Posts by keno

I'll second the vote for the Cornford Harlequin 10:00--I love that profile. However its got a bit of crunch on top (just how I like it) so it won't suit if you are looking for pristine.

For a pristine sound I like Pete Turley's "PT Fender Twin" from the exchange. Also there are some recent Mesa TA-30 profiles on the exchange (from clean to crunchy) that are really sweet.

I fairly often see network issues between California and the Kemper server. Not sure what's up there but there's definitely an issue somewhere along the path.

--- kemper-amps.com ping statistics ---
    42 packets transmitted, 33 packets received, 21.4% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 196.856/257.991/522.060/97.674 ms
    PING kemper-amps.com (212.227.84.81): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=0 ttl=46 time=201.075 ms
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=470.628 ms
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=204.943 ms
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=4 ttl=46 time=537.930 ms
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=5 ttl=46 time=198.082 ms
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=6 ttl=46 time=199.581 ms
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=7 ttl=46 time=206.897 ms
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 8
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=9 ttl=46 time=445.192 ms
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=10 ttl=46 time=365.243 ms
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 11
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=12 ttl=46 time=206.830 ms
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=13 ttl=46 time=198.747 ms
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=14 ttl=46 time=201.814 ms
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 15
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 16
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 17
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 18
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 19
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=20 ttl=46 time=486.622 ms
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 21
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 22
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 23
    64 bytes from 212.227.84.81: icmp_seq=24 ttl=46 time=201.971 ms

You always need an amp profile to work from. The profiling process measures the response of an amp in a way that can't be reproduced by simply tweaking parameters on a model.

One thing I noticed is the sound is not loud. Is there something I need to do to get a louder tone to my interface?
    I'm using a Focusrite 2i2. which have a much lower vol. than any mixers I've used in the past. Another thing I've found ( also a newbie ) is that many of the samples have low volume. For an example of higher output, try the Morgan AC20.

I have a Focusrite 18i6 and I use the XLR outs rather than TRS for my interface. It turns out that the XLRs are +10 while the TRS is +4; the extra 6dB seems to be just the ticket for the Focusrite.

You can set up a effects loop in the X or MOD slot and hook up your iPod that way with a couple downsides:
    -- The iPod will run through the delay and reverb.
    -- You have a mix control on the loop rather than a separate gain on the return.
    Overall it doesn't work very well and I recommend getting a small line level mixer instead.

I run into much the same issues with my looper pedal which I really like to have post effects.

So I'm thinking , when profiling an amp it's best to do it "hot" then roll it off when using it thru the Kemper.

That has been my conclusion--I set the gain on the amp higher than I want for the rig and then back it off in the Kemper.

Connecting to Kemper (both the main site and the forum) from California I periodically get timeouts which cause some (or all) of the page to fail to load. I haven't traced it yet, but there seems to be somthing flakey about the connection from here to Germany. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?

You might very well be correct, but the name had Dumble in it before I started tweaking it ...

Yep. Ceriatone Dumble clone it is, but its still a great profile. Out of the box it sounded pretty bland on my Strat, but some (heavy) tweaking really brought it to life. Someday I may order one of those Ceriatone kits.

Other favorites of mine:

Pacocito's Harlequin profiles.
    and44's Budda Superdrive 18
    The Rig Pack #2 Bassman profiles.

From the manual:

Not an equalizer in the traditional sense, but it does use equalisation to work its magic. By emphasizing certain frequencies on one stereo side, while attenuating them on the other, it creates a subtle stereo ef- fect. This is done symmetrically, so that when the signal is summed to mono, the effect is completely can- celed out with no coloration to the sound.

It sounds like a pair of matched EQ stages which sum to 1. Imagine separate graphic EQs for left and right where the boosts in on channel are perfectly matched with a cut in the other so the sum is unity gain.

[quote='donbarzini',index.php?page=Thread&postID=42043#post42043]

Look - the fact is I love my Kemper - but as my post says I think I am not really in the FAN category anymore - I was looking at an Axxe and /or Mesa Boogie Rig when I stumbled on Kemper and fell in love :love::love: - I blogged all over the internet and FB - but lately it seems like the Kemper team has forgotten about the user base, customer base - sure we have FW upgrades appreciate that, and love the new rig pack - but come on an editor should be something they could knock out on a Saturday afternoon - and WHY no performance mode? I have also provided a few suggestions of improvements and / or features but never saw a reply - now I am really not expecting a reply - and just because I would like to see new features does not mean they make sense or even apply - I get it!

Software is my day job so I perhaps have more patience for these things than most because I know how long they take. Trust me--you don't want a librarian that someone knocked out in an afternoon. Just sorting out the cross platform issues (supporting both Windows and Mac is a necessity in the music business). That said, if you look at the back of your Kemper you'll notice a Network connection--I think there is a potentially opportunity to build the Rig management in as a service you connect to with a web browser neatly dodging all the platform issues. I'd love it if I could plug a WiFi antenna into the USB and connect to the Kemper from my iPad.

Overall, since Kemper is committed to backward compatibility, I think long term the community is better served through features that are carefully thought through over those that are rushed.

A good piece of advice I received recently is that you should buy a product for what it is, not what it will be.

That said, I bought one of the original Virus synthesizers many years ago. It was a great instrument out of the box and I was happy with it. However once every 6 months our so Access would provide a free update and my great instrument would get better -- more polyphony, better effects, a vocoder, etc. -- and to this day I still use free features of the Virus updates that didn't pay for and didn't expect to have.

My KPA is great as it is. I have a set of a dozen rigs that together largely replace three amps (along with a bevy of stomps). More than that, it's not the three amps that the modeler happened to go a good job on, its the three amps that I really care about and all the control I would have over those amps I have on the front panel of the Kemper with no need for rig management or a computer based editor. Sure there are lots of features that would be nice, but fundamentally the KPA does the job I hired it to do at half the cost of the gear it replaces.

Kemper earned a lot of goodwill from me with the Virus and I am sure I will be delighted with the new OS releases over the next few years (my Virus on OS 4.5 and my KPA is only on OS 1.1). However if there is never another update for my KPA I will still have gotten a good value for my money.

As far as I can tell, when using S/PIDF the Kemper has to be the master and your interface must be set as a slave (or else you will get pops in the audio as the clocks drift).

Currently I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 and it works great as an interface however, unlike the MOTU, the Focusrite doesn't work as a standalone mixer. The Scarlett is working for me but, if I had to do it over again, I'd kick in the extra $100 and get the MOTU instead.