Posts by b_ryan

Hey man 🙂

The input is already set to “S/Pdif reamp input” for this purpose.

I only refer to Left/Right because the manual wrote it that way. When I record both dry and wet signal through S/Pdif (Git/Stack) it must be viewed as two inputs, right? So I basically just look at them as two channels that can do both two ins or in/out.

I select the output of the DI track as the S/Pdif 1/Left. As I see it on YouTube and in the manual, that is correct.

I select the input on my track for the reamped signal as S/Pdif 2/Right. Again it’s what I see on YouTube must be done. And I believe the manual says the same. So my routing must be correct 🤔 It’s the same as saying, what you’re saying. You just call S/Pdif In and S/Pdif Out instead.

In fact….I’ve tried reversing it many times as well. I just didn’t mention that, because I think that I have it right.

Last time I used the reamping feature, I used my old audio interface and it worked. Now it doesn’t. But since I can record both clean and dry signal at the same time through S/Pdif guitar/stack, I would think that the new interface works fine and it’s a matter of me overlooking something.

Hey good people. I’m very embarrassed to admit that yet again I struggle with reamping through S/Pdif. I’m just not good friends with the reamping game apparently.

My Kemper settings:

Input: S/Pdif input Reamp

Output: Git/Master mono

Freq: 44.1kHz

My DAW: Cubase 10

DI track: Output set to S/Pdif left

Track for reamping: Input set to S/Pdif Right and output set to Master Out in Cubase.

Freq: 44.1kHz

Interface: Babyface Pro FS

Windows 10

S/Pdif cables both correctly connected.

What I read from the manual the left side carry the DI signal and the right side carry the reamped signal. So I guess my input/output choice on the tracks in Cubase are correct.

When I hit play I see the volume meter bouncing on the DI track. But there’s no sound. The track for reamping is armed for recording. And it doesn’t matter if I have the monitor on or off on this track. If I press monitor on at the DI track the volume meter stops bouncing. I cannot hear either the DI signal or the reamped signal. The reamped signal does not enter Cubase.

The S/Pdif connections are fine. I can record both the DI signal and the distorted signal at once.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

You might have chosen Loop Stereo and are just feeding the return signal into the RETURN. Loop Stereo uses RETURN plus ALTERNATIVE IN.

If your external gear is mono, use Loop Mono or Loop Distortion instead. If your external gear is stereo, use two cables, one for leftm one for right.

I think, alls this information is in the Main Manual.

Nevermind. I made a stupid error regarding my audio interface. It’s completely new and I have to get accustomed to its software. Had only routed the right side of the mono mix to my headphones and didn’t realize that it was coming out of both speakers. It was only the headphones, that was the issue. I mainly use headphones.

But thanx anyway.

Well, it is not the best strategy to blame people who want to help you! I give up!

That’s totally fine. Like you assumed that I could guess or tell something out of this phrase and the manual page, I just assumed that people would think that going for the manual, would be the very first thing to do. This time it just didn’t help me, because it’s something to with with stuff elsewhere than what I read there, that you have to have some sort of knowledge about. It’s not basic knowledge imho. And last time I used it, it was plug n play. Nothing had to be changed and I change nothing myself. So WHAT had changed 🤷🏼‍♂️ Not something I had done, since I’ve only changed profiles the last many years. I never touch settings like these, because stuff like this can happen. I’ve actually only touched S/Pdif settings at one time.

So I’m sorry. But your initial answer, to me, came off as an arrogant answer. I’m sorry if that’s not the case though. I’m still not able to connect the dots between these sentences in the manual and what exactly has to be done. Not even now where I know, what I had to do. I can’t see the link other than, you have to have knowledge about the unit than just this.

It works now. But the sound is only coming from one speaker now, which is a bit annoying. Any suggestions how to get it out of both speakers? I tried switching between mono and stereo on my RME Babyface software. Not working.

... The Loop Distortion is made for connecting distortion pedals to the PROFILER and is only in mono ...

And how was I supposed to know, what this means in regards to my issue? This does not tell me anything really. It doesn’t tell me, that for it to work, I have to press a certain button. It might tell you that. Not me. But I cannot read that info out of this phrase. For that to be a very clear solution, you have to have a higher level of knowledge than me in regards to in/outs and routing possibilities. You might immediately think that the answer is clear. I do not connect the dots. Because I had already tried out different stereo/mono changes to the output section. And that alone left me hanging.

