Budget FRFR

• Still 50 euro shipping to uk.. i am a litte concerned about that I did not liked two public favs in a row.
    I will wait for an easy opportunity to tryout the clr or the other high recommended options. Thanks for the suggestions!

well, 5% is not so much, considering how high the probability of keeping it is.
    It's like receiving an invitation from a store about a cab which is impossible to come across, reading "come and try our cabs for 50 €. If you buy it, we'll cut the price for you of the same amount".
    I'd do it, if I were highly interested (I am, BTW :D )

• Wel, after trying 2 highly recommended frfr solutions that i definitely not liked at all, i lost my convedence in the forum hypes concerning speakers. A Profile can sound bad on speaker A and beautifull on speaker B and vise versa for the next profile. And besides that, every session i hear something else and have to ajust my opinion. So I even not trust my own ears anymore. The only thing i learned is that there is no better or worse. They are just all different. whith this in mind i dont think the clr has more chance to stay then any other speaker that i can order with a free shipping back option. Of couse this all does not mean i am not interested in de clr anymore 8)

• I completely agree they are all different. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

And I feel there is a lot of hype about the CLR. I like mine and I'm in no hurry to sell it. But definitely some hype.

• Wel, after trying 2 highly recommended frfr solutions that i definitely not liked at all, i lost my convedence in the forum hypes concerning speakers. A Profile can sound bad on speaker A and beautifull on speaker B and vise versa for the next profile. And besides that, every session i hear something else and have to ajust my opinion. So I even not trust my own ears anymore. The only thing i learned is that there is no better or worse. They are just all different. whith this in mind i dont think the clr has more chance to stay then any other speaker that i can order with a free shipping back option. Of couse this all does not mean i am not interested in de clr anymore 8)

People are offering suggestions, based on their experience from owning and using the products. Different people like different things. Some people like everything. Some people don't like anything.

• This.
    As for the CLRs, they are the most linear and transparent solution under 2,000 currently available. IOW, they do what they've been designed for. Of course one may not like them, but this another story. Maybe you don't like the FRFR concept in itself. But, if what you're after is faithfullness to the original profile, the CLRs will give you exactly this, and will do it at the best for the money. Furthermore, they are the only coaxial system with phase coherence we'll have probably access to in the next times.

My general idea about what you've written is that trying the CLR would be a great test to realize your actual relationship with FRFR. If you don't like them, then IMO you don't like how a linear, non-guitar system sounds.

As a side note, when using a linear system remember to untweak the profiles you use, in case you'we tweaked them for a guitar amp or cab. Sorry if this is obvious for you :)

OTOH, you must definitely use what makes you happy. Good hunt!

:)

• My general idea about what you've written is that trying the CLR would be a great test to realize your actual relationship with FRFR. If you don't like them, then IMO you don't like how a linear, non-guitar system sounds.

Hi,

That's probably true.

I do not care about authentic reproduction of a profile. I just seek what will work for me as a player. I just want to have some fun and made an impulsively as possible choice. I have Yamaha HS50M studio monitors which are relatively flat. I used to play through them and to dial in tones for my recordings. Now, I use different profiles and tweaks for my RCF 312a and recording and mixing purposes, The flat response are fine to mix and use as reference. But for playing I find them too dry and tiring. I have the idea that the CLR tends to my Yamaha monitors. That’s why I am not so sure about the CLR is here to stay after a trial.

• Sure, do whatever males you feel happier :)
    But in the hi-fi realm "relatively flat" is definitely different from "flat". Every couple of cabs has got its sound signature, they sound different from each other almost as guitar cabs do!
    So it's like saying "i don't like hi-fi, I've heard a stereo system once".
    There's much more to a well-sounding electroacoustic device that a flat response. Extension of response, phase coherence, impulsive power, ability to sound good outside the main axis... are only a few of the elements which play a meaningful role in a serious "FRFR" system/device.

You opened this thread asking for a budget FRFR system, and basically my answer is "you'll probably never know how an FRFR system can sound as long as you don't try a good one", where "expensive" doesn't imply "good" necessarily...

Lots of people are happy with a guitar cab :)

• Expensive does not necessarily imply good in the fashion industry perhaps but when talking about FRFR I'd have to say that I've never heard a lousy expensive monitor but I have heard a lot of lousy inexpensive ones.

Trying to play profiles (cab on) thru a guitar speaker cabinet, no matter how great it is is like putting a red filter on your Nikon camera and then putting a blue one on top of that. Now, if you dig that sort of thing then more power to you, but I don't. I prefer clarity.

If, on the other hand, you just love the sound you get from your H&K half stack, then turn the cab off on the profile and have at it. This is certainly a valid option if a bit restrictive. I mean, your Fender Deluxe Reverb profile isn't going to sound quite the same as you would hear out of a real Fender Deluxe Reverb, nor is your Vox profile going to sound true, but maybe you don't care about that and that's OK.

A good FRFR monitor is going to give you options that a guitar speaker can't.