Posts by kempertron

Mmm, pretty good, but kind of has a weird fuzziness/buzz to it. I dialed down the presence, treble and mid just a bit (schecter with SD distortion) and that fixed the eq but the "fuzz" was still there (in the mids). But I am a noob. So feel free to ignore! Thanks.

Same here (no cab). I really like the sound of this one, but even if I turn off the compressor in the amp menu and load a cab, I detect barely audible weird noise while playing. Could be my setup though. The output jacks on my UA-1000 are all shot, but I don't hear the same noise on my all-time favorite clean profile (free AC30 Clean1 by Joptunes in RE with gain turned down a little if needed.)

Yeah, I'm just confused by this. It seems like there would not be a way to deconvolute the cab/mic contribution from the amps natural eq given only the final response. But maybe Christoph Kemper is a wizard! Maybe he's using the time-dependent amplitude decay of physical speaker outputs to infer their contribution or something. Neat to think about anyway, and cool that it works.

I'll just throw this up in case you have trouble with SPDIF reamping (I KNOW I DID). These are just my notes to myself for my stuff, so may or may not be helpful for you...

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Kemper SPDIF reamp how to with Edirol UA-1000 and Reaper v5.12/x64 on windows 7

*****************************************************************************************************************************
    Kemper settings:

Hold input button and make sure that the "Input Source" is set to SPDIF Input Reamp

*****************************************************************************************************************************
    Wire up:

Audio interface SPDIF out coaxial cable (port 10 on my interface, Edirol UA-1000) goes to Kemper S/PDIF IN
    Kemper S/PDIF OUT coaxial cable goes to audio interface SPDIF in (port 9 on my interface, Edirol UA-1000)

Hardware buttons:

On fronot of EDIROL UA-1000 interface, make sure buttons:
    EXT CLK, DIRECT MONITOR MONO, and DIRECT MONITOR SOFT CTRL, and ALL are all engaged (lit) Make sure ADAT is NOT lit

Software settings:

In Reaper, put di in a track and click ROUTE. Click Add new hardware ouptput dropdown and select the
    9: OUT 9-10/OUT 9-10(10) option (this can be kind of buggy, sometimes have click on it and hit enter, then try again)

Add another track and make the Input:Mono option IN 9-10. Click the Record Armed button.

I have record monitoring off on both tracks because I still have the Kemper MAIN OUTPUT LEFT going to the front panel INPUT 1

on my interface (with pad engaged and gain adjusted), which gets monitored directly.

In the UA-1000 Control Panel in on Windows 7, can unselect OUTPUT MONITOR 1&2 to NOT hear DI while reamping, just processed

return... See images for total panel setup...

Reamp away!

The Cabinet module is activated, because the KPA has recognized it as a Studio profile, and when you deactivate the Cab module, it implements it's CabDriver algorithm, and does it's best to intelligently subtract what it calculates to be the contribution of the cabinet (in this case, the Torpedo Live IR-based cab sim) from the amp signal.

We are on the same page Tritium. For my first attemp, I was just planning to make a studio profile, but I was just surprised that the kemper could "intelligently subtract what it calculates to be the contribution of the cabinet". Seems dubious from an electronics standpoint, but maybe it's just subtracting some default cab response. Anyway, in the future I'll hook up my countryman 10 between amp and speaker and take DIs that way.

Thanks for your response!

So started profiling my mesa roadster tonight. Ran amp to torpedo live (load box/speaker sim), and then took torpedo live line out to Kemper. Made profile. Yay! Then noticed I could deactivate cab (with button on Kemper) or switch to other cabs in the Kemper. How is this possible? It should not be able to subtract the effect of my torpedo live as I never gave it an amp only DI. What magic is this? Does it just subtract some generic cab impulse that it totally just makes up, or am I missing something here? ;(

Thanks!

if you upload anything to Rig Exchange or place a link to a file here in the forum you need to be the ORIGINAL author. that means that you have taken the profile yourself. and you have not used e.g. a cab or amp created by somebody else as a part of the final Rig or Performance.
    gs

Mmm. But I see rigs on the exchange that have free IRs as cabs made by other people... Also, there are rigs up on the exchange that use free IRs loaded baked right in or in a torpedo device.

I guess to be on the safe side I can just do DIs of the amps I have, and recommend the commercial IR I use with it in the comments or something. Or find a good free one and bake it right in.