Posts by crhfish

I spent some time early this morning while my ears were fresh to try a few things. First let me explain that I planned on using the new DA profile feature to enable me to profile all of my amps direct and then have the ability to add an already good cabinet profile to them. This is not what this new DA feature was designed to do, but it should be able to do it. I compared 3 profiles I had of higher gain amps. I had the direct profiles saved so I was comparing 3 profiles with cabinets added and merged to three profiles with cabinets added and not merged. The merged profiled sounded fuller, better, but similar, the other three unmerged sounded more distinctive, but less full, weaker.

The bottom line for me seemed to be that merging a cabinet into a direct profile can give you some good sounds but with certain cabinets its going to make all of the profiles sound similar. I'm not sure if that is what the intent of this thread is all about or not. What makes this more difficult is there is no way to know if a profile was a studio profile or a DA profile with a cabinet added and/or merged.

My new mics came in so I am going back to full profiles for a while.

Thanks for that information, but I am still confused. Perhaps when I get home I can record some sort of demo of what I hear. I have a good profile that I did of an Avatar 2-12 V-30 cabinet. I actually saved several of them with different mic positions using 3.02. Then the mic I like to use for this crapped out, started hissing, etc. So I thought no problem, I can do some direct profiles of the other amps and add the cab in that I allready have. So I would think that with what you have described above when I find a cab I like after a direct profile by hitting the cab button and scrolling through whats available, that when I then hit the merge button the sound would not change. But in my case it does, it gets real bassy and this may be whats making these higher gain profiles sound similar. In my mind what is described in your post above, hitting the merge button should not change the sound, it just makes the profile capable of being split for live to cab, live to foh purposes.

I thought you had to merge the pofile to save the cab with the direct profile. I have not tried saving one without merging yet. I need to try that.

I for one don't feel the need to prove anything on this issue. The kemper is a product and it competes with a few other high end modelers that cost about the same amount of money. The folks at kemper are the ones that can either prove or disprove what is being talked about in this thread. This is their product. I would think they would be interested in this. This thing issupposed to model amps and reproduce the sound as close as possible.

I'm not even sure what the merge feature is supposed to do anymore. I thought it was simple. You have a DI profile and you want to add a cabinet to it, so you find one you like and merge it to the DI profile? Thats what I thought but I'm not sure now. Its going to be next to impossible for any of us to record a convincing comparison because micing will always be an issue.

It seems to me that it is much easier to get a "good" profile now. One that sounds good, but the profiles don't seem to sound as distinctive or as close to the original amp. Before getting a "good" profile took more effort, you had to have your mic's in a good spot, but when you got a good one, to me they sounded VERY close to the amp being profiled.

That may be it. I also noticed that you can do a direct profile and then start looking for a cab to add to it. While you scroll through the sound changes just like it used to do as you hit each cab. After you get to a cab and hit merge, then it seems to get real woofy or bassy. I'm going got play around it some more tonight.

I have to say that I noticed the same thing today when I did some new profiles. I had laid off for a while waiting for the new 3.0 software to get a few bugs worked out. Today I profiled my old Marshall SLX, a H&K Switchblade and a Laney GH50L. Now I think all three of these new profiles sound great, but My mic broke on the first one so I was left with doing only direct profiles and merging a cab in that I had saved. I could make the profiles sound different by changing the gain. All of these amps have some high gain ability but a couple have much more than the Marshall. When I got done, they sounded good, but VERY similar. Perhaps my old ears are tired but something seems to have changed. I do think its associated with the higher gain amps. I did a couple of clean amps today also and they sounded very different and unique.

No more pawnshop mics for me, I broke down and ordered me my first m57 today.

I put up a few more profiles and focused a bit more on channel one. This amp, for those that might be interested has two channels. The first is based on the original EF86 circuit. This first channel has a bright switch and a bass switch. On the profiles I did the first number is the bright switch position and the second is the bass position. I left it in Pentode mode. The second channel is based on Top Boost circuit and it has two tone controls. Both channels run through the Top Cut control. At first glance the amp does not look like it can produce many versatile sounds, but actually it is very flexible the more you play with it.

I focused on profiles more in the vain of the Edges sound, the brighter side of the Vox amps. I did try and put up one thats darker more like a Queen sound. Its got the term Fullcut in the name. The nature of this brightness or darkness is mostly in where you set the Top Cut control. Confused yet, I know I am.

I ordered a holder for my mic so I don't have to dangle it anymore.

<p>Hays here. &nbsp;I'm glad you like the AC15. &nbsp;I did use a redbox and wound up with a need for a brighter cab to match it to, so thats why the Bassman Cab is on there. &nbsp;I redid it today along with a few others of the same amp. &nbsp;Miced this time with the Alnico Blue speaker. &nbsp;Vox AC15 TB Bad is the rig name. &nbsp;It seemed to be fairly close to the old one.</p>

I'm sure your not supposed to mic it this way. But as luck would have it, I am unencumbered with any knowledge of how to do it the right way. This mic can get Dramatically different sounds just by rolling it around. I would never make it as a sound engineer, I'm afraid.

These are my first tries with the new 3.01. I also used a new mic this time, one I got off a sale table at a pawn shop for $20. Its a sterling st59. It was to large for my current mic older so I had to hang it by looping through the handles of the amps. It did a great job that way and it has a filter switch and a shape switch that really change the sound. I found allot of sounds just playing with these switches and rotating the mic position trying to keep the same location. The Marshall SLX is one of the old 900 series models and its basically an 800 with an added gain stage. Its one of the models that used the 5881 tubes. The Vox is one of the Anniversary hand wired models. Its a great amp with plenty of sound for such a little thing. Three profiles of each one.

With the new 3.01 and my new expensive mic, I did not have to load up another cab to get the sound I liked. So all of these profiles are with the original cabs. The Vox has a Celestion Blue and the Marshall was profiles using an Avatar with two vintage 30's in it.

Today I did some new profiles using the latest 3.01. Sometimes when doing a full miced profile it would recognize as a direct profile when I was done. When it did this I just clicked on the cab button to light it up before I saved it. Its that the way the new system is supposed to work? I've read the new manual and it did not say much on the subject.

Th rig I recorded above is the GT 75 Clean 10 profile from the new Kemper merged pack. I also got a similar sound on the GT 75 Clean 12. I did nothing to the profiles and was plugged directly into the Kemper, no stomp boxes. No other effects engaged just the straight dowloaded profile. I will try and get my wife to look at the LED's. I ocassionally allow her in my man cave guitar area. I'm away right now and will do it when I get home.

Unfortunately Mr Kemper, I am completely color blind. I can see the little lights but I can't tell what color they are. I did check my input sensitivities and they were at the original settings.

I think they know about the issues, I just think they have their hands full right now with the foot controller coming out. I predict that when they do get it fixed, shared cabs may be much more usable than they were in the past. Using the new method I profiled some cabs that I really like and they share well with other rigs. Thats a first for me to a large extent in terms of cabs.