Posts by lightbox

There's not much to "organize" in your 3 disk setup. Use the system disk for system files and programs only. All data on disk 2, and backup disk for backup. Don't partition your disks, this really doesn't help anything other than giving you a fake impression of more disks than you actually have. There's no speed gain when you partition disks. Create your own logic folder structure on disk 2 and you're done.

... but lightbox 4 HDs for one pc? serious?

Actually I have much more HDs incl. various additional SSDs & RAIDs but I just listed the ones I use for audio work. Video editing, interactive multimedia programming, image editing and web design are different story on the same workstation. :)

1. Performance:
    I really love SSDs for system disk, for my VSTi sample libraries and (I didn't list the following 2 SSDs) especially as super fast drives for video editing & render cache.

2. Backup:
    Since you've been asking, I thought it's a good idea to mention a backup drive. Most people underestimate the importance of backups!
    In my case, the "1st level backup" drive is always connected to my workstation and it's a 4TB WD Caviar Black with an automated daily backup process.
    The "2nd level" Backup drive is an external drive that I connect maybe once a week or 2 weeks, depending on my work and progress of projects.

Cheers,
    Martin

I´m no Apple guy but i thought there aren´t any Firewire Ports on their Mac Book Pros anymore which caused many protests some time ago. Did they consider to put them back?

Not a Mac guy either, but I think nowadays it's hard to convince Apple to even provide USB connections. I'm pretty sure if they discover a Firewire interface in their new UFO building, they immediately call an army of pest exterminators.

I really wish they had more dev staff.
    But hey, what should they do all day long, as soon as everything's done and perfect?
    Eventually they would have to develop a miniKPA or other impressing products based on CK's invention and patent.
    And they would still have to deal with user requests for an antibinoxic convolution revolver effect and other technologies never seen before, right? :D

[ ] this (my) post was helpful
    [x] this (my) post is candidate for the most stupid contribution of the month

Cheers,
    Martin ;)

... the guy from the music shop said that firewire is in no way superior to usb2.0 and dying out ...

The guy is right AND wrong. :)
    Of course the popularity of Firewire is pretty much over, history, done.
    But that doesn't automatically mean that it's not superior for audio interfaces.
    As I said before: Chances are high that you already have one or more devices connected to the USB ports of your mainboard. Chances are also high, that you connect an external USB device while you're working with your DAW. All this doesn't have to be a problem, but it CAN be a problem. I experienced problems a few times. With a Firewire interface card chances are high, that you EXCLUSIVELY use it for your audio interface. I haven't had a single problem ever, using various (Focusrite) firewire audio interfaces over the years.

Cheers,
    Martin

The Roland has S/PDIF I/O as well.
    What I like about the Roland is its internal DSP for direct monitoring. Can be pretty handy sometimes, especially when tracking vocals, imho.
    What I don't like about the Roland is the noise and hum of its imputs, especially the Hi-Z (instrument) mode and some issues with the connectors (audible noise when you knock on the case). But that's not my own experience, it's what I've read in some comments on the Roland.

Rig Manager and Performance Mode are two totally separate issues.

Not necessarily true. It depends on how they plan the librarian software and what features it would have. If they plan some Performance configuration with the Librarian software through USB connection (or 2-way MIDI), then it depends a lot on the Performance Mode implementation on the KPA. ;)

But don't get me wrong: I would rather have the librarian yesterday than tomorrow.

USB 2.0 audio adapters are versatile of couse. Every computer has USB, even laptops or tablet PCs. But:
    In my experience, USB audio adapters have way more latency than Firewire audio adapters. And I also experienced problems with USB interfaces when I had other USB devices (external HD or pen drives or dongles) connected at the same time.
    So if you're talking about an audio adapter for your workstation, I would certainly go for a Firewire interface if it's possible with your hardware.

Just my 2 cents, of course
    Martin

Just a quick I/O check of our lunchbox:

• USB B: no use so far
    • Ethernet: no use so far
    • S/PDIF in & out: Very limited use only for few because KPA has to be sync master
    • Big extension hole in the backside: no use, except for one 3rd party amp
    • MIDI out: no use so far

As far as I can see, there's still some potential for improvement. :)

I can confirm that it's no problem to take the lunchbox as hand luggage and it's perfectly made for the overhead compartment.
    You just have to deal with curiosity of the X-Ray guy at the airport :D