Posts by Tritium

Hello Kemper technicians and employees. Here is a Feature Request that hopefully might be implemented with next Firmware update, or Rig Manager Software update...

This is a copy of a post I made in the "Rig Manager - Librarian Software" sub forum. A couple of members encouraged me to ask this formally, as a Feature Request:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
    New Kemper Power Rack owner here.

I apologize in advance if this subject question has been asked and answered on other threads. I did do a search, both on the Kemper User Forum, as well as on Google, but couldn't find anything on this topic.

I have also read the all the manuals, including the Rig Manager user manual that is available within the program, itself. I couldn't find an answer to this question

Anyways, I was having some difficulty in getting a brand new SanDisk USB 3.0 Flash drive to work on both my KPA, as well as my Windows 7 Laptop. Even though the KPA formatted the drive, my laptop refused to recognize the Flash drive...and believe me, I tried everything. Eventually, I found an older, legacy USB 2.0 Flash Drive that I had lying around, and I was able to get it formatted on the KPA, and my laptop was able to read the drive. I also made a backup of the KPA on the flash drive, and will be installing the lastest firmware (3.02) later this afternoon.

However, with all the trouble I had with the USB Flash drive, and concern for future compatibility problems if this older Flash drive gives up the ghost, I was wondering...
    Is there is any way to do backups, restores, as well as updating the KPA Firmware directly using Rig Manager and the USB-A to USB-B cable / interface between my laptop and the KPA?

I have a feeling the answer is no, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies, help and suggestions.

Cheers,
    John

---------------------------------------------------------------

You can also make a copy of an empty stompbox and paste this in the stompbox you want to remove.

[Blocked Image: http://innerconfidence.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/17tblgoitiqv4jpg.jpg]

Lol. That is a rather "creative" solution to the problem. Again, not something that I would have thought of...unless it was after a couple of pints of IPA. :D

Good stuff, WybZ. Just another example of how, on the KPA, there often multiple ways to accomplish a given task.

Press and hold the stomps button. Turn the Type knob all the way countercklockwise until you hit the blank entry. Done.

LOL. As intuitive as the KPA User Interface is...there are still little things like this that had me completely stumped. I was trying to do the exact same thing as the the OP. I must have spent a half hour trying to clear the "B" stompbox slot on a particular rig. Obviously, it was easy to turn off the effect. But I wanted to completely clear the "B" slot so there was nothing in it. Anyways, I couldn't figure it out. By the way, I couldn't find such instructions in the Basic or Reference manuals.

Thanks to GOOGLE, I found this thread. Of course, after you explained it, HELL-G, it is ridiculously simple, in hindsight. Nevertheless...if you didn't already know this, it isn't immediately apparent (at least to me), that this was the way to clear the slot entry.

But, this is also one of the great things about the KPA...there is always something new to learn and discover. The User Interface is quite wonderful, and powerful. For the most part, it is very intuitive, and welcoming to a new owner (me). This is especially the case if you have done your basic due diligence, and read the manuals beforehand. However, there have been a few occasions where I have had to go scrambling for my computer to search these forums (or the wiKPA site), in order to figure out how to do something that is not explicitly obvious, nor explained in the manuals. As is usually the case, the answer typically ends up being something that has me doing an epic <face-palm>. :D

No worries. This keeps me on my toes. :thumbup:

Thank you Raoul, Ingolf, nEVH5150, and Viabcroce for your replies.

However, I still remain a bit perplexed as to the purpose of this feature, given Raoul's description below:

Snap shots are for different variations of a profile and there is no single button command to allow you to compare the snapshots. IMO i cant see what the difference is from just storing the edited profile with a different name. if for example you have 8 snapshots of the same profile you would have to name them differently anyway to be able to know which one was which.? or am i missing something??

Raoul, correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you agree with me regarding the utility of this feature. What I was hoping for, was that there was a simple way to compare a tweaked profile, the very instant you have adjusted a parameter (for instance, changing the delay time and mix), with the original Rig. In other words, this is still while you are in the process of tweaking/modifying a Rig...not after you have finished and Stored it. My Rocktron Xpression multi-effects rack unit has this feature.

