Posts by bigHF

Provided RM backup has no serious flaw or hick-ups, using the built-in backup/restore feature comes with a few advantages:

Everything ends up in one file.
    The file automatically has a meaningful and useful name (Date Time - Owner.rmbackup).
    It can easily be included in your system backup (Time machine, True Image, ...)
    You can keep as many versions as you like in one "handy" place.
    You do not have to interact with the file system.

You do have to trust the Kemper software team though. ;) I do. if you don't, then copying the folder structure manually is probably your best chance at keeping your RM's data safe.

Never forget to do the occasional restore!
    Believing everything is backed up is often very different from actually having everything backed up properly.

Bottom line:
    Backing up the Kemper will save all data, that is stored and contained on the Profiler, backing up Rig Manager will save all data that is saved in the RM database.

@skoczy Yes it has, but it is optical..

Here Günther explains, how he is using it
    Kemper spdif in uad apollo twin ?

@db9091 i quote from your opening post: "... Digital with Kemper has no problems .."
    How did you connect it? with an converter? Which one do you use?

I like the Twin, but it has a few disadvantages that made it sit on desk without being used for the most part.

My main beef is the missing "loopback" function in the mixer. My main audio interface was/is the RME Fireface. It's mixing software has a loopback function/switch that allows you to assign the system audio to an input channel on the mixer. With that I can play to a backing track and record both - my guitar and the loopbacked track - directly into Quicktime or even Skype - which is very nice for quick stuff or education.

I do like UA's "studio" plug-ins a lot: They have awesome room and tape-echo simulations, also some of the pre-amps are very good. But most of the plug-ins use up the DSP of the Apollo quickly.

I also had the idea of using the amp plug-ins when I am on vacation or from my other computer, but I have to say that the guitar sims fall way behind Kemper - at least as my skills and tweaking knowledge is concerned.

Bottom line: very good pre-amps, very good sims of studio gear, okay sim of guitar amps, DSP on the Apollo twin gets eaten up quickly, not enough hardware inputs for the money (imo).

Depending on what you need I have to suggest taking a look at the RME fireface UCX. Awesome and extremely flexible - the mixer software is superb - you can even run it on an ipad.

Just my 2 (or in this case maybe 3) cents.
    Happy New Year everyone!

I really don't know - I have been using so many OSses over the years ... The introduction of the context menu on Windows happened around the release of Excel 5 I believe - which was in the mid 90s. But I knew it from Nextstep (which was an Apple spin off) and I believe that it was a feature of the original Xerox OS - where both Gates and Jobs stole ideas from.

I have never been a drag and drop guy - Apple Mail is also right click -> delete - but it has its benefits - esp. when you work with multiple Windows or programs at the same time.
    Dragging items to the trash can never seemed like one to me though. I still prefer the keyboard and the use of short cuts for simple tasks within a program. So "select" the item(s) and CMD+Backspace is it for me in RM (works in Finder & Apple mail too).

btw: cmd+backspace is documented on page 24 (keyboard shortcuts) of the manual - you get there with cmd+? - LOL

Enough smartassing on christmas eve. ;)
    Happy Holidays!

Now why didn't I think of that before asking? Probably because no other Mac app works that way!

Objection your honor!
    Finder ?!!! RM mimics Finder - I select, right-click, delete (move to trash) all the time on my Mac!

You are missing out on a few cool features and fixes - including latest versions of Rig Manager.
    Are you certain the people you got this from actually own AND use a Kemper?

I understand the idea of a bug list, but I walk with Ingolf in this one.

In addition to Ingolfs points I'd like to add:

A bug list would become a topic of its own to discuss - it would draw attention and give the impression of a very faulty product - even when many bugs only appear under very rare circumstances. A focal point for negativity. A bad strategy for a business in my opinion.

Not all users are very kind - we have registered users who don't even own the Kemper. Nothing could prevent people from taking a bug list out of context and taking it to other places to support other products by talking about how "flawed" the Kemper still is. The idea - supporting the Kemper & its users - would be turned into the opposite immediately. Also not a good strategy.

as soon as you update your os - you almost always have to update to the latest version anyway.

Apart from that - read the change log and see for yourself if there is a new feature or a bugfix you need/want.

I am still against RM taking this direction. Recursive Folder searches will slow RM down significantly when you search. You will waste space for empty structures. The perfect example of how it should not be done - imo - is the windows registry.
    Please give the idea of a database a longer thought and try using RM in the way the Kemper team has designed it. It has many advantages if you can let go of treating RM like explorer/finder.

Man your attitude is way off. This thread is about a guy looking for some help/explanation on his tailpiece.

No need to hijack this thread and make it your personal rant about Gibson and what you or John Doe think about their guitars.

Interesting views.

First - I doubt it!

But even if it was true, why would that kill the toaster or render current purchases useless?

The toaster is an independent hardware device that you take everywhere, connect your guitars too, power your guitar cab with ....
    A plug-in would never replace that.