On page 1 of the Output settings there's a checkbox at the top labeled Monitor Stereo. You didn't mention that in your descriptions of what you have set. If can still be checked if the Monitor is set to off. When checked, it says beneath that checkbox "Direct Output used for Monitor Stereo".

Or you see it in Rig Manager as a button labeled Stereo to the right of Monitor Out.

If it's on or checked, try turning that off.

Ahhhhh.....now I see. Didn't get that. It works. Thanx man :)

Main Manual 8.5, chapter Effect Loop (Pink), page 270!

No offense. But I don't like answers like this. I already read this and didn't get any closer a solution by reading this. I read it again just because you posted the link to see, if it made sense regarding my issue. I doesn't. Where does it exactly say, what I had to do in this section of the manual? These answers rarely help and just come off with an arrogant attitude like "read the freakin' manual, loser". Perhaps not all are as clever as you regarding tech and the Kemper and might need it broken down into non-manual language and instead just a basic "go do this and it will work". In fact I seached the internet for a solution and I watched many youtube videos to try to sort it out myself. Only to be met by an answer like this. And by linking to this section of the manual, you just assume, that people/I have knowledge about loop functions, routing and ins/outs in tech like this. You assume that I can read this section and think, that what I have to do is press this little button and it will work. I would never be able to solve this issue by reading this section of the manual. So please....in the future consider how or if wanting to help at all. Look at how easy it was for them to help me sort this out.

Okay….I’m halfway there. Got the AUX out the way. Now it says: “Effect loop is disabled. Monitor output is set to stereo”. It’s the message I got in the beginning.

In the output section:

Main Output: Is set to “Master mono”. It makes no difference what I chose here.
    Monitor Out: Is set “off”. It makes no difference what I chose here either.
    Direct Output: Is set to “off”.

S/Pdif: Is set to “Git/Master mono” I use this connection to the pc.
    Aux Input: Everything is now set to “off”.

There still only is the clean signal and the loop cannot be enabled.

Hey there good people. I’ve tried figuring out what is wrong with my setup. I want to connect an external drive pedal in the FX loop of the Kemper. I mainly use RM to navigate. I have some issues. Nothing happens with the sound.

My connections:

- Kemper return input to pedal output

- Kemper Direct output/send to pedal input

I select a slot in RM and have tried to chose all three loop types. I get this warning in the RM: “Insert loop effect disabled. Monitor output is set to stereo and aux is in use”.

What does that mean? I went to the output page in RM and tried changing Main Output from stereo to mono and Monitor output which is off was turned on in both stereo and mono. Nothing changes.

I tried to change AUX input in the Output page from stereo to mono and that’s where the last part of the warning appeared. Up until then it only stated the first part. I changed the AUX Input back to stereo and it stays the same.

Last time (a couple of years ago) I connected an external pedal it was pretty much plug and play. I don’t get what is going on here.

I hope someone has some helpful insight on this issue.

Thanx in advance 🙂

I don’t know about you, but I’ve heard a lot of keyboard players doing synth leads with a guitar sound, that sound pretty convincingly. The Dream Theater guy for instance just to name a famous musician. But also strings, sax etc. etc. sounds so more realistic with a keyboard using the wheel.

In regards to the music today being dominated by synths. Yes, very true. But why should someone doing beats or electronic music in general select the guitar as a trigger, when a keyboard is far superior? As for now nothing has really changed. The choice has always been there. I tried to with the Axon, but it’s just translating so bad with trigger faults, dynamic playing etc making it weird and not very intuitive. I dumped this idea pretty fast as it easier to turn on the midi controller and experience no BS. I really see no place for this in a professional working environment in regards to beat making. For that the midi controller will be very tough to beat. Guys n gals doing that shit also tend to go the keyboard way anyway. It really makes no sense to me. I can only see it being what it has always been. A niche thing.

Stuff really has to change immensely for it to be more than a niche thing imho. Today it still isn’t near good enough. It might be someday. I’m surprised that nothing has changed with the speed of today’s technology. And then again. Why select an inferior trigger over a superior trigger? The guitar might become okay, but I highly doubt that it will become anything but an inferior trigger compared to a midi controller.

Let’s meet up in 20 years and have a beer and discuss, who was right. The loser will pay ( you of course 🤣 ).

Nikos Bends, vibrato and slides have been possible for at least 15 years. It’s a matter of settings within the unit. It’s just that most of these things sounds bad. Bends and vibrato can be okay though.

You actually say it really good. “Strings have much more ways of expression”. That’s what makes it difficult to transform into synth territory in a convincing way. At least regarding acoustic percussive sounds like piano for instance. Synth leads and pad sounds have always been okay and transform way better and have done so always.

