Posts by cmbrowns

From page 334 of the current User Guide:

✓Performance Mode in your PROFILER has no open pool, having 125 fixed locations instead. Therefore, importing Performances requires Rig Manager, where you can paste each Performance to its intended location.

You're probably confusing individual rigs and performances.

1 => if I have Browser Preset 22 in Slot 4 of Performance 4

Maybe you need to think about this part differently. You've really just copied the settings from your Browser rig 22 to a rig in your performance. Beyond that there is no connection between the two. You could delete your Browser rig altogether (or for that matter you could delete all Browser rigs) and it would have no effect on the rigs in your performance.

Also, you would edit any existing rigs from within the performance, not in the Browser pool. Click on one of the 5 rigs in your performance and its settings display in the editor. Make sure you have double clicked the performance you want to work on to make it active. Otherwise, it is possible to be editing a rig on an unexpected performance.

Kemper presets (effects/stomps/cabs, etc.) all work that same way. You add copy their settings into a reg slot and there is no longer any connection to the source preset.

Linking vs copying settings is a design choice each with their own pluses and minuses. Kemper chooses the copy approach.

Hope that helps.

I'm very satisfied by the sound i get from it using the cab of a Boss Katana as monitor, but i have issues in recording.

You may be happy with the Katana monitor, but unless you used a mic on that cabinet that's not what you're recording. Maybe just try monitoring your Kemper through whatever monitors or headphones you use in Audacity. Find a profile with a cab that sounds good that way and it should sound the same in your recording. Once you pick a profile with a cab you like for the recording, you could still use your Katana through the Kemper monitor out bypassing the cab if it helps your performance.

Yes, people will likely be adding something to the Rig name. But that kind of misses the point. There is and won't be a real standard naming convention or specific tags to set. There is no way to sort the names in a meaningful way to see only Liquid profiles since that LP. LQ, etc. could be anywhere in the name.

It's not much of an issue now when this is all new and there are only a handful to look through. But in a pretty short time, there will probably be many. Even folders would only work if Kemper created them, and people use them.

There are already about 20000 rigs in the Exchange, and folders are already in use in pretty much every other section of RM. It seems pretty obvious that there will be many more liquid profiles be added from this point forward. This is just a suggestion to try and help organize them into something a bit easier to navigate. Other examples might be things like DI, acoustic, bass, merged profiles and so on. How well do you think the Rig Packs sections would work without its sub-folders?

Obviously, there are ways to try and filter them for viewing using naming, tags, no cabinet, search and so on. But since folder are already used elsewhere it doesn't seem like a real stretch.

Better dynamic range. On just about every profile there is a static quality to the sound and feel where the tone is not nearly as touch sensitive as it is with a real tube amp. With a real amp, when you play light there is one tone and as you progressively dig in, not only does the sound get louder, but with many amp and settings, there will be progressively more gain as you dig in.

Turn up the Power Sagging on Amplifier settings. This is exactly what it does. I usually set it to around 5 to get what you describe.

I have considered it for a second or two.

But as long as I don't see the community of (digital) guitar amps using parametric equalizers - or even for a better start, graphic equalizers - placed before the amp (!) to sculpture the guitar sound going into the distortion in a very easy way, I have no hope.

Maybe consider adding an EQ to the Kemper input? Then there could be input presets and leave the 4 Stomps for effects.

But actually they are correct as first effect in the line

While there could be some specialty IR's that might benefit from slot position, I'd completely disagree for Acoustic guitar. The 3Sigma IR's and all other acoustic IR's I've used work perfectly in the Cab slot. No need at all for them to be in a stomp slot.

But nothing wrong in asking for new feature. I'd requested this same thing years ago.

That's true, but the ABCD stomps get unusable and you can not chose a cab for your favourite acoustic guitar amp. Also the amp gets unusable, as you already stated. Or do I see this wrong?

Not sure what you mean by that. You can always use any amp and cab combination you want with all Stmp and Effect slots available.