As you said, Raoul...if I understand the "Snapshot" feature correctly, it seems to me to be no different than editing a Rig and saving it as a new name. In fact, it sounds like I would need to make a Snapshot of my edited Rig as well as a Snapshot of the original, unmodified Rig, in order for them to be displayed in the same browse pool of the Snapshot display screen. Otherwise, in order to make an A/B comparison, I would have to make multiple button presses on the KPA panel to go back and forth between the Snapshot (in Snapshot menu/display) and the original unmodified Rig, which would be located back in the main Rigs menu. Again, am I missing something here?

By the way, I am not complaining, per se. I am more scratching my head. If a one-step A/B compare is not possible, then it is not possible. I just want to make sure I am not missing something obvious and simple.

Further to nEVH5150's question...I also read the Reference manual concerning the "Snapshot" function, and I am still a bit unclear as to the purpose of this feature.

Is it so that you can quickly compare a modification you made to Rig (say you changed the reverb type and level), with the original, unmodified Rig. I mean, is this essentially an A/B comparison mode? If that is the case, once you have made a "snapshot" of a tweaked rig, and it is now stored in the "Browse Snapshots" display in the Rig Menu, how do you quickly flip back and forth between the original Rig and the modified (snapshot). I am not in front of my KPA at the moment. However, I assume that once you select a snapshot, it expands into focus on the display. So then, how do you toggle back and forth between the original rig (which is not in the snapshot list), and the snapshot. I am sure it is something simple, but I didn't see anything to explain this in the manual.

If I am mistaken about the function/purpose of the snapshot feature...then I still have the same question (not to hijack the thread). That is to say, is there a single button command that allows you to compare and switch back and forth between a rig that you have tweaked, with the original, unmodified version?

Yeah, the naming is a little different for the 3.0 Merged Pack profiles. I submitted the files to Kemper with the real amp names and they came up with the interesting names for the rigs in those packs. Around the time of my Pack 3 release I decided to rename my existing and new rigs to avoid copyright issues and such and my interesting names didn't exactly match up with Kemper's interesting names. I wasn't sure what they were going to name them when I came up with mine. Yeah, the MP is short for JMP. It's kinda tricky coming up with names that won't infringe on manufacturer's copyrights but still recognizable and such. If you guys ever have an issue deciphering them, just let me know and I'll be glad to help. I also include that info in the info sheet pdf's with the rig packs I sell.

As far as new amp profiles… I have enough to make two packs at this point. I think I may split them up into a vintage pack and a modern pack. Here are the contenders: Bogner Helios, Friedman Dirty Shirley and Pink Taco, Swart Space Tone, Dr. Z Rx, Suhr Hedgehog, Supro Dual Tone, Vox Night Train, '65 Vox AC50, '65 Champ, '62 Deluxe, Silvertone Twin Twelve, '58 Tweed Deluxe, Roland Jazz Chorus, '68 Selmer Treble'n'Bass, Music Man HD120, Polytone Mini Brute. I've still got a couple of items on my wish list for this pack and I'll probably try to snag a couple more this week, but that's what I'm working with so far.

Thanks for your reply, Michael.

Hello,
    New Kemper Power Rack owner here.

I apologize in advance if this subject question has been asked and answered on other threads. I did do a search, both on the Kemper User Forum, as well as on Google, but couldn't find anything on this topic.

I have also read the all the manuals, including the Rig Manager user manual that is available within the program, itself. I couldn't find an answer to this question

Anyways, I was having some difficulty in getting a brand new SanDisk USB 3.0 Flash drive to work on both my KPA, as well as my Windows 7 Laptop. Even though the KPA formatted the drive, my laptop refused to recognize the Flash drive...and believe me, I tried everything. Eventually, I found an older, legacy USB 2.0 Flash Drive that I had lying around, and I was able to get it formatted on the KPA, and my laptop was able to read the drive. I also made a backup of the KPA on the flash drive, and will be installing the lastest firmware (3.02) later this afternoon.