I hear ya….old assh… here as well 🤣. But I still have doubts about this, since technology hasn’t really improved over the last 15-20 years since the Axon appeared with a new method of tracking. And teens have always been there. So has the people that push the boundaries and search for the next big thing and seek new territories, They’ve always had this opportunity, but yet it has never taken off. It’s still a niche thing.

I do agree with you and others, that we will see more of this in future products like AXE FX, Kemper and the like. Kemper has already put in sounds that resemble synth pads. I’m not sure if the AXE FX has taken it a step further and called it a guitar synth. I’m not really interested in that unit. I will go as far as stating, that pad-like synth sounds can/will become useful, as it somehow is easier to reach an acceptable transformation. But sounds of acoustic instruments like sax, piano and the like, is another story. But synth pads and synth leads have always been there and been okay if your playing is very clean and adjusted to the tracking sensitivity. And since it’s always been there, I highly doubt that this will become anything other than a toy.

And I really can’t see what a guitar synth brings to the table, that a keyboard doesn’t. It’s way easier to reach the desired solution with keys. But it’s fun on a guitar nevertheless. It’s fun playing sounds on a guitar, which are not meant for a guitar.

If the guitar is a part of the past. I don’t know if that’s true. We are in an era where electronic music dominates the charts, but people will always go for the guitar. If you like rock, metal, blues etc you will pick up the guitar. And the metal community hasn’t been bigger than it is right now. I’m a metalhead and can tell you that metal festivals appear everywhere now. In my little country almost every city has a metal festival now. It’s crazy….and a sign that guitars will not go anywhere yet.

Nikos In Denmark where everything is more expensive than the US and other places besides Norway, the Axon 100 MKII was certainly not expensive. Neither was the Roland stuff, when I looked into it 12-15 years ago. So no…not for the elite regarding money. I bought the Axon from new for under $1.000….here in Denmark where we dream of US prices.

Yes, it was absolutely for the players, that could play really clean. And it still is. I got curious and viewed a few videos of the Midi Guitar 2 on the tube. Hadn’t heard of it before. I see it’s exactly the same thing now as with the Axon, I used 12 years ago. You have to adapt another playing style and play really really soft and clean and the percussive-like sounds of pianos and the like still sounds like those from the 80’s. Still not developed into being anyway near usable. The way they have to stop the chord to strum a new is exactly the same as well.

If that’s the new generation, I see no difference. Of course….the mega reverbed pads-like sounds in the Kemper and in the AXE-FX etc are easier to handle due to them not being so delicate regarding bad playing technique.

But I do agree. It should be a part of the future. I just don’t see it going to be anything but a toy. Unless you only use the pad-like type of sounds. Easier to trigger the patch than a sax, a piano etc. And because of it not being sufficiently developed yet, I don’t see it being anything other than the few, that has always sought new paths. The few, like me, that like to experience and always throw themselves at the new tech out there.

I have personally always sought the future of guitar and recording. I had my first digital studio setup back in 1999 in my room at my parents, when everyone still used tape machines and no one really had this at home. That constant search for the new thing on the market eventually led me to the Axon, the Kemper, guitar not made of wood etc. Had the Axon for a few years. It was fun and nothing more than that. The way the Midi Guitar 2 is tracking today…..15 years after the Axon technology, has not really moved forward. I’m a bit surprised actually. With todays speed of usb, chips etc. I’m surprised that it seems like it still is not possible to do a realistic guitar synth besides the pad-like stuff. The pad type of patches were also very easy to track 15 years ago. A guitar synth, to me, is not just the pad patches, but opens up for the entire selection of sounds on a keyboard/synth and as long as that has not been improved, I can only view this as still being just a toy.

Nikos I don’t know kids who play. But I know a lot of adults though and no one has this. I’ve never heard about this being normal. But that does not mean, that it isn’t. I just highly doubt that statement. I triggered Reason with my Axon. No problem there.

Like I stated earlier. The tech has been here for decades. It has always been a niche thing. I cannot see it suddenly become big. The Axon had all the boxes ticked. And to state that young people has no limits when mixing playing styles, leaves me with one question. Are you saying that people has not done this for 50 years? I mean….the first jazzy/fusion death metal record I know about came out in the early 90’s. People has always experimented. As I see it the only difference is, that today there are a lot more genres to mix than 20 years ago. I don’t see musicians today as more innovative. There has always been people pushing the limits, it they are not the masses.

