly. If they don't I hope someone from Kemper can get back to me with a temporary fix. :S

Here's what I have lined up at the moment. (Tone King Metropolitan, Carr Mercury and Magnatone arrive tomorrow).

[Blocked Image: http://www.virtuosopacific.com/guitars/amps.jpg]

UPDATE: Rolled the firmware back to 1.0.6. The Badger 18 profiles I created under 1.0.7 are still erratic but the new Carr Rambler ones I just did seem to be working ok so far.

Is there any information on what's causing this issue? I don't think it is happening with the factory profiles, but on every single profile I have created so far, at least 50% of the time the profiles are loading with the wrong gain and output levels. Is it:-

a) The KPA is generating corrupt profiles
    b) Something in the naming is causing the profiles to load incorrectly
    c) A bug in the current beta 1.0.7 firmware

I hope it's not a) - I have a mammoth profiling session planned for this weekend with some really good boutique amps* and mics, but I feel like pulling the plug at the moment. I don't want to waste my time if the profiles aren't going to be reliable.

If it's b), what can I do differently?

If it's c), can I roll back to an earlier firmware version and fix the issue? I only have access to the mics this weekend so it would be a real bummer if I can't go ahead. ;(

(*Amps; Tone King, Two Rock, 65 Amps, Suhr, 3 Carrs, Magnatone - Mics; Neumann U87, AKG C414, Shure KSM44, a few others)

I would definitely NOT suggest muting the reference amp when you listen to the Kemper profile.

Quote from ckemper

Muting the amp would make an A/B comparisin simply impossible. Even if the amp is in the next room. No option.

But how can you hear the Kemper profile if it's being drowned out by the reference amp? :wacko: My Genelec monitors are pretty good, but they can't compete with a cranked 50W amp! Surely in a home situation, NOT muting the reference amp (and alternately the Kemper amp) makes a comparison impossible? ?(

Having to stop playing and then wander across the room to mess with cables also kills the immediacy of the A/B comparison. It would be so much easier if Kemper would give us an automatic mute option so home users can do an immediate comparison without losing the flow of playing. It doesn't need to be the default and studio users won't ever want to use it, but it would be nice just to have the option for those of us without soundproof booths in our homes. ;)

In an ideal world, we would all have sound proof booths so that we are only comparing the miked sound from the reference amp with the Kemper profile, with no bleed from the amp itself. :thumbup:

I suspect many of us are in the less-than-ideal position where we are monitoring in the same room as the miked up amp. When trying to A/B the amp against the profile, I am currently having to do this:

Switch to Kemper Amp
    Walk across room and unplug the cable from the reference amp input
    Play guitar
    Switch to Reference Amp
    Walk across room and plug the amp cable back in
    Walk back and mute Kemper outputs on the mixer
    Play guitar
    Repeat from the top

8|

It would make life easier if we had the option on the KPA to just mute the Direct Out when listening to the Kemper profile and the Master Outs when listening to the reference amp. I understand that it would not give a perfect A/B comparison as the Kemper is profiling what the mic hears, not necessarily what we hear from the amp in the room, but it would make the workflow easier for those of us profiling at home rather than in a studio. :)

I have the exact same problem - it's been driving me mad all evening. :cursing:

I created a clean and a dirty profile of the same amp. When I load the dirty profile it is always correct - if if then click the left Rig button to switch to the clean profile, the gain is wrongly set halfway up and the sound is distorted. If I turn the gain down, the output level is higher than it should be and the sound is still somewhat distorted. If I then load a completely different profile and then go back to the clean profile, it now loads correctly with the gain all the way down. :wacko:

It may be user error - this is my first day with the KPA - but it seems screwy?

(I'm on the current beta 1.0.7 firmware)

This can't come soon enough. I just created my first two profiles and it took longer to enter all the data than to do the actual profiling!!

Please support USB keyboards so people are encouraged to fill in all the metadata - it will make searching so much easier further down the road when there are tens of thousands of profiles! 8|

Finally my Kemper arrived today! :D

I'm going to be spending the weekend profiling the following amps:-

Two Rock Studio Pro 35
    Suhr Badger 18
    Carr Raleigh
    Carr Rambler
    Tone King Metropolitan
    65 Amps Tupelo

I have access to some killer mics as well (Neumann/AKG etc) so I'm hoping for really good results! :thumbup:

I'd better go read the manual...

Andy

It looks like I'm in the minority here wanting USB audio. ?(

I'll try to explain why this is an important omission for me. I have an Apogee Duet and a Mackie Onyx 1220i. Neither has SPDIF and both only have stereo outputs. Up to now they have been all I need - the sound quality of the Apogee is fine and most of my devices (keyboards mostly) are connected over USB or Firewire.

To do reamping with the Kemper, I would have to reorganise my mix to send the dry guitar track out of the L output of my interface while routing the rest of the mix in mono to the R output, which means a lot of hassle and recabling every time I want to reamp a guitar track.

With the Eleven Rack it takes just a couple of clicks and no recabling required since the audio goes over USB at whatever frequency you need. I don't really want to have to buy another interface just for this one very simple function, nor do I want to be tied to 44.1KHz if I'm trying to stay digital.

I hope there's a Kemper 'TI' version further down the road with the same kind of functionality as the Virus TI.

USB audio is not planned

Very disappointing. I cancelled my pre-order today. :thumbdown:

I wish you would reconsider this - the Eleven Rack is a good model of DAW integration and I expected with the history of the Virus TI that you would be ahead of the curve in this regard.

Catch 22 :rolleyes: - I can't post this in the Feature Request forum because I'm not an owner and I'm not an owner because the Kemper doesn't have one critical feature that I need, which is:-

USB Audio

Why? Reamping. This is a breeze on the Eleven Rack and I am gutted that it is not possible on the Kemper. I am a long time Virus Ti owner and was expecting the same excellent level of DAW integration with the Kemper Amp. I would like the Kemper to output a dry track at the same time as the wet tracks and then be able to reamp that dry track further down the road without any need for recabling. It should also be able to support 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96KHz as a minimum.

Will this ever be possible with the current hardware through a firmware update, or should I just cross it off the list?