I use 3Sigma IR's with my acoustics and Piezo guitars. You can use any amp you want, or turn off amp altogether, but if you turn off amp you disable the EQ section. I find best results by using a Cable profile. There's one called Cable Direct on Rig Exchange. It's just a profile of a guitar cable so much the same as turning off the amp, but still allowing you to keep using the EQ controls. Or there are other amps for acoustics like Bert Meulendijk's and so on. Then I use the 3Sigma IR's as the cabinet.

One thing I've found with the 3Sigma IR's is that setting to Character all the way up to +5 and Pure Cabinet to 10 give me a much better result than having them at zero.

All of the Kemper Stomp and Effects slots are useable.

Or maybe the easier question is...how can I take a rig from one performance and store it in another using rig manager? Or on the Kemper...less preferred.

Maybe one way is to open a second RM window. Click the Window menu item, then new. You can set one window so you see your performance. then the other window looking at rigs in your library. Drag from that second window to the slot you want in your performance.

I think it would also works from one perforance to another the same way.

I just tried a few drag and drops and they worked for me. I was able to drag Rigs from performances in All Performances\MyProfiler or All Performances\Local Library.

Example:

Create a folder under All Rigs\Local Library in your RM. Select your Performance so you see it's 5 rigs. Click on the Rig in your Performance you want (1,2,3,4 or 5).

Make sure you can see the Local Library folder that you created in the Tree View.

Drag the select rig from your performance to the folder you created under Local Library.

My guess: this would be the same thing as we get today if we profile the reference amp at its max gain and then turn the gain on the kemper profile up from there.

Agreed on the gain. But I think the overall sound could still be a bit different because of the BrightCap option added when using a Liquid Amp Model. That wouldn't exist when using the Kemper Generic.

If you're seeing Gain Pot Ref, sounds like you're looking at the Kemper itself. Maybe that's part of the issue.

I'm just using Rig Manager and setting the morph on Generic Gain, which then morphs Gain along with it. And yes, it saved with no problem.

I'd guess they still have to work out how best to handle the gains. This is only a first beta for LP.

Gain and Generic Gain are tied together so changing one changes the other (even though different values). At the moment it allows you to set Morphs on both, even in impossible ways like setting one lower and one higher at the same time.

They'll probably decide to eliminate Morph on one of the two to avoid this kind of conflict. For me at the moment, I just set a Morph on Generic Gain and saved the Rig to Local Library. Comes back fine if I reload it. WhenI tried saving with morphs on both gains both were ignored, and really should be ignored since that would be impossible.

To me it sounds more like a routing issue in the Daw than a Kemper issue. The feedback would probably be your Daw output somehow being fed back into the Kemper input. Maybe check how you have the routing setup? Are you also using the new Kemper USB audio that might somehow be part of this? To check that you might unplug any USB from the Kemper and try the Daw again.

Aside from that, the XLR's can be very high output. Using the XLR could be making your interface see this as a mic level instead of line level. You might try it with a TRS to TRS or a regular guitar cable to see how it affects things.

That's seems like a pretty insane shipping amount, so you'd want to be really sure there's something very wrong in hardware. Wouldn't be much fun to go that route and then get the Kemper back with a "nothing wrong" report.

My issue on Windows 11 is different than the Mac.

On Windows Rig Manager opens, I can click around for 5 seconds and then BLAM! Freeze, unresponsive. Tried everything including working with their support. I mean everything.. kemper unplugged, unplugging any usb hubs and trying (per their suggestion). In other words, I can't even get it to open and be functional, with NOTHING connected.

With what you describe, you're beyond forum advice.

But a few last suggestions -

You say it opens. If the Kemper is not connected at all, it should still open. Just no editor section. Not sure what you mean by clicking around, but without the Kemper does it still crash? if so, that wouldn't be a bad USB port. If not, do you have content in RM? Like something in Local Library?

When it crashes does it seem related to any specific rig or folder you click around in?

Try selecting a Rig and copy then paste it to some other folder. If that works, RM would seem to be OK and would seem to point back to the Kemper.

Maybe with that small bit of troubleshooting you could give Kemper Support something more to focus on.

Good luck.