But I hope that you’re right. Because why not.

lbieber I kinda agree with you. Especially piano and organ sound like crap with a guitar synth. Up until now that is. I have never heard a realistic piano or organ from a guitar synth. Never. I haven’t heard the latest attempts of course. But with that aside the Axon could do some crazy and cool stuff, that absolutely was useable. The way I mapped out almost the entire fretboard with flawless triggered sounds, was so cool.

I’ve been playing guitar synth since the Roland GR700 , been using a GR55 since it came out

Yes….there will always be people who adapt these innovative things. Including myself. My claim is that it probably won’t go mainstream and be something every guitar player suddenly buys and uses. If the Axon didn’t appeal to all guitar players why would this? If the newest Roland doesn’t appeal to every guitar player why would this? I believe it’s gonna be a niche thing as well as the Axon and Roland stuff.

But I welcome all new tech. I love it. Probably not gonna throw myself at this though. Been there and done that.

This will become big. I mean this whole guitar-synth-modeler-plug in thing. Fractal and Line6 will follow.. it is part of the future ..

I hope the man who did the virus has some big surprise on this matter for all of us in the near future. He should.

Maybe. I’m not so sure though. Guitar synths has been around since the 80’s in various formats. I’ve owned the Axon AX 100 MKII guitar synth for quite some years. It was so awesome and the stuff you could do, was insane. I could pretty much divide the fretboard up in endless combinations and zones and could for instance play all synth and percussion parts from the Ghost Busters song. Intro and everything. Without changing any presets, settings etc. I had everything layered out on the fretboard in different zones and different strings. Tracking was close to perfect with piezo pu’s.

And still….it didn’t really turn into a trend within the guitar world. Only adventurous people like me, who constantly seek new paths and new tech jumped that ship. With the Axon the world of guitar synths finally was able to take it to the next level by great tracking and possibilities that nothing prior to this could possibly match.

So I’m gonna be a bit hesitant regarding the future of guitar synths, since there already has been a solid solution. Unfortunately the company seemed to go bankrupt or something. I’m gonna state that it’s not gonna be something that goes viral in bands. It might be something for people at home to try to avoid playing keys. The bad thing is that you cannot get that keys-feeling on the guitar. It’s usually very weird when playing piano for instance.

But who knows what’s gonna happen. I love all new stuff. I play a “plastic” guitar and ditched wooden guitars, I bough the Kemper when it was released, I had my first digital home recording setup back in 1999, I ditched guitar amps almost 20 years ago, I had the Axon synth, never really had analog guitar pedals and so forth. If this guitar synth leads the way for new cool stuff….awesome. I hope that it will. I doubt it though.

leo helm I see what you mean and agree to a certain extent. But the Kemper is the perfect counter example. I’ve heard that RME is really good and reliable regarding updates.

BayouTexan I use my volume knob for headphones and for monitors everything single day. I don’t have only ONE volume level I use while recording, jamming and mixing. So it’s paramount for me to have easy access to volume control. On top of that I often have to use the software to mix the volume between input level and output level. Especially when going from guitar to bass or from distortion to clean guitar. So if that could be accessible through the interface, I would love that. I think the Babyface has that. But that’s not as important to me, as I don’t do a lot of changes like that doing a session.

But yes….input levels stay the same….pretty much.

The only thing I worry about is the fact that Focusrite didn’t update drivers for my Saffire 14 Pro for many years. So I’m a bit hesitant to invest in an audio interface that has been on the market for many years already. I would prefer a newer interface, so the drivers get updates many years out. I know bugs and newer hardware is often unavoidable, but with new hardware they will often focus more on getting rid of bugs.

I’ll be looking into them all. The Motu as well. I’m just not sure that the way the knobs are set up, is something I like. I kinda like having a dedicated knob for headphone and a dedicated knob for monitors. Here you have to push the knob to switch between these and the way the knob is placed looks like it’s gonna annoy me, because I always have a set of headphones attached. Maybe it’s a small thing and it IS the only thing that kinda holds me back on the Motu. It’s a workflow thing. And as I see it the S/Pdif is not visible on the display either. Or maybe it’s every input it will show. But I’m considering it.

I’ve been considering the Antelope Zen Q, but apparently you have to connect to the internet before every time you use it. That seems annoying as my computer often not is online. And they talk about an eco system and that Antelope have problems with support and the unit itself has had issues. I’m digging the look and the big knob though even if it’s controlling all outs. But I’m afraid that there are to many “don’ts” by going Antelope.