Posts by Janne

Update: I just got my Uno4Kemper chip, and it makes the 1010 a dedicated Kemper controller, a real no-brainer! (unless of course you need to control other devices with it too...!)

Regarding my issues with the 1010 using AC-power is that I don't like to have any types of power supplies upfront (esp. wall warts...) and I'd like to cut down on any cables running from my rig to my spot on the stage.
    On my current stage rig I use an ADA midi board that is phantom powered through the midi cable. And on other occasions were the board didn't support phantom power, I've wired my own cables carrying both midi and power in the same cable and split to appropriate contacts at the ends.
    I was planning to do that with the 1010 and make this kind of cable using full AC Power is a bit more risky...
    My ideal would be a dual direction midi cable with power to drive the 1010.

I just got a used 1010 for €58 and I'm impressed with the build quality and the feel of the pedals and the switches.
    I've ordered the UNO4Kemper chip and that will make it even 'more perfect' for the job.

The downside is (IMO): it's quite large, and it needs AC power (what were they thinking?), but for the price there is nothing even close...

Bob Katz did these tests...

... and debunked it as a myth, largely due to bad filter technology in the early days of digital recording.

Nyqvist teorem does work, but it needs 'ideal' filters to remove audible artifacts.
    In the early days, the filter technology could not handle this so at lower freq it would be audible, the solution to rise the sample freq just placed these artifacts above the human hearing.
    And suddenly everyone thought that higher sampling freq = better sound...

These filter issues is now long gone and even budget AD/DA converters have filters that handles this.

But people still thinks higher sampling frequency gets a 'more natural sound'...

(disclaimer: this is what I got out of B Katz book: Mastering Audio)

Andy, when do You think the rest of the Pack 5 demos are up?

I was thinking to buy a couple of single rigs and before the 22:e rebate runs out, and I'd really would like to here some of the other Pack5 members...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Andy haven't yet published any sound files for Pack 5.
    What You see on the website is an 'empty' player, ready to do it's job when the sound files are done.
    (You CAN play the other sound examples?)

I have them, too, on my Kemper and can confirm they are uneffingbelievable good. Make sure to try the Stereo Widener Effect on some of your profiles. It's a treat.
    And please do report back when you've found a good USB audio interface. I run a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 connected to an iMac at the moment and hate it with a vengeance. The mixing software is crap, runs no longer than about a quater of an hour before it crashes and often takes Logic Pro with it. :thumbdown:

Another very satisfied ADAM owner here! :thumbup: I have a pair of the 'older' A7, and they are wonderful.

But it's shocking to hear that You are not pleased with the Focusrite?!

I've been using their Saffire PRO 40 firewire interface for years now, without a single problem. (even recorded a couple of live shows with it)
    I've used it with both my MacPro rig and also a MacBookPro, running Logic 7 - 9, rock solid!
    Easily the most robust and good sounding interface I've tried.
    Have you been in contact with Focusrites support?

They do have a stellar reputation both for their customer support and fixing bugs in their drivers. (and they seems to be Mac users themselves!)
    I wouldn't say that the mix software is crap, but it IS confusing. But it seems to be a common problem with audio interface software, the more it can do, the harder it gets to figure out how...

You using Harmonic pitch in the post position? I found it much better here and lacking the sort of artifacts I was getting in the pre position. The tracking is rather good isn't it...

Yup, I also noticed that is sounded much better here. But I had to lower the volume of the fx to around 20 to not notice the artificial hi-end, and then the harmony note almost got drowned...

BTW. That delay is a nice effect!

Ok, here is my view on the new pitch FX.
    (big disclaimer: I'm not a big user of pitch FX's, but have used them occasionally over the years.)

Now the tracking and 'latency' is better than anything I've tried. :thumbup:

But one thing bothers me, mostly when using the Harmony mode, the 'pitched' note gets a slightly artificial tone that stands out esp. using a hi-gain sound.
    And I wonder if other units are not producing that much high-end harmonics? (not as high-quality?)
    So maybe a lowpass filter/tone control on the transposed signal would make it gel better?
    Am I the only one hearing this?

I also wonder if the request from others for a delay parameter is due to the impressive tracking speed... :P

I have a hard time to get the 'Owner of a Lonely Hart' lead sound with the KPA, and thats usually not that hard.
    And I suspect it's due to the awesome tracking speed makes the bends too clean, and not that screaming, almost ringmodulator-ish, sound when bending and the 5th is lagging slightly behind.

In all, an impressive update! :thumbup:

I would probably take the one that sounds best AND are within budget.

There is no PA that HAVE a flat response. So it would be a mistake to claim that a certain monitor will sound 'more like' a PA.

On the other hand, how did the Solton compare to the Box?
    I'm kind of fond of the idea that the casing of the Solton let me put the KPA on top of it, if I don't use it as an wedge...

The company side of things here really is shamefully disrespectful and it's a pity.

It kept me from buying a Kemper for a long time. I asked about it on another forum and was assured that CK stands behind his product with constant updates and moderation -
    what they didn't say is that by 'stands behind' they mean 'protect', the constant updates are for CK and not the users and moderation means belittling people.

Please explain this for me?
    I've been a member here for more than 6 months and I can't remember ever noticed anything close to what you are describing, what have I missed?

What strikes me really odd is the fact he is boosting @160Hz with a grafic EQ before the amp and cuts precisly that frequency with another EQ after the amp section. That doesn't make much sense to me and I would never come up with that idea myself.

I guess that by pushing that freq into the amp, the distortion will produce a series of overtones that will color the sound nicely, and then remove the unnatural 160Hz peak afterwards while retaining it's overtones.

The Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 looks like a great interface, if You don't need more than 2 micpres from the start.

With 2 Mic, 6 line, 2 SPDIF, 8 ch ADAT inputs it will allow You to grow, in a half-rack size, for €288, it's a bargain...

I decided to go Focusrite many years ago, starting with Saffire Pro 26 i/o and now Liquid Saffire Pro 56 and for mobile use with tablet PC or notebook I have a Scarlett 2i4. Great quality, great driver support, perfect usability for me.

+1

I have used M-audio and Tascam interfaces and always ran into driver problems.

So I got a Focusrite Pro 40 based on their reputation of good preamps and great driver support!

And I would do it again, no problems at all, been good sounding and very stable performance over the years.

Very welcome NIL! (although I'm a newbie myself...)

Unfortunately, there aren't many girls playing electric guitar, I have two daughters that are more into the acoustic and I give them all encouragement I can...

Then I also have noticed that most girls aren't as 'nerdy' as a lot us guys regarding technology. Heck, a lot of guys aren't either...
    In one of the bands I play, I'm the only one that spends time roaming the internet after stuff like this... I've tried to explain for them what this space toaster I've bought is, and they are not even interested...
    Fortunately, in another band most of us are engineers, so 'geeking' is mandatory... :rolleyes:

Janne