However, with all the trouble I had with the USB Flash drive, and concern for future compatibility problems if this older Flash drive gives up the ghost, I was wondering...
    Is there is any way to do backups, restores, as well as updating the KPA Firmware directly using Rig Manager and the USB-A to USB-B cable / interface between my laptop and the KPA?

I have a feeling the answer is no, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies, help and suggestions.

Cheers,
    John

A question for Michael Britt...

Michael, I notice that the naming conventions you use on the merged profiles that you have uploaded to the Rig Exchange are different than those that are included in the factory profiles (firmware 3.0). I am speaking of the actual Amplifier names, not the "Rig" names.

For example:

Factory RIG:
    Rig Name = MB OTS OD1
    Amplifier = Ceriatone Overtone

Rig Exchange RIG:
    Rig Name = MB OTS OD1*
    Amplifier = Cereal Ton OTS

Is this to avoid some type of filename conflict with the corresponding factory profile in the KPA, if one were to import the Rig Exchange version?

It only occurred to me to ask the question, because the unconventional naming of the amplifier would prevent it from coming up in a Search. In other words, if I were to search Rig Exchange (or Rig Manager) for "Ceriatone"...it will miss your merged profiles due to your different naming convention of "Cereal Ton". That, plus the cheeky name is confusing. :D

I mean, I guessed (correctly) that the "Cereal Ton" must be a Ceriatone. However, I got stumped on your "Mars MP", lol. I kind of guessed the "Mars" was Marshall...but then I was trying to figure out the "MP" portion. "Master Plexi"?? No. "Master volume Plexi"?? maybe. "Merged Profile"?? Again, maybe. But then I cross-checked with the Factory Rig name, and saw that it was a Marshall JMP50. And that is when my head exploded, just like that guy in the Cronenberg film "Scanners". 8)

Thanks everyone for the welcome and well wishes.

I just went through a protracted struggle in trying to get a brand spanking new Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash drive (16 GB) to work with the KPA and my Windows 7 PC. I have previously read through quite a few threads (here, and elsewhere on the Web) in which similar USB flash drive problems have been described. So, I was hoping I would dodge this bullet, and everything would go smoothly with formatting the new drive, in order to back-up and install 3.02 firmware.

Unfortunately...this bullet was not dodged, and instead hit me right in the ass.

At first, I thought it was the KPA. I was careful to follow instructions to the letter. The new drive literally went straight from it's packaging, into the USB of the KPA. However, the Kemper's display screen did not indicate or give me any prompt that the drive was recognized, or that formatting had occurred. I repeated multiple times, including re-booting the KPA...nothing.

So, I took out the USB Flash drive, and put it into my Windows 7 laptop. I couldn't get the computer to recognize the drive. Went to Device Manager, and it was showing up under "Other Devices"...not as it should have, under "Disc Drives". I must have spent an hour trying different methods to force my Win 7 laptop to successfully recognize the Flash drive. I know my way around a computer. Nothing worked. I was now thinking it was a bad/faulty Flash drive. So, just to double-check, I dusted off an older Win XP laptop I had lying around, tried the Flash drive with it. To my surprise, not only was the drive recognized, it contained the three folders that the KPA generated. So, the KPA did in fact successfully recognize and format the drive...it just didn't give me any indication it had.

So, back I go to my main (Win 7) laptop, and waste another couple of hours trying to trouble-shoot and get the drive working on it. Again, no success. Now I am pissed, because I don't want to use the older Win XP laptop, as it is slow as hell and has a hard drive that is about to give up the ghost. Then, I remembered I had an older 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash drive stashed away somewhere. After turning my place inside out, I finally found it. I plugged it into the Win 7 laptop, and it was recognized immediately. So, I erased everything on the drive, reformatted it just to be certain...and plugged it into the KPA. LED on the Flash drive was flashing (good), but still no acknowledgment or prompt on the KPA display that anything momentous had happened, LOL. However, I did see that the main menu/display now had Soft Button options, one of which was for "External Drive". <X

So, in a flash of utter brilliance on my part <sarcasm>, I hit that sucker, and sure enough I get a new menu giving me the option to Format the drive. Boom. Done Deal.

