Posts by waraba

Hi , I will probably play a few covers gigs live and I wonder if there is a way to mimick double tracking on a live setup.

I will play on a stereo PA, is there a way to balance my guitar on just the left side or the right one , then both for verses ?

I would like to switch by foot with my FCB, from panned to full stereo, is it possible ?

Hello Raoul, some profiles are definitely designed for mix and not meant to be played live. I think about MW ones for instance, or the ones from Andy.

I believe they are made to be layered and still stand clear on the mix without adding mud. They usually lack a bit of basses, since they are usually filtered at mix time with bottom cuts. They also complement each other. I often append to mix the mids and treble up , then lowering the basses on my mix , it's easier to apply it on the rig before recording (like double tracking) even if the track sounds a bit weak on its own, it will sit very will with bass drums.

I have a special fryette rig , really bright one , that I only use for adding trebly overtones on a clean recoding, I heard Alan Parsons did this for floyd on classic albums, it works very well. This one sounds really tiny on it's own.

I keep a few ones for special recording use only, carefully tailored for my guitars with minor tweaks on the fly when I record.

It's also easy to start from a killer rig (the one you'll jam with till the middle of the night) and transform it into a recording tool : sharpening the clarity , definition and giving a bit of direct mix.

Hi , why the hell are some of you posting some hardware mods in order to achieve these tones ?(

Your original tone is already close , and it's just a matter of rig tweaking and recording tricks to me.

As stated above , it should be done with your tele or strat and a dirty driven amp rig (JCM800 , cranked fender ...) and doubled tracked. The tone must be crafted in order to retain some string separation in the drive, simply adjust gain (not too much ) , then definition (string separation ) , clarity (around 1.5 for mix cutting highs) and a hint of direct mix (like 0.3) and you'll be fine. Double tracking with both the tele and strat should give some great results as well.

As an exemple, check this simple dirty rig I did upload a while back , it's tweaked in this way, an old vibrochamp fender with a good grungy vibe : Vibrochamp'66 clean / Vibrochamp'66 heavy ( bonus : you'll also achieve your cleans just by lowering the volume pot on your guitar).

Maybe you should just try to save the best cab out of the pack and try it with your favorite amp profiles, I personnaly just saved the CAB from the metros and use it on lots of amp profiles and it sounds so good, especially while recording. I really dig the miking and overall balance on the cabs, it's pretty unique to me.

Also remember that MW does many mix and multitracking, so these rigs may not be suited to sound that huge on their own. Regarding your guitars, do have you a single coil or a classic LP to do more tests ?

And after all like Raoul said, it's a matter of taste, if it doen'st do it, switch to other rigs. I stopped testing Andy's rigs , I know how Andy is putting tons of efforts in profiling, but I stick to the older profiles he did , the new ones do not fit my gear anymore, much to bright and crisp for my taste, but lots of people seem to dig them to the death ...

+10000
    I miss the old mode, it was flawless for me and very staight-forward.

Another trouble I got is the browse mode : almost every time I want to switch to another rig I end up switching the FX I was editing one take ago , this leads to a double trouble ( no SVR joke inside :P ) I don't append to my next rig AND I loose definitelly the carefully set FX I just set up ... So bad X(

Yes the tone is great , not so hard to mimic , you obviously need a strat like guitar and some good fingers ;)

Regarding rigs, the dumbles from Mr Britt should do it, or a great mesa rig like djemass or Thumas (free) ones, but with a carefully tailored gain and maybe by lowering the vol and tone pot on the strat. Also notice some of the attack are done with fingers.

I hear lots of long verb and a delay and maybe a hint of air chorus on the tracks , they give some great sustaining notes and a smoother attack as well.