Posts by paults

Yes - contact Kemper support, or your retailer, right away.

My guess would be a physical issue with the switch, or the knob attached to the switch. Does the switch move into the five different positions (OFF, Tuner, Browser, Perform, Profiler), with a physical "stop" at each position?

While I would like Rig Manager to be able to control the global MIDI program number assignments, and/or create and edit Performance Banks, I would also vote for new features instead of a full-blown software editor.

An editor might be very helpful for users who have their Kemper remotely installed, but I think the majority of Kemper users do not have one remotely installed.

I have a VHT Valvulator (they were originally sold by VHT) in my pedalboard - it has been there since my Vetta days, too:)

With lesser modeling products, it can add a warmth and roundness to the sound, as well as enhance the dynamic range. With some of those, I had mine AFTER the processor - it has enough dynamic range to also work as a "tube power amp with line level output" (the current Roland COSM amp models benefit from this approach) . Besides its intended uses, it also helps the dynamic feel of 1st and 2nd generation Variax guitars, too (I've not played the recent ones).

With the Kemper, it works just like it does with my Jubilee or Deluxe Reverb (or any tube amp). It adds a subtle sound of its own, softening the feel a little, rounding out the high end a little. Not necessarily an improvement - just different. Changing tubes can fine tune it, but those differences are even more subtle. In a controlled listening space, different brands of tubes can tailor the results, or even try 12AT7 tubes for wooly warmth and different dynamic range.

It is strictly part of my live rig - I don't use it when recording. The Kemper feels fine without it, and the sound is too subtle to hear in a full mix.

Its main benefit with the Kemper for me is that it has two low impedance outputs - so, long cable runs are not an issue. And, the second output is connected to my talkbox.

Onstage "balls" depends entirely on what you play it through. I use a Bose L1, with one subwoofer. (I sidewash it, so it does not compete with the guitar sound in the Mains.) It easily kicks as hard as my Marshall and 4x12 cabinet, with all the dynamic range, and could provide more low end than the Marshall, if I wanted it to.

I wouldn't recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 simply because it doesn't have SPDIF (makes re-amping much easier). Consider spending just a little more to have SPDIF.

The Mbox has Stereo S/PDIF digital I/O, if you want that option. Maybe its because I started recording before reamping was practical, but I would finish fewer songs and instrumentals if I didn't just pick a sound, and record the part :)

Agreed about the possibility of sound treatment - especially if your room has reflective surfaces (like a garage/unfinished basement). But, if your room is reasonably dry sounding (like a living room/ bedroom), and you and the speakers are away from the walls, you don't necessarily have to treat the room to get good mixes, as long as you use commercial releases for a reference.

Also, get this free book, and watch all his free video tips. He makes new ones, all the time, too. The tips translate to other DAWs, if you decide against ProTools. After you have seen all the free content, his paid video series are very good, too - when I switched to ProTools from Sonar, the time they saved me were more than worth the price.

The Recording Revolution

Will you record any vocals or acoustic instruments? If so, a microphone or two would be useful. They don't have to be expensive.

No vocals? Then you won't need anything else. All you need is an interface, the DAW software that comes with it, and a decent pair of monitors. Really learn how to use the stuff, before thinking you need to buy more. So much of the music you hear on television was created with very little gear, by people who have learned to get great results from it.

Interface/Software:
    Given the choice of a free version of ProTools or of Ableton, I would pick ProTools. So, I suggest the MBox. Nothing wrong with Focusrite/Ableton - but if you think you ever may want your music to be mixed for a commercial release in a Pro Studio, they'll be able to easily open your ProTools project. Any other software DAW project would likely need to be converted to multitrack audio files before the studio could mix it.

And, you don't need to buy additional Plug-In software effects to get decent mixes. Get used to the effects bundled with the DAW, until you know what you really can do with them.

Monitors:
    As long as you directly compare commercial releases to your mixes, as a reality check, you can mix with any decent monitors. The important thing is to train your ears to use the monitors you buy, and work on your skills to end up with good mixes.

Some say the Yamahas are harsh. The people who like to mix on the Yamahas say they aren't harsh at all. If you can hear the Yamahas in person before buying them, and YOU think they are harsh, I suggest also listening to the JBL LSR305. But, if you like the sound of the Yamahas in person, you may find the JBLs to be too boomy :D

If you are curious about hearing many different monitors, here's more than you want to know about the comparative sound of studio monitors - you'll hear they all sound a little different from each other, and you'll probably like some of them more than others:

Sonic State Studio Monitor comparison clips at SoundCloud

If you are always going to use IEM monitors, and feedback style sustain is important, I think you would get more versatile musical results from a Sustainiac than from a feedbacker-type effect. There is also the eBow.

There was a software version last summer that had slightly different preamp gain response than before, or after - that may the change you are hearing?

I've not heard any added harshness, compared to the amps I have profiled, but I haven't profiled anything buzzy yet. A friend of mine is loaning me a Mini Recitifier soon, though....... :)

As far as the Bogner goes:

"The Bogner has huge low-end, not so much in the way of mids, and a rasp to the top, much higher than the majority of the fundamental sound, that I couldn't dial out"
    from a Rig-Talk Bogner XTC review....

A buzzy sounding amp with 75 watt Celestions will have some harshness, even if a Sennheiser 421 is used to profile it.

Wel, after trying 2 highly recommended frfr solutions that i definitely not liked at all, i lost my convedence in the forum hypes concerning speakers. A Profile can sound bad on speaker A and beautifull on speaker B and vise versa for the next profile. And besides that, every session i hear something else and have to ajust my opinion. So I even not trust my own ears anymore. The only thing i learned is that there is no better or worse. They are just all different. whith this in mind i dont think the clr has more chance to stay then any other speaker that i can order with a free shipping back option. Of couse this all does not mean i am not interested in de clr anymore 8)

People are offering suggestions, based on their experience from owning and using the products. Different people like different things. Some people like everything. Some people don't like anything.