So, long story short...I now have a good USB Flash drive that has been formatted by the KPA, and can be read and opened on my Win 7 laptop. Whew! <wipes sweat from brow>. Feeling mighty pleased with myself, I promptly made a backup of the KPA, and installed the file on my laptop. Now, feeling completely exhausted, I am going to wait to actually upgrade the firmware until tomorrow.
    :P:P:thumbup:

P.S. -- I am still frustrated that I bought a brand new SanDisk Flash drive that works fine on an older, legacy Win XP laptop, but refuses to play nicely with my main Win 7 laptop. Which means, for my purposes, it makes for a rather expensive paper-weight...and it doesn't even hold down paper all that well.

Content Warning -- May contain effusive praise, consistent with "Honeymoon" syndrome.

Hello fellow Kemperites! I can finally say that, now. :thumbup:

I was able to power-up my KPA for the first time, this afternoon, even though it arrived this past Friday.

Allow me to cut to the chase, because I know you are all busy people..................WOW!!!!!

After a few initial start-up hiccups (my fault), mainly in getting myself accustomed to the UI, I entered the Browse mode and searched out a Marshall Super Lead setting to get me started. I have a XiTone passive 1x12 Cab on order, but in the meanwhile, I am using the Monitor Out (with Power Amp turned off) into a Tech 21 Power Engine 60. The factory installed "TAF- Mars SL Mod" rig includes a 4x12 Greenback cab as part of the profile. At first, it sounded a bit muddy through the Tech 21 PE, so I turned off the Cab section. BAM!! Immediately, I had a fantastic basic tone that jumped out of the PE60. It was clear, present, and had a bell like mid-range that I prefer for technical solo / lead style. I dialed down a bit on the profile's amp gain, and added the Green Scream stomp in front, which is exactly how I would set up a tube-based amp rig.

I prefer to have an amp set for just a bit of natural break up (light crunch), and then push it over the edge using a good OD stompbox. Sure enough, the KPA responded exactly as I would expect from an equivalent boosted OD ==> Plexi set-up.

Next, I added a slap-back analog delay, and a bit of hall reverb. KABOOM!! The KPA was singing. Mind you, I haven't spent any time yet, auditioning various profiles. I knew what base tone I wanted to start my KPA experience with, and went straight to it. Furthermore, this was my absolute virgin attempt at tweaking a pre-existing profile.
    Bottom line, after only few minutes with the KPA, I had a killer tone that was so inspiring...I lost 4+ hours of time jamming away, before I even realized it had passed. Yes, I am a very happy guitarist at the moment. Can't wait to do some real profile surfing, tomorrow.

Everyone have a great night.

Cheers,
    John

EDIT -- Woops, I mean't to post this in the "Profiler Related Discussions" sub-forum. If any Moderator/Administrator happens to see this, and can move this thread over to the appropriate sub-forum, that would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for cluttering up this section.

Hi folks,

Brand new Kemper owner, here (Power Rack).

I apologize in advance if this is a crushingly stupid question...

I have to presume that every uploader of free profiles, on the Rig Exchange, is on the honor system. I mean, there is no way to verify that what they have profiled, is actually the real amp model/manufacturer that they say it is, in terms of the data tags and info. they fill out. Same goes with the cabs and mics.

So, at the end of the day, does it all boil down to the reputation and "name" that the individual profiler has earned, here, on the forum and Kemper website?

Thanks for the info, and Subscribed.

Also, for me, this ended up being perfect timing.

My new Power Rack arrived Friday afternoon. Unfortunately, I had a bunch of other stuff going on over the weekend, and the KPA had to sit in it's box.

However, today is the day I get to first fire it up. Just got back from Staples, because I needed to grab a couple of fresh 8 GB Flash drives.

I just unboxed the KPA, made some coffee, and am currently re-reading the Basic Manual. Getting ready to format the USB. I decided I am going to load the latest firmware (if it isn't already current) before I even plug my guitar in for the first time. LOL, I guess I am just savoring the moment, and enjoying that new car smell.

By the way, kudos to Sweetwater for their packaging. It was double-boxed, and the KPA box was nestled within a pillow of heavy duty air bags. I think it would have thwarted even the most determined efforts by Fed Ex's elite hooligan squad. :P

One more question for you experienced KPA users...

I have already searched, but could not find exactly what I am about to ask. Allow me to preface my question by advising that I have already done my due diligence, and have studied, in-depth, the KPA Basic and Reference Manuals, as well as hours upon hours reading through the wiKPA wiki site.

Question --
    Is there any single document which provides a step-by-step check list and itemized "things to do" upon initial powering up of my new Power Rack. I have been putting together some hand-written notes, with items such as:
    a) Have a new USB flash drive ready and available to format and use as storage, transfer and backup media.
    b) Download all latest OS updates (firmware) and related programs (e.g. Rig Manager).
    c) Determine the new unit's current firmware, and upgrade/update as necessary.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

But I feel like I may have missed or have overlooked so important items and/or preparation work.

So, do any of you know if there is a comprehensive flow-chart / check list that lists and itemizes all the necessary steps that should be taken before and during the first boot-up. Again, I know much of this is in the Basic and Reference Manuals, but a lot of the info. is scattered across various sections of the manuals...while other important "things to do" may not be listed, at all.

Again, just curious if there is a single, comprehensive document that is not just a "Quick-Start" Guide, but includes many of the recommendations compiled on the wiKPA site as well as tips that have been shared here on the KPA forum?

P.S. -- Friday can't get here soon enough! :thumbup:

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    John

Okay, thanks Paul, Zappledan. Zapman, and all.

This is weird, even the latest Reference Manual (3.0) explicitly instructs that the "kaos.bin" file is to be copied to the Root directory, in order to upgrade firmware:

------------------------------------

Firmware Updates
    Please perform the following simple steps to update your Profiler to a newer firmware:
     You will need to use an empty USB stick in order to transfer the files from your Mac or PC to the Profiler for the first
    time. When you connect a USB stick for the first time, the Profiler will format it to ensure maximum reliability. Please
    be aware that formatting a USB stick will delete all the data on it! A USB stick that has been formatted by the Profiler
    will contain the folders “ Backups ” , OS update ” , and "Shared".
     The next step is to download the latest firmware. Updates are free of charge and can be downloaded from the
    following URL:
    http://www.kemperamps.com/start/
     Expand the downloaded .zip archive. Always check out the ReadMe document included in the download package for
    important hints upfront. The Addendum manual contains useful information related to major new features and
    organized by firmware revision.
     Search for the update file called “ kaos.bin ” in the archive. Copy this file into the root directory on the pre-formatted
    USB stick using your Mac or PC. The root directory is the first, or top-most, directory in the hierarchy.
     Next, unmount the USB stick from your computer and plug it into the up and running Profiler. Follow the on screen
    instructions which will appear after a couple of seconds.
    ------------------------------------

However, per Paul's latest post, I am going to presume that the instructions/addenda included in the latest firmware download must take precedence (unless they made a mistake). In any case, here is how I will proceed...

1) Format new USB drive by connecting it to KPA. The formatting process will also add 3 folders to the USB drive, on of them being named "OS Update".
    2) Remove USB and connect it to my computer.
    3) Download and copy the latest firmware (kaos.bin) to the OS Update folder on the USB drive
    3) Plug USB stick back into KPA, and hope that I receive automatic prompt to update/upgrade firmware.

-- If this does not work --

4) Cut "kaos.bin" file from OS Update folder, and copy/paste it to the Root directory of USB drive, and repeat step #3.

Thanks again, to all, for your help.